Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
cris_000

vCash: 500
Default need advice

you see, i've been wanting to start boxing for a good year, but i don't have a job,and money has been tight, so i haven't been able to go to a boxing gym and start off. but recently i came up on some cash and wanna start up, but thats when the real problem hit. theres two boxing gyms in my city, but they charge 150, and 200 dollars for monthly for membership. if i go there, i'll only probably be able to be there for a couple months, and thats it, but its real close by, would take me at the most 30 min by bus to get there. on the other hand, if i take public transportation, it would take me 2 hours to go to LA, where gym memberships are much cheaper, at the most 75 bucks, but sacrifice a 4 hour round trip. im a college student, got classes mon-thu morning; the thing is, im torn between spending some more money to save more time, or sacrificing more time to save the little money i have.

i really need some help with this. i appreciate any input you guys got to give and thank you in advance for helping me out.
cris_000 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: need advice

4 hrs is ridic and i think you would tire of it soon and it'll be easy to find an excuse not to go...wtf 4 hrs? also 150-200 is kinda ridic too. if that really is your only option tho, i'd pony up the $$ because boxing training is hard enough without 2 hrs traveling there and 2 hrs back.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
cris_000

yeah, that much unfortunately. i see your point as well, after a while, even the smallest excuse could make you waver. but im determined to do this so, i guess what i'll do is go to each gym, check it out, see where i might feel the most comfortable in, and try it at that one.

thanks for the input youngblood.
cris_000 is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

you sound determined, and good luck!

you're right about people finding any excuse to not go, as anyone who's boxed for a bit has heard them all. I just think a 4 hr trip might actually be one of the few legit excuses, considering having to do it multiple times weekly. I wouldn't lock yourself into anything like a contract if possible and see how it goes cris.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
KTFO

vCash:

Buy this...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

and this...

and save the rest for later.

Good luck
Old 02-15-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFO View Post
Buy this...

and this...

and save the rest for later.

Good luck
Worst possible advice, don't do that you'll end up boxing like a retard. Choose the most succesful gym out of all three. Go to the gym and if it happens to be one of the gyms in LA pay the trainer an extra few quid to plan you out a simple training program to do through the week while you take your time learning the fundamental properly.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
Dan
BiG DaN
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris_000 View Post
you see, i've been wanting to start boxing for a good year, but i don't have a job,and money has been tight, so i haven't been able to go to a boxing gym and start off. but recently i came up on some cash and wanna start up, but thats when the real problem hit. theres two boxing gyms in my city, but they charge 150, and 200 dollars for monthly for membership. if i go there, i'll only probably be able to be there for a couple months, and thats it, but its real close by, would take me at the most 30 min by bus to get there. on the other hand, if i take public transportation, it would take me 2 hours to go to LA, where gym memberships are much cheaper, at the most 75 bucks, but sacrifice a 4 hour round trip. im a college student, got classes mon-thu morning; the thing is, im torn between spending some more money to save more time, or sacrificing more time to save the little money i have.

i really need some help with this. i appreciate any input you guys got to give and thank you in advance for helping me out.
go local and spend those 4 hours u would have been travelling working and ull easy make up the difference in a month
Dan is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
cris_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Worst possible advice, don't do that you'll end up boxing like a retard. Choose the most succesful gym out of all three. Go to the gym and if it happens to be one of the gyms in LA pay the trainer an extra few quid to plan you out a simple training program to do through the week while you take your time learning the fundamental properly.

yeah, i agree. that looks expensive, and i dont think i'd actually be learning boxing that way. just throw punches and think its boxing. my best bet is to learn from an actual trainer. don't mean anything bad, just that going at it this way won't do me any good.
cris_000 is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
cris_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
go local and spend those 4 hours u would have been travelling working and ull easy make up the difference in a month

believe me, if i had even a part-time job, i would do this, but i don't have a job, and money is real scarce for me. thats why this is a big dilemma for me, because i want to start, and box for as long as i can with the money i got.
cris_000 is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

Spend the extra cash. 4 hours is a ridiculous waste of time. The money you spend at the closer gym would be eaten up by your wasted work time at the other, cheaper gym. In other words, it's more cost effective to just slam down the extra cash. That's an extremely steep price though, if i do say so myself. They better be damn good gyms.
KillSomething is online now  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
G U E R R I E R
Thomas ''Hitman'' Hearns
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 390

Man, y'all gyms are so expensive.

I pay 150$ for THREE MONTHS. And I can come in any time any day between 9am-1pm and 6pm-9pm.
G U E R R I E R is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:

The key with this whole situation is whether or not the whole distance will keep you from progressing LONG TERM. If you genuinely don't mind commuting a couple of hours everyday then go for it. If you believe that this distance will keep you from consistenly training, then go with the closer gym and get a PT job or something.

I'm kind of biased here as a I am a BIG fan of proximity. The closer the training, the more likely one is to train...logical aye. JUST GO FOR IT!
Just remember to stick with it and listen to your trainer.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314

Watch plenty of boxing...imitate what they do.
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
ripper13
Contender
ESB Senior Member

wow...gym membership is expensive where you live...
ripper13 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #15
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper13 View Post
wow...gym membership is expensive where you live...
lol
Son of Gaul is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing