Old 02-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #16
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Les Darcy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Above View Post
I havent read the book but have read about the Molineaux Cribb fights.
Brilliant brace of fights by all reports , that really was the first golden era of the sport we know and love today . Molineaux was robbed in the first fight apparently but did lose the second fairly . sad end for Molineaux though .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #17
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Like i said i gotta run now lads , i will try and get the Darcy article up here on Sat afternoon so you have a decent Sunday Morning read .
Old 02-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #18
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

The scene could have come straight out of a Cecil B. De-Mille epic. As far as the eye could see the plains of Australia, parched and wavering in the sun, stretched like an explosive yellow rug. Wallabys and kangaroos hopped, curious, around the lip of the deep granite quarry, and a ring of naked bush-men peering into the white cauldron that served as a natural amphitheatre.
Around the bottom and sides of the quarry sat several hundred people. Miners, hunters, ranchers. They were a tough crowd. Some of them had come for miles to see the fights, held weekly in the quarry near Maitland, New South Wales. They insisted on getting their money's worth.
They got it that day in 1912. For one of the bouts was between a rugged middleweight from the Maitland mining district and a handsome 150 pound youth named James Leslie Darcy. It was Darcy's first professional fight, after he had made a shambles of the Australian amateur ranks. He was spotting his burly opponent fifteen pounds. His rep*utation was good; however, the rough crowd knew he was only an amateur—they expected to see a legal slaughter.
And that's exactly what they saw. But not quite as they had anticipated.
In the first round, young Darcy put on as pretty a boxing exhibition as ever seen in Australia, which is quite a mouthful when you consider that Australia produced Bob Fitzsimmons, Frank Slavin, Young Griffo and Peter Jackson. "He's a good upstanding young ?un," the crowd agreed, "but wait till the'other'n gets his measure—he'll be crocodile bait!"
Round two came up. The ring-wise miner sprang forward and around his intended victim so that the sun was in Dairy's eyes. Obviously he planned to knock the kid out at once. It was the kind of fight that went best with this blood-thirsty crowd. Suddenly, something seemed to explode in the ring. With a great roar the throng came to its feet as if one unit. For Les Darcy had catapulted forward as though stung by a tarantula, arms flailing and legs pumping like pistons, driving his man back against the ropes. A dozen punches landed on the surprised fighter's face and head. He was unconscious at the third or fourth, but each succeeding punch pinned him onto the ropes so that he could not fall. Finally the referee saved him—probably saved his life—and pushed the maddened Darcy to his own corner. He didn't even bother counting over the fallen man; he just called for his seconds to come forward and carry him away.
Thus began the ring career of Les Darcy, who was just sixteen years old at the time.
Six years later—a short span in any man's life, short even in the career of a fighter—Darcy had won 92 of 96 bouts (53 by knockout); fought and beaten Australia's best middleweights, light heavyweights and heavyweights; beaten the top-flight Americans who dared go to Australia to fight him; built a world-wide reputation without leaving his native soil; responded finally to countless offers by sailing for America; ruined a leading American heavyweight in an exhibition. And at the end of those six packed years Les Darcy was dead.
But he did not die of a broken heart! Not Les Darcy. And it's time the lie was given the dozen of writers who have capitalized on a sympathetic character and done him a rash injustice. "When he left his own country," the stories say,

More to follow soon lads .
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.

Love it Josey... I was amazed Darcy had such an extensive career... JohnJourno must have covered the story.. lol.. Very incorrect record being suggested, fkn nicely written stuff none the less.

Reading about the tales/interpretation of his self exile to the USA and 'slacker' labelling will give an interesting bit of colour.. Hearing any tale about Darcy is worth the while.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #20
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Love it Josey... I was amazed Darcy had such an extensive career... JohnJourno must have covered the story.. lol.. Very incorrect record being suggested, fkn nicely written stuff none the less.

Reading about the tales/interpretation of his self exile to the USA and 'slacker' labelling will give an interesting bit of colour.. Hearing any tale about Darcy is worth the while.
Having more trouble posting the next installment , The way Homer here is going about things this may turn into a weekly serial sorry lads
Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #21
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

Just scan it using a PC scanner and run OCR over it. Should save a lot of time and work. Then just copy and paste it here. Microsoft Word has OCR. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] how to do it...
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #22
DaSweetScience
Its Spinal
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Mate probably one of the greatest ever old time fighters had he lived , same as Villa both died a similar tragic death through the same cause .

Ps Have you ever read a book entitled "Black Ajax" by George MacDonald Fraser ? based roughly Pre Tom Cribb v Tom Molineaux 1&2 ,lol or am i a bit weird like Ash suggests ?
Not weird at all Josey. It is a magnificent book, some of the finest and funniest fight writing ever from the view of many different people at the fight.

McDonald Fraser has to be one of the best historical novelists ever.
DaSweetScience is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #23
sallywinder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No Probs mate i just wish i had copies of it to pass around to you blokes , Darcy looked a fantastic young fighter , apparentley in this article he absoulutley ruined the next HEAVYWEIGHT champ of the world in sparring ...
fred fulton.

fred carried on like les was lucky to be in the same presence as fulton.....treated darcy with contempt. les mighta got a little angry?
sallywinder is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #24
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm View Post
Just scan it using a PC scanner and run OCR over it. Should save a lot of time and work. Then just copy and paste it here. Microsoft Word has OCR. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] how to do it...
Thanks mate i will wait until my daughter comes over today and she can educate me futher lol
Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #25
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSweetScience View Post
Not weird at all Josey. It is a magnificent book, some of the finest and funniest fight writing ever from the view of many different people at the fight.

McDonald Fraser has to be one of the best historical novelists ever.
Yes magnificent would indeed be a word to describe it mate , and yes Fraser does gather a fantastic amount of eye witnesess accounts together .

Sall , You're a cunt but ..Thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #26
sallywinder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yes magnificent would indeed be a word to describe it mate , and yes Fraser does gather a fantastic amount of eye witnesess accounts together .

Sall , You're a cunt but ..Thanks

youre no outlaw....and i seen josey wales....so careful who you call a cunt you limp white dribble, or you may get a 'sallywinder boat ride..!"

and ive forgetten more about darcy than you will ever know, so have some brittish respect for your colonial better.....
sallywinder is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #27
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywinder View Post
youre no outlaw....and i seen josey wales....so careful who you call a cunt you limp white dribble, or you may get a 'sallywinder boat ride..!"

and ive forgetten more about darcy than you will ever know, so have some brittish respect for your colonial better.....
Its comment's like this that has determine my opinion of you , All aboard.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Old 02-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #29
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Its a bit jumbled but its the best i can do what with my serious lack of computer skill's , Mental note :( Visit Neon Leon when in PERF ) lol
Old 02-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #30
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There's a little tip about duplicating these articles.
There are programs that converts articles into word by speech.

"Dragon speak" is one of them.
You install the software, then it gives you a "familiarization" essay to read into you microphone.
Once done, you can then read the article out loud & the computer prints as you read.
All you have to do then is skim through it & edit.
It's pretty much 90% accurate but it may misinterpret some words, hence the reason for editing.
Rodin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum