Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
mryeags
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Bernard Dunne to retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
In ways reminds me of mcguigan once he won the world title he was never as hungry again

I'm glad hes called it quits.

I'll never forget the after party where poor rendall munroe was walking around like a lost puppy!
Paddy paddy paddy !!! ...weve had this discussion so many times before ..... anyhow good luck in retirement to Dunne a great servant to the game and Ireland too ....
mryeags is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Shame Dunne was great for boxing in Ireland, remember the night of his fight with Poon probably a record for the amount of people i knew watching a fight.

Can't see anyone getting that sort of atmosphere for a while anyway.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #18
Kelly green
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Bernard did overacheive for his physical talents but at the same time has to be thanked for his contribution to irish pro-boxing.
Kelly green is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Paddy
ESB Founders Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryeags View Post
Paddy paddy paddy !!! ...weve had this discussion so many times before ..... anyhow good luck in retirement to Dunne a great servant to the game and Ireland too ....
Was never Dunne's biggest fan myself but the boy brought boxing back to the masses over here for that I will always owe him a debt of gratitude!
Paddy is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
Healy
Former Wee Poof
ESB Addict

This is not suprising for me, i viewed his interview on the Irish chat show The Late Late Show soon after his last lose to Poonswat. It was clear that he was mentally all over the place and it had hurt him big time, he felt like he let down his fans, friends and family. He was very nostalgic in that interview, i genuinely felt gutted for him and that he shouldn't have been on national tv, it looked ike he could breakdown at any minute. To be fair to Ryan Tubrity the interviewer, he did not push Bernard to that point and tried to reassure him of his achievements and that his fans were still behind him

I turned to my mate and said, i dont think he will be back and it will take a long time for him to sort himself out.

What a great guy though who was never truely appreciated by the country as a whole. I will never forget the night he best Cordoba, it was one of the best sporting events im likely to ever see and i can't describe how happy i am to have actually been there and witnessed the atmosphere for myself.
The fight was just amazing, it was some effort by both fighters, the atmosphere was absolutly amazing. Myself, Doug.ie and his lad Ryan went up. We met Brian Peters who asked us back to the after party while we were at ringside for Andrew Murray and Jim Rocks fight, Peters is a gentleman. The party was great itself, some good stories from it
Met Paddy there and then i remember Dunne coming to the party even though he could barely walk. He went from the party to the Beaumount Hospital to be with Cordoba at 3am that night.

Sad to see him retire

Doug, myself and Bernard that night
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Healy is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
This is not suprising for me, i viewed his interview on the Irish chat show The Late Late Show soon after his last lose to Poonswat. It was clear that he was mentally all over the place and it had hurt him big time, he felt like he let down his fans, friends and family. He was very nostalgic in that interview, i genuinely felt gutted for him and that he shouldn't have been on national tv, it looked ike he could breakdown at any minute. To be fair to Ryan Tubrity the interviewer, he did not push Bernard to that point and tried to reassure him of his achievements and that his fans were still behind him

I turned to my mate and said, i dont think he will be back and it will take a long time for him to sort himself out.

What a great guy though who was never truely appreciated by the country as a whole. I will never forget the night he best Cordoba, it was one of the best sporting events im likely to ever see and i can't describe how happy i am to have actually been there and witnessed the atmosphere for myself.
The fight was just amazing, it was some effort by both fighters, the atmosphere was absolutly amazing. Myself, Doug.ie and his lad Ryan went up. We met Brian Peters who asked us back to the after party while we were at ringside for Andrew Murray and Jim Rocks fight, Peters is a gentleman. The party was great itself, some good stories from it
Met Paddy there and then i remember Dunne coming to the party even though he could barely walk. He went from the party to the Beaumount Hospital to be with Cordoba at 3am that night.

Sad to see him retire

Doug, myself and Bernard that night
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Healy, I agree with you - Dunne looked like a broken man in that Late Late Show interview. As Paddy said he has been a brilliant driving force for reinvigorating boxing in Ireland and he has done the Irish proud with his performances in the ring.

I have mixed feelings about his retirement, as he will be missed, but his health is much more important than anything else.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #22
Chud
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1526

thought he could have cashed out with a title fight at featherweight against someone like Cristobal Cruz but fair play to him for packing it in when his desire was gone.
Chud is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
BamBam
The Brick Fist Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Just had it confirmed he can't make SBW anymore. Too much of a stretch for him. That is what, I am told reliably, made the decision for him.

A great embassador for the sport here in Ireland. Along with Brian Peters he ressurected the notion of pro-boxing to the masses. He is a household name here which has not been achieved for a boxer since Barry McGuigan. From kids all the way up to grannys know who he is.

A gentleman and a very humble lad. Despite what people think he isn't or wasn't ever arrogant. They shapes he threw coming into the ring were learned in his SRL days when he was thought how to sell himself for US tv cameras.

As was said, a very nice boxer. Techincally he is a lovely boxer but he just doesn't have the whiskers to take it to the very elite level. Also, as brave a boxer as I have seen. He might not have been incredibly difficult to put down but he was a hard man to keep down. Most SBW's would have capitulated after the 1st knockdown against Poonsawat. Dunne was still getting up after the 3rd. He really did have a fighters heart.

I'm relieved he knew when to get out. The 4lbs to featherweight wasn't going to make a huge difference to his punch resistance. It must be hard to let it go at age 30. Honestly I would have loved to see him in once more against any old cunt. Not for the sake of the W but for one last chance to pay our regards to the man.

Nice to see the respect he's getting here on this forum. I don't think, in these days of PPV and Sky Sports boxing etc on top of a domestic scene thats always been very healthy in comparison..., a lot of the brit forum can realise how much of an impact he had on Irish boxing
BamBam is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #24
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

He has not got the 'Irish' disease has he?
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #25
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
In ways reminds me of mcguigan once he won the world title he was never as hungry again

I'm glad hes called it quits.

I'll never forget the after party where poor rendall munroe was walking around like a lost puppy!
I remember watchin Rendall during the Cordoba fight. Everyone now and again I would take a gaulk over me shoulder to look at the Bin Man and you could almost see the money slipping through his fingers!

Thanks for the good times Bernard. I doubt if there is anyone that actually attended the Dunne-Cordoba bill that would put the fight or the night above anything else they had ever witnessed.
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #26
loughlan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Bernard Dunne has acheived more as an amateur and a pro than the majority of fighters discussed on this forum can ever dream of,I knew he'd make the right decison and not allow himself to become a stepping stone.It's a pity Munroe will now have to stop riding his coattails for publicity.When all is said and done it will be clear to all who the better fighter is of the two
Good luck to the man in whatever he chooses to do next,he is a true credit to the sport.
loughlan is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #27
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He'll be sorely missed, I really liked to watch him, wish him a happy retirement.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #28
nervousxtian
Trolljegeren
East Side Guru

I like the guy, too bad he couldn't take a decent punch. Fun fighter to watch though.
nervousxtian is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 AM   #29
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Incredibly honest of him to do this considering he is only 30. He'll always have the Cordoba fight and that's what I'll remember him for; a phoney title didn't deserve to be attached to that fight anyway as the fight alone embodies what fans will always remember: great moments in the ring.

Enjoy retirement and the money you've made, Bernard. You deserve it.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #30
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
He has not got the 'Irish' disease has he?

What's that then...
NO MAS is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum