Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Marvin Hagler was one of the most complete fighters I have ever seen. Perhaps the greatest middleweight to ever lace 'em up - I have him at number 2.

I had the privilege of watching him train in Brockton - he trained like an animal. Young fighters should look up to him. He always kept himself in shape and always gave 110 percent in the gym.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Considered by who? Mugabi, Antuofermo, etc. were much better wins for Marvin, you donīt need to defend Hopkins, look at his poor title reign, he doesnīt belong in the Top 10 MW ATG...
Hopkins deserves top 10 recognition as well

Last edited by carrot4u; 07-17-2006 at 06:16 AM.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Considered by who? Mugabi, Antuofermo, etc. were much better wins for Marvin, you donīt need to defend Hopkins, look at his poor title reign, he doesnīt belong in the Top 10 MW ATG...
Please name ur top 10 middleweights, lol. Let me guess ur gonna put ketchel in ur top 10, even though he loaded his record on bums.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #19
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Please name ur top 10 middleweights, lol. Let me guess ur gonna put ketchel in ur top 10, even though he loaded his record on bums.

Ketchel died with 24, even though he beat with the likes of OīBrien and Papke 2 much better fighters than Hopkins, so putting him in the Top 10 wouldnīt be that wrong...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #20
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Ketchel died with 24, even though he beat with the likes of OīBrien and Papke 2 much better fighters than Hopkins, so putting him in the Top 10 wouldnīt be that wrong...
The fight with obrien wasnt at middleweight and the fact that you called papke a better fighter than hopkins just ruins ur credibility, come on name ur top 10, i would love to see it.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #21
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
The fight with obrien wasnt at middleweight and the fact that you called papke a better fighter than hopkins just ruins ur credibility, come on name ur top 10, i would love to see it.
Why are you so god damn- stupid? I meant with OīBrien and Papke, that this 2 wins are better than any of Hopkins wins. Read the next time the whole text 5 times, than perhaps even you understand it...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #22
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Why are you so god damn- stupid? I meant with OīBrien and Papke, that this 2 wins are better than any of Hopkins wins. Read the next time the whole text 5 times, than perhaps even you understand it...
How am i an idiot, papke is not a great win like u make it out to be. The entire board usually disagrees with everything you say, not including b-hop in ur top 10 middleweights just shows how stupid you really are.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #23
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
How am i an idiot, papke is not a great win like u make it out to be. The entire board usually disagrees with everything you say, not including b-hop in ur top 10 middleweights just shows how stupid you really are.

No, only SOME black, childish, teenager- nut hugger like you and Clay II donīt agree with me actually...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #24
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Add me to that list. Not including Hopkins in the top 10 seems pretty ridiculous to me indeed. I don't see many others agreeing with that either.

Your opinion. For me, I would spontaneous rank the likes of Monzon, Hagler, Walker, Bogash, LaMotta, Ketchel, Giardello, Darcy, Cerdan, etc. in front of "B-Hop"...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #25
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
Hagler's the greatest of all times. Hopkins only had one outstanding performance - against Tito. otherwise, he's forgettable.
Hagler only had one outstanding performance against Hearns. It was the signature win of his middleweight reign. I don't really believe what I said, but thought I'd just give you some of your own medicine back in return.

Hopkins defended his middleweight title 20 times successfully. And he never had a massive fight until he fought Trinidad, but he beat some very good middleweights. Echols, Joppy, etc.

Hopkins' win against De La Hoya was much more impressive than Hagler's lacklusture showing against Duran. And a prime Hagler as well.

After he was defeated against Taylor, he moved up two divisions and gave Tarver a lesson over 12 rounds. And nobody expected Hopkins to win, with many having him down for the first knockout loss of his career.

Nobody has beat Wright as convincingly as Hopkins.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #26
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Hagler only had one outstanding performance against Hearns. It was the signature win of his middleweight reign. I don't really believe what I said, but thought I'd just give you some of your own medicine back in return.

Hopkins defended his middleweight title 20 times successfully. And he never had a massive fight until he fought Trinidad, but he beat some very good middleweights. Echols, Joppy, etc.

Hopkins' win against De La Hoya was much more impressive than Hagler's lacklusture showing against Duran. And a prime Hagler as well.

After he was defeated against Taylor, he moved up two divisions and gave Tarver a lesson over 12 rounds. And nobody expected Hopkins to win, with many having him down for the first knockout loss of his career.

Nobody has beat Wright as convincingly as Hopkins.

Woah, how impressive, he beat a 35 years old former 154 lbs-man at LHW...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #27
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Hagler only had one outstanding performance against Hearns. It was the signature win of his middleweight reign. I don't really believe what I said, but thought I'd just give you some of your own medicine back in return.

Hopkins defended his middleweight title 20 times successfully. And he never had a massive fight until he fought Trinidad, but he beat some very good middleweights. Echols, Joppy, etc.

Hopkins' win against De La Hoya was much more impressive than Hagler's lacklusture showing against Duran. And a prime Hagler as well.

After he was defeated against Taylor, he moved up two divisions and gave Tarver a lesson over 12 rounds. And nobody expected Hopkins to win, with many having him down for the first knockout loss of his career.

Nobody has beat Wright as convincingly as Hopkins.
Exactly and guys like cerdan and lamotta get ranked in the top 10 for having like 1 or 2 title defences, its hilarious.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #28
SgrRyLeonard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 305
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Definitely one of the greatest Middleweights of all time, and a case can be made for saying he's THE Greatest. I always respected how Hagler was all about earning respect and about his legacy, fighting and beating the best out there to prove he's the man. Even after being champion for a while, he never got complacent or lost that fire in his belly. I've got the utmost respect for Hagler as a fighter.
SgrRyLeonard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #29
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Exactly and guys like cerdan and lamotta get ranked in the top 10 for having like 1 or 2 title defences, its hilarious.


Beating SRR is better than all of Hopkins wins at 160 lbs together. Otherwise Gianfranco Rosi is one of the greatest LMWīs of all times...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #30
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
And that fight was against a blown up Welterweight, itīs sad to say that itīs his greatest performance, but it is, and that should show us how overrated he is, IMO he wouldnīt have against Hagler...
Trinidad was no more a blown up welterweight than Hearns. When Trinidad faced Hopkins he looked like a middleweight. Very broad shoulders, tall and rangey, and physically on par with Hopkins when they shared a ring.

Trinidad also blew away Joppy the fight before Hopkins, and KO'd him inside 5 rounds. Nobody had stopped Joppy before then.

Trinidad can't even make middleweight now. Trinidad was a welterweight who grew into a middleweight, very much like Hearns against Hagler.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013