Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #17
thunder06
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marciano vs. Tunney

Quote:
For the fight I think Marciano is nothing else but a version of Dempsey.
Both used their power to impose themselves in the fight, both had terrific right hand and an inimaginable stamina. They are similar in many points and I can see the fight going the same way went Tunney/Dempsey.
Marciano and Dempsey are not the same fighter. Both had great power, but Dempsey's money punch was his left hook, not his right, and Marciano was much slower on his feet than Demspey.
thunder06 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
thunder06
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano KO13. I think it would turn out this way because it's the same round he KO'd Walcott and Ali and they were basically the same fighter as Tunney except they were black.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #19
SouthPaw_Swamer
Journeyman

Marciano because he is cool!
SouthPaw_Swamer is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #20
thunder06
Contender
ESB Senior Member

good post
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #21
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

A fight with Marciano was a gruiling affair and Tunney was a great fighter with hands and feet as fast as Ali and Tunney had good power with the right hand, thing is Marciano made you pay in every round with punches to the arms,shoulders,chest and body, the fight would be close over the first 8-9 rounds but Marciano's punches taking there toll on Gene, Tunney starts to tire and stand still a bit more and Rocky picks up the pace and takes it into 2nd gear...Tunney gets stunned and hurt and dropped in the 11th and his corner keeps him at the start of the 12th
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #22
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
Lastarza is famous for losing a disputed decison to Marciono. Saying his style was well suited for Marciono is not a good argument.

Walcott was winning his first fight against Marciano, and Marciono had to ko him to win.

Moore was in his 40s, and was a counter puncher. Moore did not have Tunney's legs. He too was giving Marciano a fight. Charles was no spring chicken either.

You can argue that Tunney's style wouldn't matter, and that Marciano would still find a way to ko him anyway. Saying that a speedy fighter with good legs and boxing ability has a style well suited for Marciano is just crazy talk.
LaStarza is also famous for getting knocked clear through the ropes against Marciano in the rematch. Marciano was not himself in their first fight. He was still getting over the Vingo disaster...
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #23
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
A fight with Marciano was a gruiling affair and Tunney was a great fighter with hands and feet as fast as Ali and Tunney had good power with the right hand, thing is Marciano made you pay in every round with punches to the arms,shoulders,chest and body, the fight would be close over the first 8-9 rounds but Marciano's punches taking there toll on Gene, Tunney starts to tire and stand still a bit more and Rocky picks up the pace and takes it into 2nd gear...Tunney gets stunned and hurt and dropped in the 11th and his corner keeps him at the start of the 12th
Thats pretty much how I would see it coming. Youve really been beating me to it these past few days.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #24
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

And Lastarza was not as quick on his feet as Tunney. Lastarza was not the same style of fighter as Tunney. I was responding to someone's post that mentioned Lastarza. If Lastarza could trouble Marciano with his slower than Tunney movement, just think of what Tunney may be capable of. That is all that was supposed to mean. I wouldn't use the Lastarza fight as an example on my own.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #25
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tunney was a speedy, strong legged boxer who might have matched well with Marciano, but he could be hit. To beat Marciano it would take a speedy,strong legged, slick, defensive boxer. Someone like say Billy Conn. If he could befuddle Louis for thirteen rounds. He could have shocked the world & outboxed Marciano for a fifteen round decision.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 03:10 AM   #26
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homicidal Hank
It wasn't difficult to befuddle Joe Louis, but I'm not sure Tunney's the one to do that.
If Tunney can't do it, who can ?
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #27
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Tunney takes it, something from 9-6 to 12-3.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #28
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
No one said these weren't good wins. He asked why Tunney would be a nightmare for Marciano. Then he used Lastarza, Charles, and Walcott as examples. These guys didn't fight like Tunney, but I entertained his post anyway. These guys were still able to trouble Marciano. They were all stronger than Tunney, but none of them were as mobile.

If you are saying that Tunney's style would not be bad for Marciano, then are you are saying that saying that a speedy boxer with good legs would be a good style for him? Like I said, you can argue that Marciano could overcome this style. You just can't say,"Wow, this Tunney guy would be tailor made for Rocky," and sound like you are making any sense. Now I'm not quoting either of you guys with that remark, I'm simply saying that Tunney's style isn't a good thing for Rocky.
Indeed i think a speedy boxer with good legs is not a good style to beat Marciano. Like i pointed out before, only when there's a significant size advantage like Ali and Holmes then i'd pick them, and even there i'm not sure.

There's a lot to Marciano that easily escapes the eye. His weird angles, feints, constant punching. It's not a coincidence that ALL of his opponents tired. Fighting Marciano is like playing tennis against a concrete wall: he always keeps pressure on you and hits you back harder.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #29
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Tunney would outbox Marciano for most of the fight and make him look crude & silly. Until a thunderous Suzie Q from knowhere ends the fight by knockout. Marciano KO Round 13. Thats my take on it anyway.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #30
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Tunney could outbox Marciano on his way to a UD, if he so wishes. Marciano would pressurise him sure but Tunney was one helluva slick boxer and very hard to catch clean with shots. Should sloppyness creep into Tunneys demenour, I could envisage a late Marciano stoppage victory.

Tough one to call, but I'll go with Tunney.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum