Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 648
vCash: 1000
Default Top 10 Aussie P4P

I'm curious about who you guys think are the best in boxing at the moment, there aren't any yanks staring over your shoulder going "where's Wright?" Or "what the hell is Pac doing at number one?!" Or "Why is that bum Calslappy so high?"

So feel free to be as biased as you want, and use whatever criteria you want (e.g, head to head more important than resume, etc, whatever you want) with your lists.

Here's mine...

1. Mayweather
2. Pacquiao
3. Calzaghe
4. R Maquez
5. Vasquez
6. JM Marquez
7. Hatton
8. Cotto
9. Hopkins
10. Mijares
Dekkers is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

My World Pound4Pound List

1. Floyd Mayweather
2. Manny Pacquaio
3. Israel Vazquez
4. Bernard Hopkins
5. Rafael Marquez
6. Juan Manuel Marquez
7. Joe Calzaghe
8. Miguel Cotto
9. Ricky Hatton
10. Ivan Calderon
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,336
vCash: 1132
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Heres Mine

P4P
1. Pacquiao
2. Mayweather
3. Vazquez
4. Calzaghe
5. Hopkins
6. R.Marquez
7. Hatton
8. JM.Marquez
9. Cotto
10. Mijares

There could be cases made for
Taylor
Kessler
Mosley
and
Juan Diaz
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
jimmy1991
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: australia
Posts: 705
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

i would ave to go
1. mayweather
2. Pac man
3. hopkins
4. Vazquez
5. cotto
6. hatton
7. JM.Marquez
8. R.Marquez
9. juan daiz
10. pavlik
jimmy1991 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Juan Diaz must be close to borderline top 10 p4p based on his last few displays.
I reckon 1 more win against a Casamayor, David Diaz or Katsidis gets him there no doubt.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

I can't understand how people could even think about having Mijares in their ten, yet alone over guys like Diaz. Even before the Julio bout, he still had wins over better fighters then Mijares, who really only has the one victory of note, and a string of wins against bums in Mexico. He had beaten Cotto, Freitas, Dorcy, Sims and Irwin. Overall better and more proven competition then what Mijares has faced. Calderon gets under rated by most, and considering his longevity on top within the division deserves a spot IMO. Hop is rated to high by some here, as is Vasquez without doubt.
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

How do people have Hatton so low on the p4p scale anyway? He has beaten Tszyu, unified against Mausaa, claimed a title against Collazo at 147, and then went back down to beat Urango, another world champion. In his next bout he destoryed a legend in Castillo. Can someone please explain to me how Vazquez is at number 3, yet hatton at number 9 in some lists here?
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
How do people have Hatton so low on the p4p scale anyway? He has beaten Tszyu, unified against Mausaa, claimed a title against Collazo at 147, and then went back down to beat Urango, another world champion. In his next bout he destoryed a legend in Castillo. Can someone please explain to me how Vazquez is at number 3, yet hatton at number 9 in some lists here?
I know mate the mind boggles

Hatton top 5 easy at the moment

and Top 2 if he beats Mayweather Dec 8
kel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Van Diemen's Land
Posts: 5,260
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
How do people have Hatton so low on the p4p scale anyway? He has beaten Tszyu, unified against Mausaa, claimed a title against Collazo at 147, and then went back down to beat Urango, another world champion. In his next bout he destoryed a legend in Castillo. Can someone please explain to me how Vazquez is at number 3, yet hatton at number 9 in some lists here?
Vazquez' last 8 fights have all been world title fights, he only lost of those was to Marquez, he then came back to KO him in 6.

The last 8 fighters he has faced have had a combine record of 243w-20l

While i am very bias i think he rates just ahead of Hatton p4p.
Marcus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Vazquez' last 8 fights have all been world title fights, he only lost of those was to Marquez, he then came back to KO him in 6.

The last 8 fighters he has faced have had a combine record of 243w-20l

While i am very bias i think he rates just ahead of Hatton p4p.
Joe Calzaghe's last 20 fights have all been world title fight victories. I take it that means he should therefore be p4p no.1? Really, Vasquez has larios, Ghonzalez and Marquez. Also suffering a stoppage defeat in his last fight. Hatton's resume is superior, and he is undefeated. His best opponents he has defeated by stoppage in great fashion.
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Van Diemen's Land
Posts: 5,260
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Joe Calzaghe's last 20 fights have all been world title fight victories. I take it that means he should therefore be p4p no.1? Really, Vasquez has larios, Ghonzalez and Marquez. Also suffering a stoppage defeat in his last fight. Hatton's resume is superior, and he is undefeated. His best opponents he has defeated by stoppage in great fashion.
If he beat Collazzo well id agree, but most think he lost that fight and looked pretty hurt in the last round.

Vazquez has also beat his best opponents by stoppage.
Marcus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #12
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 110
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

If people dont stop overrating ****ing BHop im going to go on a murderous rampage. The trenchcoat and the UZi and ****ing everything.

Either that or Im going to get a 95 year old midget. Feed it loads of pies to get it up to about 230 lbs then challenge it for the ring heavyweight belt and claim that I'm the best heavyweight in the world.

The ridiculous cycle of past it American fighters fighting their past it American mates for loads of money and "legacy" for the ill informed has to stop.
Sai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
If he beat Collazzo well id agree, but most think he lost that fight and looked pretty hurt in the last round.

Vazquez has also beat his best opponents by stoppage.
Vasquez has also lost to both Marquez and Larios also. What were your score cards against Collazo? Define most? Hatton definitely won it, the biggest contraversy was that Collazo was an unknown, and the boxing media were expecting Hatton to destroy him. Turns out he was a much better fighter then they expected. Castillo and Tszyu are bigger names then anyone on Vasquez's resume, and Hatton's last fight was an impressive stoppage victory also.
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai
If people dont stop overrating ****ing BHop im going to go on a murderous rampage. The trenchcoat and the UZi and ****ing everything.

Either that or Im going to get a 95 year old midget. Feed it loads of pies to get it up to about 230 lbs then challenge it for the ring heavyweight belt and claim that I'm the best heavyweight in the world.

The ridiculous cycle of past it American fighters fighting their past it American mates for loads of money and "legacy" for the ill informed has to stop.
Some of the Rings ratings are just flat out ridiculous. Chad Dawson the number 5 Light Heavy... Juan Marquez the number 3 p4p? What for? Losing to John and narrowly beating and old Barerra? Winky Wright is the number 5 p4p, yet isn't even the best middleweight in the world (Pavlik according to their rankings), and coming off a loss to BHop, and a draw with Taylor. Some of it is so inconsistent.
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 110
Default Re: Top 10 Aussie P4P

Its ****ing bullshit isnt it.

What also really irks me is that people misunderstand what P4P means. It is saying "If everyone in the world weighed exactly the same, who would be the best boxer". Not "Who has the best resume" They are totally different things.

If you are the worlds best boxer and then take 5 fights in a month against Japanese schoolgirls, your recent competition might have been shit, but you are still the worlds best boxer. Having a good resume basically just makes it easier to justify your choices of P4P ability.

This is why it is ridiculous that people can place Calzaghe outside of the top 3 just because some of his competition has been a bit iffy. This is also why it is ridiculous for people to include people who have losses in their own weight class against guys who are still active and near to the level they were when they beat them.
Sai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013