Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #31
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Trinidad was no more a blown up welterweight than Hearns. When Trinidad faced Hopkins he looked like a middleweight. Very broad shoulders, tall and rangey, and physically on par with Hopkins when they shared a ring.

Trinidad also blew away Joppy the fight before Hopkins, and KO'd him inside 5 rounds. Nobody had stopped Joppy before then.

Trinidad can't even make middleweight now. Trinidad was a welterweight who grew into a middleweight, very much like Hearns against Hagler.

Youīre right, but beside Hearns Hagler beat also the likes of Mugabi, SRL, Antuofermo, etc...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #32
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Woah, how impressive, he beat a 35 years old former 154 lbs-man at LHW...
Aww well, at least he came back after a defeat to prove something, unlike Hagler who walked away and cried for years after Leonard defeated him.

Couldn't care if Tarver was 45. Hopkins moved up two divisions and fought the best light-heavyweight on the planet, and gave him a lesson over 12 rounds. Nobody thought Hopkins had a chance against Tarver.

Ohhh soz Winky Wright, the unbeatable fighter with a bombproof defense who was 35. Hopkins was 42 lol.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #33
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Beating SRR is better than all of Hopkins wins at 160 lbs together. Otherwise Gianfranco Rosi is one of the greatest LMWīs of all times...
He outweighed robinson by 17 ****in pounds, i'm sure if hopkins weighed 160 and robinson was 143, b-hop would win.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #34
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

All you do is look at 1 ****in win on a person's resume and then decide hes the better fighter, god its annoying. Hopkins beat more ranked fighters, he was more consistent.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #35
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
He outweighed robinson by 17 ****in pounds, i'm sure if hopkins weighed 160 and robinson was 143, b-hop would win.

That doesnīt care, Hopkins also came in much heavier against DLH, Wright, etc... important is, that he beat at 160 lbs the better names, thatīs why I rank him higher...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #36
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Hagler was taken the distance by a former lightweight, Duran. The only fighter anywhere near that who Hopkins fought was De La Hoya. Maybe not quite as good as Duran, but Hopkins KO'd him. And Hopkins was fighting in 3rd gear throughout the fight. He could have had De La Hoya outta there inside 4 rounds if he fought more aggressive, but treated it like a sparring session.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #37
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

I donīt discuss with nut huggers...

no, I donīt use that as an excuse because I canīt beat you in a debate, but Iīm tired, out of your frustation you compare Duran at 160 lbs with DLH, Oscar needed the judges to beat the chinny bum Sturm, Duran beat a good fighter in Barkley at 160 lbs... Iīm out of here, this nut hugging is too much for me...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #38
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Well back on topic, i consider hagler as the 3rd best middleweight of all times. This is my all time middleweight list.

1. greb
2. monzon
3. hagler
4. robinson
5. hopkins
6. dick tiger
7. jake lamotta
8. bob fitzsimmons
9. james toney
10. michael nunn
Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #39
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
I donīt discuss with nut huggers...

no, I donīt use that as an excuse because I canīt beat you in a debate, but Iīm tired, out of your frustation you compare Duran at 160 lbs with DLH, Oscar needed the judges to beat the chinny bum Sturm, Duran beat a good fighter in Barkley at 160 lbs... Iīm out of here, this nut hugging is too much for me...
I'm no nuthugger. Trust me, I'm a fan of Hopkins and Hagler. And I'm not biased in anyway shape or form.

I'd give Hagler the nod over Hopkins as an ATG at middleweight, but to rank Hopkins outside the top 10 is ridiculous.

And anyone who thinks Hagler would easily beat Hopkins H2H needs a serious look in the mirror. Look at how Duran's cute defensive stratgey made Hagler look, pretty damn ordinary. And don't give me the if and buts. If Hagler done this, and if he fought this way blah blah.

The style Hopkins employs is the exact style to give Hagler problems. Good lateral movement, height and reach advantages, swift sharp counters from either hand, a solid jab, accuracy, and the ability to match Hagler's strength inside.

Another thing. Hagler had decent power, but he's got as much chance of knocking Hopkins out as Hopkins has of knocking him out. Only one chance, no chance.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #40
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Hagler only had one outstanding performance against Hearns. It was the signature win of his middleweight reign. I don't really believe what I said, but thought I'd just give you some of your own medicine back in return.

Hopkins defended his middleweight title 20 times successfully. And he never had a massive fight until he fought Trinidad, but he beat some very good middleweights. Echols, Joppy, etc.

Hopkins' win against De La Hoya was much more impressive than Hagler's lacklusture showing against Duran. And a prime Hagler as well.

After he was defeated against Taylor, he moved up two divisions and gave Tarver a lesson over 12 rounds. And nobody expected Hopkins to win, with many having him down for the first knockout loss of his career.

Nobody has beat Wright as convincingly as Hopkins.
no. I saw Hagler's sinature wins(s) long before the hearns fight starting with Minter, then Hamsho, followed shortly after by the Lee blowout, then Obel. Hagler never ceased to amaze me with his perfection, his intensity. Hopkins was like a dim red sun in comparison to the all mighty quasar half a universe away. The Hamsho and Scypion fights proved right then and there that Marvin was the perfect creation, the best thing that ever lived.

At the very least, he was on par with the original Sugar Ray of the middleweight division before he declined.

As for Hopkins, he was good but I really don't see how anyone can even think he'd give Hagler a fight. To borrow a line from Ron Standers' wife, "it's like putting a volkswagon in the Indy 500".

Hopkins could get a lot more respect from me if he whipped Roy but he didn't. I'll go along with everyone though and call him one of the greats. He'd give Giardello, and Joey Archer a good fight.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #41
istmeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
no. I saw Hagler's sinature wins(s) long before the hearns fight starting with Minter, then Hamsho, followed shortly after by the Lee blowout, then Obel. Hagler never ceased to amaze me with his perfection, his intensity. Hopkins was like a dim red sun in comparison to the all mighty quasar half a universe away. The Hamsho and Scypion fights proved right then and there that Marvin was the perfect creation, the best thing that ever lived.

At the very least, he was on par with the original Sugar Ray of the middleweight division before he declined.

As for Hopkins, he was good but I really don't see how anyone can even think he'd give Hagler a fight. To borrow a line from Ron Standers' wife, "it's like putting a volkswagon in the Indy 500".

Hopkins could get a lot more respect from me if he whipped Roy but he didn't. I'll go along with everyone though and call him one of the greats. He'd give Giardello, and Joey Archer a good fight.
you forgot to add that the great majority of haglers defenses were against the top ranked contender. none of these b.s. optional soft defenses. he was THE champion not a belt holder like bhop was for most of his defenses. marvelous was the **** of the walk. he went through hell to get a title shot. he was the definition of an avoided fighter. but once he got the titles, he ducked noone. he beat the man in front of him and the next fight was against the next in line.

and to the youngsters. do a little homework because if you truly believe that hearns was his signature win, you have a lot of studying to do before you can talk about hagler.
istmeno is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #42
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
Hopkins could get a lot more respect from me if he whipped Roy but he didn't.
Pretty astonishing to say the least. Baffling.

Read my previous post.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 AM   #43
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Considered by who? Mugabi, Antuofermo, etc. were much better wins for Marvin, you donīt need to defend Hopkins, look at his poor title reign, he doesnīt belong in the Top 10 MW ATG...
Abig fish in a little pond.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #44
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by istmeno
you forgot to add that the great majority of haglers defenses were against the top ranked contender. none of these b.s. optional soft defenses. he was THE champion not a belt holder like bhop was for most of his defenses. marvelous was the **** of the walk. he went through hell to get a title shot. he was the definition of an avoided fighter. but once he got the titles, he ducked noone. he beat the man in front of him and the next fight was against the next in line.

and to the youngsters. do a little homework because if you truly believe that hearns was his signature win, you have a lot of studying to do before you can talk about hagler.
I'm no teenager, and if you read what I wrote after I said Hearns was Hagler's signature win, then you'll maybe realise you have the homework to do.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #45
istmeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I'm no teenager, and if you read what I wrote after I said Hearns was Hagler's signature win, then you'll maybe realise you have the homework to do.
my bad. i did not see the second part.

but to compare the bhop dlh fight to the hagler duran fight is comparing apples and garbage. one was arguably two of the best fighters ever, the other was dlh giving his new partner a payday. i still believe that dlh laid down in that fight. all comparisons between cholo and dlh stop at they were both boxers
istmeno is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum