Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #46
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172
Default Re: Boxing news losing the plot

Is this magazine being slagged off the same Boxing News that I buy, without fail, week in week out?

The same magazine who publish reports of a high standard of fights from all across the globe and much more trustworthy for their news than any site on the internet?

I wonder how the OP is doing in the prediction league? So they got 2 predictions wrong... Big ****ing deal. I wonder what contribution to Boxing journalism the OP has made?
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #47
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

A lot of hate on BN here isnt there?

I get it every Friday and I'll be honest, I cant wait to get home to read it. Yes the predictions are off sometimes (and Lawton was a wild one, I read it and thought "maybe the Armenian really is over the hill and weight drained" - although it didnt make me change my predictions!).

Other than that though, it's a great read. Awesome international and domestic coverage. Even if you may not agree with writers' reviews, the fact is has a presence at almost every card that month means you can go away and find another review somewhere else. I've read the odd copy of "Ring" but it seems like too much hard work to try to get a copy of it here. Boxing Monthly is just too infrequent, reading a monthly boxing magazine hardly seems worth it.

I think BN have it pretty much spot on at the moment. Releasing it on the Friday means there is less chance of a fight being pulled (yes, it obviously still happens), but the fights from the previous weeks are not too distant a memory, and it also gives us keyboard warriors a chance to make our own minds up before their analysis arrives (which, more often than not, I find myself agreeing with).

It's articles are generally of a good standard too and this is where I think it stands out from most websites. While the articles on the web are decent enough, the articles in BN always seem to be of a much higher quality to me.

All in all, I love it. And I think it's still got a long life span.

And - if you havent read it for a while, I'd encourage anyone to get it.

Abrams leaving was a blow, but this new fella (cant remember his name now) seems alright. Although it will be a while before I start placing the same credibility on his word than I did on Abrams'.
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #48
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I got shit for that over on GF when I first joined and made that same point. I now have knocking on 20,000 posts and it doesn't mean I know any more or less about boxing than I did when I had 10 posts.
I thought you knew f*ck all when I joined up.

I still reckon I'm right...

Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #49
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD1983 View Post
I thought you knew f*ck all when I joined up.

I still reckon I'm right...

GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #50
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Abrams leaving was a blow, but this new fella (cant remember his name now) seems alright. Although it will be a while before I start placing the same credibility on his word than I did on Abrams'.
To clarify, this is for no other reason than the countless, brilliant, articles, reviews and editorials that Abrams did. Nothing against this new guy, just that Abrams had time served. I've no reason, at the mo, to think that the new fella cant do the same.

(Feel quite disrespectful not knowing his name, but I cant be @rsed googling it!)
Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #51
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
To clarify, this is for no other reason than the countless, brilliant, articles, reviews and editorials that Abrams did. Nothing against this new guy, just that Abrams had time served. I've no reason, at the mo, to think that the new fella cant do the same.

(Feel quite disrespectful not knowing his name, but I cant be @rsed googling it!)
He's call Tris Dixon, like yer said Abrahms was timed served under Harry Mullan & took the mag through varies stages to keep it alive & try & get it more into the public eye.

Obviously any new editor wants to stamp his own mark & format but i've always been a believer in that if it ai'nt broke why fix it. I'am not arsed about how they call a fight as we all know if we could all get it right we'd be rich.
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #52
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
He's call Tris Dixon, like yer said Abrahms was timed served under Harry Mullan & took the mag through varies stages to keep it alive & try & get it more into the public eye.

Obviously any new editor wants to stamp his own mark & format but i've always been a believer in that if it ai'nt broke why fix it. I'am not arsed about how they call a fight as we all know if we could all get it right we'd be rich.
That's the fella
Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #53
slipandmove

vCash: 500

I try pick up a boxing news every friday hav done for years i find it a pretty decent read good for brit actions anyway only thing i don't like about it lately is the way the between the rounds questions at the back of the magazine have changed with questions like 1 when was the last time you cryed 2 most expensive thing you have brought 3 what 4 celebs would you invite to a dinner party????
i used to like to know about a fighters diet and training routine!
slipandmove is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #54
fuzzyfights
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel has heart View Post
I put 20 on Lawton to get sparked early and WILLIAM HILL have took my money and wont pay up. ****ing rougues.
what was the bet?
fuzzyfights is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #55
Laikaka
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I'm afraid Boxing News disappoints me hugely. The sport is riddled with problems like no other yet sadly Boxing News does not want to get it's hands dirty.

As they say, if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Laikaka is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #56
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laikaka View Post
I'm afraid Boxing News disappoints me hugely. The sport is riddled with problems like no other yet sadly Boxing News does not want to get it's hands dirty.

As they say, if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Not sure about that. last week's editorial was quite scathing I thought on the Lawton mismatch.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #57
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laikaka View Post

Which is why it has fallen out with almost all the top British Promoters...
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 AM   #58
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Ain't bought it for 3 weeks now......just don't like the new format, little changes irked me big time.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #59
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Not sure about that. last week's editorial was quite scathing I thought on the Lawton mismatch.
What did it say?
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #60
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
What did it say?
Basic gist was that fighters should earn their shot, Lawton hadnt and he wasnt the only one. Mention of Chavez jr being another who hasnt earned his right to hold a belt. Went on to say it's a problem with all the governing bodies.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum