Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #1
ScouseLad
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Groves v Degale, let it happen Frank

From the front page

Haye offers to match Groves with Degale on April 3rd

Hayemaker [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] have offered Frank ****** Promotions a sum of £50,000 for their super-middleweight prospect James Degale to box George Groves on April 3rd at Manchester’s M.E.N Arena. Should the fight go ahead, Degale’s duel with Groves would act as one of the chief support contests to David Haye’s WBA world heavyweight title defence, live on Sky Box Office. “We are deadly serious about making this fight for April 3rd and believe that we have made a more than fair offer for it to happen,” says Hayemaker Boxing’s Adam Booth..

“This is a fight George wants to take now, as he’s desperate to prove a point against Degale. George doesn’t want to wait and risk the fight never happening – he wants to meet Degale as soon as possible and he wants to do it on the biggest stage possible.

“You can’t get a bigger stage than a world heavyweight championship fight. Not only will the world’s media be watching, Groves and Degale would also box in front of a sold-out crowd at the M.E.N Arena. There would be plenty of incentive for both [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].”

Hammersmith super-middleweights Groves and Degale are widely regarded as two of the very best boxing prospects in Britain today. The 24-year-old Degale famously won the gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and is now unbeaten as a five-bout professional.

Meanwhile, Groves, the younger man at 21, is a former two-time senior ABA champion and currently undefeated in eight contests as a professional. Heavyweight champion Haye has hailed him as ‘the world’s best young fighter’.

Both boxers competed for Dale Youth ABC in the amateur ranks and paths crossed in 2006 when Groves defeated Degale by decision en-route to ABA success.

“We’re offering Degale the chance to gain revenge on the biggest boxing night of the year,” adds Booth. “Both fighters have improved dramatically since their first meeting and a rematch as pros would be a great spectacle for British boxing fans.

“This is a one-off fight offer, with no strings attached. We just simply want to put the best fighters in against the best fighters and let them have the chance to become stars. George is ready to do this on April 3rd – we’re just waiting for an answer from James Degale.”
ScouseLad is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Default Re: Groves v Degale, let it happen Frank

WILL NOT HAPPEN

I'd love it if it did happen but no way does it
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
shaun_brown

vCash: 500

Hayemaker have made the first play so good on them. ****** has to make a response now. Keeps things bubbling before the inevitable. But it wont happen in April.
shaun_brown is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Have any really good British prospects met up this early in their careers?
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

I know it will not happen because of the protection fighters get but would a loss seriously hinder either man? I think not fighting each other will hurt both mens careers.

If Groves loses he will come back more determined to prove himself and will make his quest to be a decent Euro level fighter more probable.

If DeGale loses he will know he has to up the training. He will still be backed hard and ****** did wonders for Khan after the Prescott defeat and would do the same for James.

Khan got more slaughtering for his choice to not fight Thaxton when Thaxton looked hot, not fighting Murray when both were at a similar level and missing out on a few other good figts than he did for his loss which to me has made him better than he could ever have been if he had not met Prescott.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
GrovesVDegale

vCash:

It's in the Sun and the Mail too:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And I've done a write up:

Get. It. ON.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #7
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I think this is a bit of a cheap publicity stunt.

That said, there's nothing I'd like more than to see Groves shut DeGale up

If Hayemaker become more active I see Groves progressing real quick, if not he will be on the Latvian taxi driver route for the next year.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I think this is a bit of a cheap publicity stunt.

That said, there's nothing I'd like more than to see Groves shut DeGale up

If Hayemaker become more active I see Groves progressing real quick, if not he will be on the Latvian taxi driver route for the next year.
its a bit of both to be honest.

the reality is this would be dumb to happen now or even at british title level. when a world title on the line its a mega mega fight.

also i reckon DeGale probs gets more than 50k a fight, and if it was to happen it would be on a Frank ****** bill.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
GrovesVDegale

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
its a bit of both to be honest.

the reality is this would be dumb to happen now or even at british title level. when a world title on the line its a mega mega fight.

also i reckon DeGale probs gets more than 50k a fight, and if it was to happen it would be on a Frank ****** bill.
Well, the interesting line from Booth is this one: “This is a fight George wants to take now, as he’s desperate to prove a point against Degale. George doesn’t want to wait and risk the fight never happening."

I don't think they're that confident that DeGale will progress either quick enough or far enough to make a worthwhile fight with Groves further down the line.

Just for good measure, I thought I'd add these:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIhCuN0OQyk[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWBG61iqQis[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXgHsDgX4k8[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJSnPQCtVj8[/ame]
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Or maybe they dont want DeGale getting onto a World Stage a'la Khan and being in a position to refuse Groves a fight until he gets to that level in the way Khan can fob Murray/Mitchell off
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071

it would be great if this fight was made
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

DeGales next fight is a very decent step up. He has faced decent opposition so far, as has Groves.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
ScouseLad
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Let them fight now, theres no guarantees either (Degale especially) will be in a position for a massive fight in a few years.

Its not a big deal if one of them loses their 0, even more so early in their career.
ScouseLad is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
GrovesVDegale

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
DeGales next fight is a very decent step up. He has faced decent opposition so far, as has Groves.
I don't think Barr is really a step up from King. Though hopefully he's fighting over more than 4 rounds, but he should really be stopping Barr with ease.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Let them fight now, if each man gets to a world title in a few years then let them fight again, this is what they did years ago
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum