Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Overcoming a shoulder dislocation?

I have a young lad who trains with me and despite been very raw he's a strong kid and might do something as an amateur- however he appears to be prone to dislocation a number of times doing the pads or other activities he has jarred his shoulder. Could someone in the know advise me on how to minimise the risk of dislocation. I'm aware of glenoid cavity and rotator cuff muscles and also the muscle of the shoulder girdle so please speak as scientifically as required and i'll translate
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
grumpy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Overcoming a shoulder dislocation?

I've had my shoulder dislocated 6x from boxing and they are very hard to overcome. There are certain exercizes the kid can do like rotator cuff word with a stretch band. there are also exercizes that he should not do like heavy over head pressing. My suggestion would be to get him an appoitnment with an orthopedic doctor, or at the very least he should see a physical therapist. the dr. might suggest a surgery to thghten the ligaments, and the physical therapist could get him on a specific workout to strengthen the shoulder and to prevent future dislocations. You might want to try what I did my left kept coming out so I switched to southpaw it was and still is very difficult to get used to but id rather do this than get surgery. But the problen wont go away by itself and itll never be the same as it was before. Good luck to you and your fighter and I hope this helped.
grumpy is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

i just emailed my neuromuscular therapist and asked him what exercises would be good for avoiding this in the future, he is pretty good and usually has answers for near enough every injury

ill need more info though

is it just one joint that dislocates? if so which arm?
which punches has it dislocated with?
how easy does it go back into place?
what age is the lad, how long has he been training?

ill bump the thread
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
PraetorianRoma

vCash: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I've had my shoulder dislocated 6x from boxing and they are very hard to overcome. There are certain exercizes the kid can do like rotator cuff word with a stretch band. there are also exercizes that he should not do like heavy over head pressing. My suggestion would be to get him an appoitnment with an orthopedic doctor, or at the very least he should see a physical therapist. the dr. might suggest a surgery to thghten the ligaments, and the physical therapist could get him on a specific workout to strengthen the shoulder and to prevent future dislocations. You might want to try what I did my left kept coming out so I switched to southpaw it was and still is very difficult to get used to but id rather do this than get surgery. But the problen wont go away by itself and itll never be the same as it was before. Good luck to you and your fighter and I hope this helped.
I dislocated my right shoulder in sparring last wednesday. Its still pretty numb at the minute, but i had 2 x-rays before they pulled it back in and 1 more after that. They seemed optimistic that i could return to boxing in 4 weeks & that there was no further ligament damage.
How long was your recovery period? And did you have trouble throwing full speed/power with the said arm after the injury?
PraetorianRoma is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Yeah, the stretch band is legit.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

exercises and what not will be ok in the short term but i would think he will need surgery. Shoulders are cunts of things and once they dislocate they are never the same IMO. I have had two shoulder reconstructions and still get pain when exercising. I spend alot of time on the thermo bands and very light rotator cuff exercises
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Go on line.
Look for --- The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution."
There is no easy way.
Do the work.
rodney is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing