Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202
Default How to Not Die Against a Southpaw?

**** southpaws. I hate them and I think they should all be moved into their own division...and then massacred with machine gun fire or nerve gas.

How does one deal with these creatures??? I sparred one today for the first time, and it hit me at will with the left hand. Left cross, left overhand, left hook, left uppercut, left hook to the body, EVERYTHING. I couldn't do anything it seemed, and he was by no means an exceptionally good boxer either, just a newbie like myself.

Jab didn't work, he just backed up. In fact, I spent most of the fight chasing him, trapping him, then unloading, only to have all my shots blocked and then get knocked back across the ring by those damn left hands. Tried leading with my right and then finishing with a left hook to the body, but I couldn't get any power on the shots...the right had to travel too far and the left kinda got jammed up.

Had moderate success on the inside, but that's where I took the worst punishment as well. I could land right uppercuts to his head and body inside, but then BAM...out of nowhere something would crack me over the right side of the head.

This sucks, because I'm more of a body puncher. I like to open up with flurries to the head to close the distance, and then tee off on my opponent's ribs inside...but this just isn't going to work against a southpaw it seems, because they have this invisible left hand that comes out of ****ing nowhere inside. Worst part is that bobbing and weaving doesn't work for me either, because I usually use it to set up my left hook to the body, which is NEVER THERE against a southpaw. It gets me away from his straight right and helps me close distance, but it's weird coming up out of it to throw punches against a southpaw.

Help?
KillSomething is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: How to Not Die Against a Southpaw?

Should mention that I eventually resorted to hitting him as hard as I could with left hooks to the head. He blocked just about all of them, but they tend to off-balance him to my right so that he can't hit me with his left hand, which is a plus. I find this works better than circling to my left, which imo is bullshit advice because southpaws know that trick too and will just get into a circling war with you. I think it's best to force them to move to their left if you want dominant foot position. Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything once I got that position, because I was scared to throw my right and get countered with a left uppercut to the liver. GOD I hate southpaws.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Learn to adjust, I'm a southpaw myself
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Learn to adjust, I'm a southpaw myself
Well, there we have it. Jesus hates you
Old 02-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
P4P
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by killsomething View Post
well, there we have it. Jesus hates you
I kinda wish I was a southpaw though
P4P is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4P View Post
I kinda wish I was a southpaw though
I would sell my soul to the devil in exchange for the ability to fight southpaw. Which might not be a bad idea considering it's what every southpaw in history has certainly done...
Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
CrocodileFace
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

My gym is all southpaw's So i deal with them a lot lol. I am one of like 2-3 orthodox fighters. Southpaws are weird cause they see a lot more of you than you see of them. Their stance makes them awkward at first, until you figure out how to work them.
One basic thing you HAVE to do is keep your lead foot on the outside. Since your orthodox that means keeping your left foot outside of his right. pretty basic but staying on the outside of that foot disables his right hand and he wont have much power behind his shots.
Another thing I do is keep a pretty high and tight guard. My trainer has trained me with a mayweather-ish style so that means to keep my left shoulder high and tight.
As for offense I drop bombs with my right hand to their body or head and sort of "follow" the shot. It's hard to explain but i'll make an attempt, after throwing your right hand, you'll head will be on the outside his body, once that happens you just take an extra step, pivot it and drop a left hook on him.

This is my Longest post yet to ESB... Pretty passionate about beating on southpaws . Any specific questions post em here and i'll see if i can help
CrocodileFace is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
G U E R R I E R
Thomas ''Hitman'' Hearns
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 390

I love the title hahaha.

And yeah I never sparred a southpaw so I couldn't tell.
G U E R R I E R is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i only fought one southpaw and i won.i only jabbad,whenever i hooked i just looked like a twat and right hand's were worse.
there were no southpaws in our BC and when i got to spar with southpaws from somewhere else i didn't fare very well.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #10
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

I spar a southpaw multiple times a week, once you get used to the change in distance it becomes easier. If you want to land a jab in between, stick your leg between his, if you want to land it outside his right hand, put your foot outside his right foot. Move to your left to avoid his left hand, watch out for his right hook though. Let your right hand go more freely than you normally would.

Most of all it's experience though, it takes time to get used to.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
I spar a southpaw multiple times a week, once you get used to the change in distance it becomes easier. If you want to land a jab in between, stick your leg between his, if you want to land it outside his right hand, put your foot outside his right foot. Move to your left to avoid his left hand, watch out for his right hook though. Let your right hand go more freely than you normally would.

Most of all it's experience though, it takes time to get used to.
its definitely about where you plant your feet.
one of the southpaws who i was sparring with was a pro and i was jabbing him silly,but when i tried a right lead he hooked me to the body and air hissed out of my lungs like a popped football
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #12
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

The straight right to the body is a southpaw killer, but watch out, the same is true for his straight left.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #13
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
its definitely about where you plant your feet.
one of the southpaws who i was sparring with was a pro and i was jabbing him silly,but when i tried a right lead he hooked me to the body and air hissed out of my lungs like a popped football
Their left hand is perfectly in position to hit you in the plexus or liver. Any punch to his liver will be smothered in my experience, because it's too close and his elbow will be in front of it. That's why I always target the plexus, jab upstairs around his right hand to pull the guard open a little and then blast a straight right downstairs.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #14
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Their left hand is perfectly in position to hit you in the plexus or liver. Any punch to his liver will be smothered in my experience, because it's too close and his elbow will be in front of it. That's why I always target the plexus, jab upstairs around his right hand to pull the guard open a little and then blast a straight right downstairs.
this fella was exactly how i liked them apart from the leftie bit.
we were both light-welter but he was about 3 inches shorter and he was square on to try and cut the ring down on me.he had his body covered but there was plenty of head to hit
i was using all the ring (it was a small ring in a small gym) and think i just lost my concentration and he got me with that hook.i should have stuck to jabbing
i felt like a right mug after
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #15
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Haha, Southpaw rules . I wish you recorded it ;p
Lazarus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing