East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: John Duddy v Michael Medina on the Pacman undercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroBoxing1 View Post
John Duddy hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

this is about as good as he gets hahahaha

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
That was a really good fight. Much better than the main event was (which isn't saying much admittedly).

Obviously Duddy is not world class but he is a ticket seller and an entertaining fighter. I wouldn't mind if we regularly got to see him on TV against fighters who'll make for a fun fight.
ishy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
BoroBoxing1
Train Hard Fight Easier
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
I never said he would, but why laugh at him ?

Just enjoy him for what he is.

did i say you said he would win one,, dont think a did

Other people on here think he has a chance of winning a world title, when the only reason people are fans of him is becuase he gets bashed up.
BoroBoxing1 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Quote:
You laugh but I have to ask.........'Are you not entertained ?'

Love that film.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
did i say you said he would win one,, dont think a did

Other people on here think he has a chance of winning a world title, when the only reason people are fans of him is becuase he gets bashed up.
No, just the way you replied to me seemed to insinuate I thought he'd win a World title(which I don't).

Who cares if other people think he'll win a World title. Some people think the earth was made 6,000 years ago.......I presume you just ignore them so why not apply that same decision here.

People are only fans of him because he gets bashed up ?, that's a ridiculous thing to say imo. It's like saying people are only fans of boxing because people get bashed up. When(well for me anyway) there's a hell of a lot more to the sport than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Love that film.
Who doesn't ?, absolute quality !
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
BoroBoxing1
Train Hard Fight Easier
ESB Full Member

Quote:
No, just the way you replied to me seemed to insinuate I thought he'd win a World title(which I don't).

Who cares if other people think he'll win a World title. Some people think the earth was made 6,000 years ago.......I presume you just ignore them so why not apply that same decision here.

People are only fans of him because he gets bashed up ?, that's a ridiculous thing to say imo. It's like saying people are only fans of boxing because people get bashed up. When(well for me anyway) there's a hell of a lot more to the sport than that.

Who doesn't ?, absolute quality !

I mean like people only watch him for one reason and thats because he isnt in a dull fight theres loads of action when he fights, but he shouldnt be mentioned for titles because of this.
BoroBoxing1 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I mean like people only watch him for one reason and thats because he isnt in a dull fight theres loads of action when he fights, but he shouldnt be mentioned for titles because of this.
Fighters will always get opportunities beyond their quality if they are exciting e.g. Arturo Gatti.

You might say he doesn't deserve a title shot, however guys like Koji Sato, Randy Griffin, Jamie Pittman, Noe Alcoba, Maselino Masoe, Evans Ashira, Emannuele Della Rosa, Sebastien Zbik, Miguel Espino, Marco Antonio Rubio, Gary Lockett, Kassim Ouma, Billy Lyell, Wayne El****, Mahir Oral, Elvin Ayala, Sebastien Demers, Lajuan Simon, Shannon Taylor, Raul Marquez, Giovanni Lorenzo all received title shots in the last few years. Pablo Nasvascues was going to have one aswell but failed his drugs test.

When you considering that's the quality of guys getting shots, that it's ridiculous to put Duddy in the same class ?
I certainly don't, I don't think he looks out of place among those fighters at all, infact he'd beat a lot of them.

I'd give him a very good chance at beating the shot Roman Karmazin who's Sylvester's next mandatory aswell. Karmazin's punch resistance is gone, and he'd not the biggest Middleweight either.

I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning John Duddy possibly getting a title shot in the near future. Winning one is another proposition altogether, but I'm quite confident he'd give Pavlik a better fight than Lockett, Rubio or Espino did.
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #22
barry big balls
You cant handle the truth
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Fighters will always get opportunities beyond their quality if they are exciting e.g. Arturo Gatti.

You might say he doesn't deserve a title shot, however guys like Koji Sato, Randy Griffin, Jamie Pittman, Noe Alcoba, Maselino Masoe, Evans Ashira, Emannuele Della Rosa, Sebastien Zbik, Miguel Espino, Marco Antonio Rubio, Gary Lockett, Kassim Ouma, Billy Lyell, Wayne El****, Mahir Oral, Elvin Ayala, Sebastien Demers, Lajuan Simon, Shannon Taylor, Raul Marquez, Giovanni Lorenzo all received title shots in the last few years. Pablo Nasvascues was going to have one aswell but failed his drugs test.

When you considering that's the quality of guys getting shots, that it's ridiculous to put Duddy in the same class ?
I certainly don't, I don't think he looks out of place among those fighters at all, infact he'd beat a lot of them.

I'd give him a very good chance at beating the shot Roman Karmazin who's Sylvester's next mandatory aswell. Karmazin's punch resistance is gone, and he'd not the biggest Middleweight either.

I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning John Duddy possibly getting a title shot in the near future. Winning one is another proposition altogether, but I'm quite confident he'd give Pavlik a better fight than Lockett, Rubio or Espino did.
Well put big ears........
barry big balls is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

this man speaks the truth. hopefully duddy makes enough outa the game to live nicely and gets the respect for the good honest hardworking exciting likeable, while obviously limited, fighter he is

boxing would be a more popular sport if there were more john duddys
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:

Good post, but ...
That's a horrible list of fighters, (imo Ouma doesn't belong on it), but a lot of those fighters have got title fights because all German promoters are completely without integrity when it comes to matching up their weaker title holders like Sylvester, Arslan, Beyer etc etc
In fact the Germans are terrible when it comes to matchmaking 99.9% of the time. They only take risks on amateur stars who are not ethnically or naturalised Germans.
Come to think of it, what business did El**** have fighting Abraham?
Take a look at how Alexander Frenkel is being matched
I know Frenkel's had back problems, but what possible reason could be given for putting him in with Kelvin Davis, who had 0-6-1 in his seven fights previous?
I know folk like to give ****** stick & deservedly so, but he's not as bad as Sauerland or particularly Universum.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #25
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
Good post, but ...
That's a horrible list of fighters, (imo Ouma doesn't belong on it), but a lot of those fighters have got title fights because all German promoters are completely without integrity when it comes to matching up their weaker title holders like Sylvester, Arslan, Beyer etc etc
In fact the Germans are terrible when it comes to matchmaking 99.9% of the time. They only take risks on amateur stars who are not ethnically or naturalised Germans.
Come to think of it, what business did El**** have fighting Abraham?
Take a look at how Alexander Frenkel is being matched
I know Frenkel's had back problems, but what possible reason could be given for putting him in with Kelvin Davis, who had 0-6-1 in his seven fights previous?
I know folk like to give ****** stick & deservedly so, but he's not as bad as Sauerland or particularly Universum.

I thought someone would say something about Ouma. Kassim is/was a very good fighter, but he was a small Light-Middleweight who in truth wouldn't have had that much trouble making Welterweight. He had no business at Middleweight and as a Middleweight he's not much of a better fighter than the guys on that list. Eg. Rubio would probably beat Ouma imo.

While the Germans do have a habbit of keeping their boys safe, all of Pavlik's title defenses show their not the only ones at it. Lockett, Rubio and Espino is a very weak list of challengers. Now okay two were mandatories and the other was a soft touch at a time when Pavlik genuinely needed it but when you think that's the quality of guys becomming mandatory for the number one guy then Duddy being alongside people like that isn't so ridiculous as some would have it seem.

The Germans are very good at what they do though, most of the time they'll only take a risk when it's another one of their fighters in the opposite corner.
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #26
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
I thought someone would say something about Ouma. Kassim is/was a very good fighter, but he was a small Light-Middleweight who in truth wouldn't have had that much trouble making Welterweight. He had no business at Middleweight and as a Middleweight he's not much of a better fighter than the guys on that list. Eg. Rubio would probably beat Ouma imo.

While the Germans do have a habbit of keeping their boys safe, all of Pavlik's title defenses show their not the only ones at it. Lockett, Rubio and Espino is a very weak list of challengers. Now okay two were mandatories and the other was a soft touch at a time when Pavlik genuinely needed it but when you think that's the quality of guys becomming mandatory for the number one guy then Duddy being alongside people like that isn't so ridiculous as some would have it seem.

The Germans are very good at what they do though, most of the time they'll only take a risk when it's another one of their fighters in the opposite corner.
I think the Duddy hate is O.T.T considering he's a nice bloke who is fun to watch, but every fighter at any level who is perceived as receiving unmerited opportunities/hype/column inches/money gets criticism.
Some more than others.
The two active British boxers who receive the most criticism are Amir Khan & Matthew Hatton, and most of the criticism directed at them stems from similar reasoning.
However if Duddy lands a shot against a Sylvester good luck to him.
I'd much rather see the belt around his waist than some Universum/Sauerland product.
Btw, I didn't mind Ouma getting a shot at Taylor.
Yes he was exceptionally undersized, and I didn't for a second think it was going to be competitive, but his credentials were solid enough for a challenger.
As you've pointed out, there have been far more scandalous challengers in the past few years. You forgot to mention the worst of all - a fight which took place on British soil. I am of course referring to Maccarinelli vs Gunn.
In fact scratch that, Adamek-Gunn was even worse. At least ****** could use the old 'unknown quantity' excuse. Which would've been a load of old (I think i'll censure myself at this point)
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

I kept reading John Murray vs Manuel Medina
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #28
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

George Kimball's thoughts on the Pacquiao card, focusing on the Duddy fight.

kosaros is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum