Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Was Trevor Berbick underrated?

This wouldn't be the first time I've started a thread on Trevor Berbick. But I think the last time was several years ago. He took a prime Holmes 15 rounds during a time when most others weren't. Beat young versions of John Tate, Greg Page, Pinklon Thomas to along with a few lesser notables in David Bey, Mitch Green and Gordon Racette. He also beat a shot to hell Muhammad Ali, but probably not something we'll give him much credit for. I think he was pretty good.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Trevor Berbick underrated?

He was pretty good. Resilient, brave, somewhat crafty, confident. Couldn't take a shot all that well. No outstanding skill, but decent at a number of things.
Vince Voltage is online now  Top
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Good points about Berbick. Big strong tough guy. First Holmes title defense that went the distance. I even give him credit for the Tyson fight in that he went out there and tried his best to fight him and land some damaging blows. I have more respect for him trying to win rather than going out there and just running or grabbing incessantly for 12 rounds with the only goal to last and survive. He fought to win.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

I'd say he was a spoiler, not very polished skills, pretty ugly to watch, but he did get some impressive wins.
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack View Post
Good points about Berbick. Big strong tough guy. First Holmes title defense that went the distance. I even give him credit for the Tyson fight in that he went out there and tried his best to fight him and land some damaging blows. I have more respect for him trying to win rather than going out there and just running or grabbing incessantly for 12 rounds with the only goal to last and survive. He fought to win.
It was dumb as hell to think he could fight Tyson punch for punch. I personnaly don't give credit for stupidity. As limited as he was, surely they could have come up with a better plan for this sacrificial lamb.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

A little bit....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
joebeadg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He was pretty damn good. I don't even remember that he fought Holmes. He had talent. Not the fastest guy, but made good use of the talent he had, some good wins. a valiant effort against Tyson too!
joebeadg is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Ehhhh... no, in my opinion. If anything I think it might go the other way and get gets too much credit for going the distance with Holmes and catching Pinklon Thomas at the right time, when Thomas was in a drug fueled haze. Especially if it weren't for the latter and him then being a Tyson victim, he'd have been nothing but a fringe contender who'd be a trivia question for most fans. Oh, and that guy that Larry Holmes drop kicked that one time.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think he was a clear underdog against Tate, Page and Thomas, so he was underrated there.
But on the other hand he was beaten by Snipes and was abysmal against S.T.Gordon.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

pretty much rated fairly.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #11
Muchmoore

vCash:

Berbick was awesome.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #12
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
It was dumb as hell to think he could fight Tyson punch for punch. I personnaly don't give credit for stupidity. As limited as he was, surely they could have come up with a better plan for this sacrificial lamb.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Many were still not completely sold on Tyson. Remember a week before this bout the fight was a pick'em (late money made Iron Mike a warm favourite).

During the first round the commentary picked up on the blows being thrown and suggested someone could go down. Yes it was Berbick, but at the time there was a big element of doubt as to who it was going to be.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

the GOAT without a doubt, he did beat ali, and tyson is better than ali because he did beat berbick and ali could not
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hands View Post
the GOAT without a doubt, he did beat ali, and tyson is better than ali because he did beat berbick and ali could not

nice joke
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Many were still not completely sold on Tyson. Remember a week before this bout the fight was a pick'em (late money made Iron Mike a warm favourite).

During the first round the commentary picked up on the blows being thrown and suggested someone could go down. Yes it was Berbick, but at the time there was a big element of doubt as to who it was going to be.
You could say that, but at the same time, were there that many knowledgeable people (trainers, fighters, experts etc.) picking Berbick ? When the fight happened, I was only a baby, but I know for sure that I would not have picked Berbick to beat Tyson. It's one of those obvious mismatches in my eyes, like Mosley-Margarito, I knew Mosley would beat him down, and he was the underdog.People overlook the styles factor sometimes and pick the guy who has the momentum of a good win coming into the fight.

Wasn't it Ray Leonard who was doing part of the commentary ?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum