Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Ippo

vCash: 500
Default I am new at this.......

Hey my name is Evander (no not holyfield that is my real name) and i am planing on start boxing next week i am from Bronx,NY so i really don't have money so i would just want 2 know what can i do to get started and what do i need 2 buy 2 get started (reason why im starting next week is because i'll get the membership money by that time) any help will be appreciated thank you
Ippo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: I am new at this.......

Just go along, like 99% of other people, and join in.

Not much help we can give you anyway.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Ippo

OKAYY i just wanted 2 go i don't know atleast a lil bit in shape or with the right mind set thanks anyway
Ippo is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippo View Post
OKAYY i just wanted 2 go i don't know atleast a lil bit in shape or with the right mind set thanks anyway
Just remember...ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. If you go in with a positive attitude, learn and open yourself up to constructive criticism, nothing but good things will come from it. GO FOR IT MAN! JUST STICK WITH IT EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH YOU WON'T REGRET IT.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Ippo

hey thanks man i appreciate the help
Ippo is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
hey thanks man i appreciate the help
No problem. Boxing is a tremendous character builder IF YOU STICK WITH IT. You'll learn a lot about yourself in the process too. Remember, be disciplined, listen to you trainer and be positive.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Ippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
No problem. Boxing is a tremendous character builder IF YOU STICK WITH IT. You'll learn a lot about yourself in the process too. Remember, be disciplined, listen to you trainer and be positive.
thanks man i have a question tho what do i need 2 buy before i enter a boxing gym and please e-mail me because i have alot of questions ... lol

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] thanks alot again can u please e-mail me because i have a tons a question and i think it would be easier if u can e-mail me thanks.
Ippo is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
thanks man i have a question tho what do i need 2 buy before i enter a boxing gym and please e-mail me because i have alot of questions ... lol

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] thanks alot again can u please e-mail me because i have a tons a question and i think it would be easier if u can e-mail me thanks.
You can ask all your questions here, that's what the board is for.

I would not buy anything yet, just go there and see if you like it or not.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You won't get in shape in a week, but you can go for a jog a day or two before heading to the gym if you want to feel like you did something.

Start looking for a pair of 180+inch Mexican handwraps and ask your trainer when you meet him what type of gloves he recommends. They'll have extras there for you to use until you get them. Then you'll need a mouthguard and that's probably it for starters. Mouthguard, gloves, a few pairs of handwraps.

You won't need anything the first day. The trainer will let you know what to buy and you can borrow their equipment in the meantime.

But as for getting in shape, the boxing itself will get you in shape if you stick with it. If you're going in there 3 times or more per week, you won't have enough energy for supplemental work, at least not for the first month or two. Maybe some light running in the morning, but I wouldn't worry about doing anything else until your muscles get used to boxing.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Two things.

Number one: If you get ignored at the start, even if you get ignored by the trainers the whole time you are there, don't worry about it. Happens to a lot of people, they will merely be concentrating on other fighters. Don't get discouraged if this happens, just turn up session after session until they see you are serious, then they will get involved.

Number two: Don't act like you know it all. Attitude is everything. If you show a keen ability to learn and take constructive criticism & advice on board, things will run a lot smoother.

Good luck and just enjoy yourself.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Ippo

i wanna say thanks to everybody who helped me and my other question is what type of shoes should i get??
Ippo is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
i wanna say thanks to everybody who helped me and my other question is what type of shoes should i get??
Don't you have a pair of regular gym shoes? IMO you should not get anything yet before you've tried it. Seriously we see people come and go every week, some wear expensive gloves and shiny new boxing boots, and they turn up twice never to be seen again. Just try it first, you may not even like it.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

^Seriously. I've been boxing for a year and I just recently bought my first pair of boxing shoes lol. Basketball or running shoes work fine, imo.

You'll really only need to buy handwraps, and a mouthguard if you end up sparring. Gloves if you don't want to use the old ones at the gym. But give it a few tries before you go breaking the bank...some people find they don't have the time or energy to stick with it, and then you're stuck with a bunch of useless gear.

All you'll need for your first few sessions is yourself, an open mind, and a solid work ethic.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
Clifton

Go ahead. Don't worry. Boxing is something that has to learnt by you, because you have a passion for boxing. Money won't be a constraint if you want to learn something new. Have confidence & will power. You can achieve anything in your life. Good luck in your endeavor.
Clifton is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #15
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Hey no problem man. I really enjoy helping when I'm able to.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing