Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #31
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing news losing the plot

Since Claude Abrahms retired i've noted a subtle editorial bias in regards to the readers letters page in so much that they've only published anti-pac readers letters & none who feel that mayweather is to blame for the fights collapse & a none too suble hints by the new editor about pac & peds, disgracefull IMO, not impressed,

As i believe that the majority of fight fans held the Mayweather clan to blame as was voted on in an boxingnews online pole, but not one piece of readers corrospondence was published with the view that it was the Mayweathers, just one letter a week blaming Manny + we know have mr unbiased himself Mr Teddy Atlas getting plenty of ink.

Not impressed, i get BN every week but if it don't up it's game then i'am off, more the pity & too think i used to slag claude off
duranimal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #32
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotcruncher View Post
Fair point, if it had arrived in time. A friend of mine won over a grand backing against Lawton on my tip. Believe it if you want. But 4/6 was an absoulute steal. I also won a few quid myself.
Your losing the plot, why didn't you tell your mate to back Leva by stoppage.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #33
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I think Boxing Monthly is a quality publication. Bunce and Farhood and Houston - always worth a read.

That said, I don't subscribe - just pick it up on a whim sometimes.
I'll gibe BM another try, I can find the results and fight reports on the 'net so its mainly the articles that I'm interested in.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #34
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I've never actually bought or read an issue of Boxing News.

I used to have a subscription of Boxing Monthly but it expired and I never bothered to renew it.... even though I felt it was a decent mag.

The articles within BN can't be any worse than boxingnews24.com though..... utter shite that website!
Agreed. if it were on paper I wouldn't wipe my arse on it.
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #35
avidlemon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
You noob, why make the thread after the fights have happened, stupid post, my money is you probably had Oakey too.
Just because the guy is a noob, doesn't mean he isn't as knowledgable as someone with 7k plus posts. It annoys me when regular posters here run down a noob, just for that reason
avidlemon is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #36
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbflex View Post
...Thirdly, making a whole thread out of this is pretty unfair on an enthusiastic, young writer doing his first BN preview. I've made bad picks and never had a thread about them. Finally, the mod who banned Rob Palmer for posting a BN link should explain their actions on this their thread. Rob doesn't work for us so what's the problem?
Well said. A couple of people (including well respected posters on here) predicted Lawton to win and the majority of people predicted Oakey to win.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #37
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidlemon View Post
Just because the guy is a noob, doesn't mean he isn't as knowledgable as someone with 7k plus posts. It annoys me when regular posters here run down a noob, just for that reason
I got shit for that over on GF when I first joined and made that same point. I now have knocking on 20,000 posts and it doesn't mean I know any more or less about boxing than I did when I had 10 posts.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #38
One Round
Hertfordshire's Finest
ESB Senior Member

del.
One Round is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #39
Jetset78
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3653

Boxing news is still a great read. Try to bear in mind that since the new editor arrived there really hasnt been too much boxing this year to write about.

Wait until the big fights happen and I'm sure your interest in the mag will be reinvigorated
Jetset78 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #40
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

I'm just glad that there is another Boxing magazine available to buy, theres hardly any compared to similarly popular sports.

All publications have their faults, but I'm sure we'd be moaning a lot more if there weren't any Boxing related mags on the shelves
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #41
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Shut up Gaz.

I am far more knowledgable now than I was when I had 10 posts. My posts are getting better and better which is suprising as I was generally considered one of the best posters on here within a month of joining - Shit imagine how I'll be respected on here in a year if my current form continues ???
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #42
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289

to be honest i think lawton never had a snowball in hells chance, that prediction was shocking IMO
but i think boxing news is a great mag, better than BM and slightly above RING usually. having said that, i preferred it when claude was editor, got to give tris time but it used to be better
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #43
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Scott Lawton was always getting well beat I was surprised they even made the match.

I know money talks but he got thrown to the lions there.

I hope Boxing News doesn't go under in the future...although I tend to buy Boxing Monthly every month I buy Boxing News when there is some decent fights coming up or the week after some good ones.

Although the Internet is great for instant info, the quality is not always up to printed publication standards.

I imagine it's harder to make a full time living out of a E-Zine.....therefore better quality writers may be pushed out due to lack of income.
Guy is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #44
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Boxing News is just like any publication. Generally, they keep their bias off the reports and in the editorials. Sometimes there'll be a howler of a pick, but that's because people get carried away by a fighter or see something that they think will be a factor, but then isn't.

The Ring has great feature articles (but the most awful magazine design, what tit does that for them?), BM has some excellent writers (as listed above) and will buy in great articles from the internet too, and BN has a more UK centric focus as well as the international coverage.

Also, that coverage of even the smallest shows means you can keep up with the sport outside of the big stories, which is what BM and The Ring focus on. It has its place and, frankly, people saying it's on its way down are just idiots who clearly know nothing about how magazines work.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #45
dondada
Contender
ESB Senior Member

BN employs young staff on what I suspect is very low wages. Ergo...

And as for Rob getting banned for posting a link to BN here, that's entirely up to Eastside and Rob's reaction is totally fair.

BN makes decisions regarding their own mag, Eastside has a right to do the same.
dondada is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum