Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #16
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins vs Chad Dawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion

However, I only see Hopkins signing to fight the Calzaghe-Kessler winner or the Jones-Tito winner.
I think so, too. Chances are, it will be Jones if he wins. I definitely don't want to see Calzaghe waste his time fighting Hopkins, when Dawson is lurking out there as a *real* elite opponent.
Lampley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #17
darkness
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Dawson is just way too big and Physical for Hopkins at this point. this would be bad for B hop.
darkness is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #18
Stezzie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Dawson beats Hopkins and makes him look out of his league...Hopkins workrate is on the decline and each time he fights he gets a little slower...
Stezzie is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stezzie
Dawson beats Hopkins and makes him look out of his league...Hopkins workrate is on the decline and each time he fights he gets a little slower...
His workrate has actually increased since he fought Taylor twice. I think it has to do with his new weight. It's more natural for him. He doesn't have to drain down. And he's been more on the aggressive against Tarver and Wright. He chased down Tarver a lot and in the Wright fight, he exchanged a lot more while on the inside.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #20
Stezzie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22
His workrate has actually increased since he fought Taylor twice. I think it has to do with his new weight. It's more natural for him. He doesn't have to drain down. And he's been more on the aggressive against Tarver and Wright. He chased down Tarver a lot and in the Wright fight, he exchanged a lot more while on the inside.
You have point but look at his punch output and energy vs Dawson...Tarver and Wright are both in the same boat...they are not busy fighters...They are all old...but look at how Dawson is constantly attacking and has the reflexes to dodges and use his footwork...I think Dawson just has too much movement for Hopkins at this stage in Hopkins career...
Stezzie is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You have point but look at his punch output and energy vs Dawson...Tarver and Wright are both in the same boat...they are not busy fighters...They are all old...but look at how Dawson is constantly attacking and has the reflexes to dodges and use his footwork...I think Dawson just has too much movement for Hopkins at this stage in Hopkins career...
Exactly....Tarver has always had a low workrate. And Wright usually has a good workrate, but not 10lbs over his weight class. Dawson is going to be a different animal entirely.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #22
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I know what you're saying. I'm just just disagreeing where you said that Hopkins' workrate has steadily decreased when in reality, it has not.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #23
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I know what you're saying. I'm just just disagreeing where you said that Hopkins' workrate has steadily decreased when in reality, it has not.
Well, it has decreased since 2001, for sure, but I agree in his last couple fights it's been better.

On the other hand, he was matched against other relatively low-output guys in those fights, which meant he didn't have to fight as defensively. It's very possible that he'd shut it down again if confronted by a strong, speedy, and active puncher.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #24
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley
Well, it has decreased since 2001, for sure, but I agree in his last couple fights it's been better.

On the other hand, he was matched against other relatively low-output guys in those fights, which meant he didn't have to fight as defensively. It's very possible that he'd shut it down again if confronted by a strong, speedy, and active puncher.
And i agree. That's why i think he wouldn't want to fight a guy like Pavlik for the reasons you mentioned.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #25
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Hopkins as usual is being counted out but i think that he could go in there, counter Dawson and rough him up on the inside, and win a UD
I was just about to post this actually, Chad is one of my favorite fightersm but Hopkins wont take this fight unless he had the game plan to win. And Chad has never really been roughed up in a fight be4, and B-Hop would do that all night to frustrate a young chad, and potentially win on points.
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #26
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
And i agree. That's why i think he wouldn't want to fight a guy like Pavlik for the reasons you mentioned.
I don't think Hopkins could beat Pavlik anymore....on the flip side, I think Dawson would beat Pavlik rather easily at this point, though Pavlik has shown he is improving.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #27
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
I don't think Hopkins could beat Pavlik anymore....on the flip side, I think Dawson would beat Pavlik rather easily at this point, though Pavlik has shown he is improving.
I'd give Hopkins a small chance at Pavlik, but he'd have to work very hard to win seven rounds. But he could land right hands at will and flush, there's no doubt in my mind. Yet again, though, he'd probably get outworked.

I also agree that Dawson would box circles around Pavlik, and he might even get the stoppage. He's far too dynamic and skilled. Taylor and Dawson have some athletic similiarities, but the skills and ring intelligence are many miles apart.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #28
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

All Im going to say is dont count Hopkins out, he is a smart bastard in that ring, and though some1 might be more skilled. He can find ways to win, and I respect him for that. Chad Dawson has the speed yes, not as fast as RJ but fast none the less. But what gave Hopkins trouble when he fought RJ was not just the speed but the unorthodox punches that RJ throws. I would pick Dawson b/c of his ability, but dont count B-Hop out man, he would rough the young boy up and take him out his game.
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #29
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab2333
All Im going to say is dont count Hopkins out, he is a smart bastard in that ring, and though some1 might be more skilled. He can find ways to win, and I respect him for that. Chad Dawson has the speed yes, not as fast as RJ but fast none the less. But what gave Hopkins trouble when he fought RJ was not just the speed but the unorthodox punches that RJ throws. I would pick Dawson b/c of his ability, but dont count B-Hop out man, he would rough the young boy up and take him out his game.
Well just remember, Dawson would be the biggest fighter Hopkins has faced. Dawson is 6'3 and has grown to a full LHW. He is more orthodox certainly than Jones, and I don't think he is as fast as Jones was (who was?) but he presents a puzzle that Hopkins may have the brains the solve, but no longer the physical ability to solve.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Dawson by UD
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum