Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: How to Not Die Against a Southpaw?

Im admittedly pretty much a beginner in boxing having done it for approx a year ( with injury time out mind). But iv not felt completely out of my depth sparring anyone except this southpaw. Hes very good anyway probably the best in the gym ( beginners nights not the pros or ams) He must be in his 40s but can i hit the fecker, can i hell lol.. thankfully im not the only one, he just toys with us i think. The only time iv had success was one time we were sparring and another lad told me to parry hit jab and cos i have a long reach go straight over the top with my left jab. It bloody worked too! lol
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Im admittedly pretty much a beginner in boxing having done it for approx a year ( with injury time out mind). But iv not felt completely out of my depth sparring anyone except this southpaw. Hes very good anyway probably the best in the gym ( beginners nights not the pros or ams) He must be in his 40s but can i hit the fecker, can i hell lol.. thankfully im not the only one, he just toys with us i think. The only time iv had success was one time we were sparring and another lad told me to parry hit jab and cos i have a long reach go straight over the top with my left jab. It bloody worked too! lol
step on his lead foot and just mill him wit right hands and left hooks .thats what my trainer told me the first time i was sparring 1
tony mush is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Their left hand is perfectly in position to hit you in the plexus or liver. Any punch to his liver will be smothered in my experience, because it's too close and his elbow will be in front of it. That's why I always target the plexus, jab upstairs around his right hand to pull the guard open a little and then blast a straight right downstairs.
THIS is why I hate them. My left to the body is normally my money punch, but as you said, it gets jammed up against a southpaw and it just turns into a little push.

And I know I have to let my right go against him, but every time I do I risk eating a left uppercut to the liver, which isn't really a great feeling. I think I'll have to start throwing my right to the body, since it'll position my body low so I can't take a rib shot quite so easily.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #19
KTFO

vCash:

What about switchers then?
Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #20
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Haha, Southpaw rules . I wish you recorded it ;p
Maybe I'll record it sometime haha. I don't really want to bring a camera into the gym because the guys I'm sparring with will think I'm trying to get footage of me kicking their asses to show all my buddies how awesome I am. Then they'll try really hard to kick MY ass, and I don't need that at all lol.

But yeah, it wasn't like I was getting beaten, it was just that I was getting hit really easily in ways that I'm not used to. I probably landed more punches, but he landed the better ones imo. Every time I landed a body shot he'd jump up and rip my head with a left hand haha.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFO View Post
What about switchers then?
I don't really mind guys who switch, as long as they prefer fighting righty. I usually attack them as soon as they switch to southpaw to make them think that I know something they don't, then they switch back and I can relax a bit
Old 02-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
I don't really mind guys who switch, as long as they prefer fighting righty. I usually attack them as soon as they switch to southpaw to make them think that I know something they don't, then they switch back and I can relax a bit

That doesn't seem to make much sense cause a switcher is double-handed, hence feels comfortable performing both styles.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oh, you mean a guy who's ambidextrous? I'm talking about right-handed boxers who occasionally switch to southpaw. In my experience, they're not as good at fighting southpaw, they just do it to give you another look and throw you off. So when you pressure them in that stance, they usually figure it isn't working and they switch back to orthodox where they belong.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #24
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

I just switch, fight a bit, switch back. Repeat. Then use w/e seems to be working best.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323

**** dying against southpaws, I die against anything with a ****ing pulse and arms. I am the ****ing Eric Crumble of my gym.
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #26
Gavin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

As previous posters have said try to keep your left foot on the outside of his right foot at all times, makes it awkward for him to land his staright while at same time creating a perfect angle for your right hand through his guard. Just look at fights like Tszyu-Judah and Foreman-Moorer, it was the straight right that did the damage, its how Hopkins knocked Calzaghe down as well.

Look at the feet here

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNjlEenosho[/ame]
Gavin is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #27
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Southpaws are only difficult because of the angles they use. I like the left hook straight right combo against them.. also the feet are important. The most important thing is controlling the lead.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #28
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Southpaws are only difficult because of the angles they use. I like the left hook straight right combo against them.. also the feet are important. The most important thing is controlling the lead.
So you're just going to discount the fact that they're controlled by the devil then? Unbelievable...
Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #29
colin7878
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 328

I am a southpaw i wish i had it easy in sparring my train puts me in with guys who outweigh me by 30+lbs i am just a superfeather it take all my guts not to get blasted out when people forget its just for learning and not a real fight.
colin7878 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #30
Roland Deschain

The lead foot on the outside of his foot is key but not so important that the fight could not be won any other way. In fact sometimes if you have a quick footed southpaw it is tremendously difficult to do this, and they've seen it a million times. If you can do this, do it. It will set you up for your right cross and allow you to pivot to your left after slipping jabs. It will also cause them to punch across themselves thus losing both power and balance.

The foot on the inside of their lead foot can be used as well, as long as one realizes the pros and cons. If my foot is on the inside of their lead foot I can more readily both draw out their straight left and slip their straight left. I'm in a better position to slip that punch with my foot on the inside.

I preferably like to have the outside hand position. This way I'm able to parry their jabs and it dissuades them from using their lead hook because they have a viable opening straight through. So I'm forcing them to throw the punch that I want them to throw, when I want them to throw it. This way I can set up counter shots.
Roland Deschain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing