Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
CharlieGarbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Building Muscle without losing Speed

Apologies if this has been posted before. (Have checked a few pages)

So I'm about 5'9, 10 stone 4 and I want to get add more muscle to my frame without really losing speed. I hear a lot about 'explosive' technique when doing weights, does this mean e.g on a bench press, slowly down and push up as fast as you can? Big weights, low reps? Are their any specific workouts for this type of training? I'm mainly worried about doing weights and becoming bulky, which I dont want.

Thanks in advance,
CharlieGarbs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Building Muscle without losing Speed

Dont over eat and you wont put on weight, weights wont add weight, unless you step on the scales and are still holding a set of dumbells
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
mlg321

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
Dont over eat and you wont put on weight, weights wont add weight, unless you step on the scales and are still holding a set of dumbells
He wants to build muscle.....
mlg321 is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGarbs View Post

So I'm about 5'9, 10 stone 4 and I want to get add more muscle to my frame without really losing speed. I hear a lot about 'explosive' technique when doing weights, does this mean e.g on a bench press, slowly down and push up as fast as you can? Big weights, low reps? Are their any specific workouts for this type of training? I'm mainly worried about doing weights and becoming bulky, which I dont want.

Thanks in advance,
You'd be better using cables and pulleys and perfroming functional exercises. See Ross training.com... You'll only put on weight and 'bulk' if you train with that as a target. There's literally hundreds of methods of adding more muscle- though more then likely you will put on weight.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You might find this complcated but its not, been doing it for sometime with very good results. Dynamic Stretching with a format, of working on tension as the adductors working on a fixed load while stretching the abductors or vice versa. Theres loads of little ideas that can be implimented, easy its not.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
difO
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

try using resistance training (not free weights) which doesnt bulk you up much but increases strength and gives you that toned muscle
difO is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
CharlieGarbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

So should I just stick to push-ups, press-ups, pull-ups etc, and cut out the machines and free weights?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

I wouldn't really recommend weights then if you don't want to lose speed, also you're going to need to work your quick twitch fibers which I don't know how to do with the arms. I remember learning that method in track
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
I wouldn't really recommend weights then if you don't want to lose speed, also you're going to need to work your quick twitch fibers which I don't know how to do with the arms. I remember learning that method in track
Maybe he should move his arms quickly? Just a thought. Also why not recommend weights? Thats ill-educated and poor advice.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
POCKET SHOT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGarbs View Post

Thanks in advance,
ya wont build mass with while training for explosive power,

and about becoming bulky, just stay away from bodybuilding rountines,
POCKET SHOT is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Some people really need to stop responding when they don't have a clue what the **** they are talking about.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
boxingtactics07
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

If you follow a bodybuilding program with a calorie surplus - you will achieve sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (big bulky muscles with minimum strength). If you follow a dynamic or pure strength program - you will get stronger. If the dynamic or strength program is done with a calorie surplus, you will achieve myofibrillar hypertrophy (more strength, denser muscle). Any of the above programs coupled with a calorie deficit will result in weight or fat loss.
boxingtactics07 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
CharlieGarbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingtactics07 View Post
If you follow a bodybuilding program with a calorie surplus - you will achieve sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (big bulky muscles with minimum strength). If you follow a dynamic or pure strength program - you will get stronger. If the dynamic or strength program is done with a calorie surplus, you will achieve myofibrillar hypertrophy (more strength, denser muscle). Any of the above programs coupled with a calorie deficit will result in weight or fat loss.
What type of exercises are good for 'dynamic or pure strength'? What does calorie surplus mean? I really dont have a lot of knowledge with all this stuff! Do you have a recommened workout?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
boxingtactics07
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

brief description as i got to go:

calorie surplus means taking in more calories than you are putting out. If your body needs 2500 and you are taking in 3000 constantly; you will put on weight (either fat or muscle). calorie deficit means taking in less calories than you are putting out and you will lose fat or muscle.

dynamic is anything explosive; although unorthodox can build muscle and weight (if calorie surplus is in play). boxing, hill sprints, weight-lifting for high set / low rep / medium weight (ie 8x3 as fast as possible), medicine ball work, plyometric pushups, olympic liftting, etc.

pure strength is generally 80-100% of what you can handle at any given time. weightlifting would generally be 1-5 reps. strongman training and gymnastics/bodyweight training (ie going from regular pushups to elevated pushups to handstand pushups) would fall under this category as well.
boxingtactics07 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
CharlieGarbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingtactics07 View Post
brief description as i got to go:

calorie surplus means taking in more calories than you are putting out. If your body needs 2500 and you are taking in 3000 constantly; you will put on weight (either fat or muscle). calorie deficit means taking in less calories than you are putting out and you will lose fat or muscle.

dynamic is anything explosive; although unorthodox can build muscle and weight (if calorie surplus is in play). boxing, hill sprints, weight-lifting for high set / low rep / medium weight (ie 8x3 as fast as possible), medicine ball work, plyometric pushups, olympic liftting, etc.

pure strength is generally 80-100% of what you can handle at any given time. weightlifting would generally be 1-5 reps. strongman training and gymnastics/bodyweight training (ie going from regular pushups to elevated pushups to handstand pushups) would fall under this category as well.
Right, I understand. Thanks for your help!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing