Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
Jake_Lamotta

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Muscle-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
It's the biceps and lats more than anything. If I could get enough momentum from the pullup to get into the dips position, I'm pretty confident I could push myself up the rest of the way.

Still no-one that does them? Maybe I should've posted this in the Lounge, most of the lads in there probably do a few hundred of these as part of their ninja training.
When you can pull weight above bar dont triceps after that play big part? try weighted pullups and dips should help you in your goal.Have you got a timeline in which you want to be able to do these eg 6 months etc?
Jake_Lamotta is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I can do muscle ups. I built up my strength by doing 3-4 sets of weighted pullups and finishing with a few sets of regular pullups but I went exceptionally high bringing my chin about 8 inches above the bar 3 times a week. Id also try a few every time I passed something I could attempt it on. Once you get 1 rep you start to get the feel for the exercise and your #s go up pretty fast, within 2 weeks of my first rep I could do 7.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

they might not work in a circus but they are true trapeze type guys that shits exceptional
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
ChampionsForever
ESB VIP
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

My goal in life is to be able to do one of those ****ers.
ChampionsForever is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionsForever View Post
My goal in life is to be able to do one of those ****ers.

They look ****ing quality don't they.

The ceiling at the gym is really low so I can't even try and do them with a jump, I might have to weld something together for the garden.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #21
Rakim
Captain ****wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilistStudent View Post
I can do muscle ups. I built up my strength by doing 3-4 sets of weighted pullups and finishing with a few sets of regular pullups but I went exceptionally high bringing my chin about 8 inches above the bar 3 times a week. Id also try a few every time I passed something I could attempt it on. Once you get 1 rep you start to get the feel for the exercise and your #s go up pretty fast, within 2 weeks of my first rep I could do 7.

I can only do about 6 pullups anyway but I don't cheat. Palms facing away from me, wide grip, and all the way down until my arms are straight. I might give the weighted pullups a go, do 3 sets of 3 or something.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #22
Rakim
Captain ****wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Lamotta View Post
When you can pull weight above bar dont triceps after that play big part? try weighted pullups and dips should help you in your goal.Have you got a timeline in which you want to be able to do these eg 6 months etc?

Yeah. I'm only guessing at the moment but I'm fairly confident I could do the 'push' bit because I can do a lot more dips than I can do pullups.

Na, no timeline, it's just something I'd like to be able to do.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
Rakim
Captain ****wit

One-armed pullups...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTOVJhXU5Q0[/ame]

In this video, a young Stephen Hawking shows us what a physical specimen he used to be. One finger pullups....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAkqIG2Zbn4[/ame]
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #24
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I can only do about 6 pullups anyway but I don't cheat. Palms facing away from me, wide grip, and all the way down until my arms are straight. I might give the weighted pullups a go, do 3 sets of 3 or something.
If your doing 6 as it is then you should just keep working at them to build up to about 12 at least before adding weight. Ladders are a good way to go, start at 4 rest 30 seconds, do 3, rest, 2, rest, 1 and do 1 or 2 of those each day or second day adding more as you go and your number should go up. A cool thing that I saw on one of those youtube videos was spelling words by moving your body, I did that for a while and my most pullups was 16 and it went up to 18 and Id do that with a buddy and wed each pick a word for the other to spell out...I hate mississippi. Just some food for thought.

Quote:
One-armed pullups...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I was able to do almost 2 of those with each arm 6 months ago before I stopped training...
Old 02-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #25
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have never tried muscle ups will definately give it a try though. I can do 30 pull ups and a couple of one handed chin ups so shouldn't be that far off.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #26
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton bomber View Post
I have never tried muscle ups will definately give it a try though. I can do 30 pull ups and a couple of one handed chin ups so shouldn't be that far off.
if your doing that you do have the raw strength you just gotta get the technique down and your golden.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #27
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

OK, I officially tried the muscle ups. I couldn't do them. Not one. To be fair I tried them after running two miles, doing abs and push ups. But if I'm to be honest I don't think I could have done them before the work out either. I don't have everyday access to pull up bars, but every chance I get I'll try them.

I think the trick to learn it is doing pull ups with weights on. Keep doing three sets of pull ups a few times week(depends how much access you have to them) and when doing ten pull ups gets comfortable you should add more weight. While doing these I think you should also try the muscle ups so your body starts trying to develope the explosivity needed for the exercise. Keep practicing, strenghting your back, biceps and triceps and in time, I think you'll be able to do them. I don't think I'll be able to train to get it right, but if I learn how to do them I'll post a video here on the training forum

EDIT: I just realized I'm advicing things already told on the thread. The thing is I hadn't read them. However, I also think you could get a friend to sort of spot you and help you go all the way up. This way you'll get a feel of the excercise and feel how much strenght you really need. Have your friends help you less everytime until you can get up by yourself. Good Luck.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #28
Rakim
Captain ****wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaryu View Post
OK, I officially tried the muscle ups. I couldn't do them. Not one. To be fair I tried them after running two miles, doing abs and push ups. But if I'm to be honest I don't think I could have done them before the work out either. I don't have everyday access to pull up bars, but every chance I get I'll try them.

I think the trick to learn it is doing pull ups with weights on. Keep doing three sets of pull ups a few times week(depends how much access you have to them) and when doing ten pull ups gets comfortable you should add more weight. While doing these I think you should also try the muscle ups so your body starts trying to develope the explosivity needed for the exercise. Keep practicing, strenghting your back, biceps and triceps and in time, I think you'll be able to do them. I don't think I'll be able to train to get it right, but if I learn how to do them I'll post a video here on the training forum

EDIT: I just realized I'm advicing things already told on the thread. The thing is I hadn't read them. However, I also think you could get a friend to sort of spot you and help you go all the way up. This way you'll get a feel of the excercise and feel how much strenght you really need. Have your friends help you less everytime until you can get up by yourself. Good Luck.

At least you're honest. My next gym session will involve weighted pullups and I'm trying to find somewhere at work to rig up a bar with headroom so I can practice with that if I get five minutes.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #29
Rakim
Captain ****wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton bomber View Post

30 proper pullups? That's a ****ing lot. Honestly, 6 is my maximum.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #30
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Gymnastics shit that. If I had access to a good chin up bar like in the vid I would start doing these.
thejokerswild is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing