Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #61
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Boxing news losing the plot

It's a fair comment, though being cynical, why bother earning your shot when you can just get one anyway?

Fighters have been doing it for years, but in the last couple of years it's gotten beyond a joke. Lose by dominant stoppage in a world title fight... doesn't matter.... you get another bite straight away, rather than having to win at least a couple of tough fights first.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #62
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
It's a fair comment, though being cynical, why bother earning your shot when you can just get one anyway?

Fighters have been doing it for years, but in the last couple of years it's gotten beyond a joke. Lose by dominant stoppage in a world title fight... doesn't matter.... you get another bite straight away, rather than having to win at least a couple of tough fights first.
its down to the face theres 4 world title. you just have to look at it as there getting a shot at a belt holder rather than a world champion.

Hatton got knocked out by Mayweather and had to beat Lazcano and Mallignaggi to earn his shot at Manny.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #63
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post

The criticism was levelled at governing bodies rather than fighters themselves. Lawton said in an interview that he didnt think he'd get a shot, but when it was presented he wasnt going to turn it down. Which is fair enough I think. You cant criticise the fighters, just the organisations.

Dont hate the player and all that...
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #64
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Oh yeah I agree. It would have been a nice payday for Lawton and he has every right to exploit (if that's the right word) the chances that are presented to him.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #65
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
its down to the face theres 4 world title. you just have to look at it as there getting a shot at a belt holder rather than a world champion.

Hatton got knocked out by Mayweather and had to beat Lazcano and Mallignaggi to earn his shot at Manny.
If you want to be accurate, strictly speaking it was Manny getting the shot at Hatton at 140, Hatton was still the champ at that weight after losing to Mayweather at 147.

Unless you are talking about the mythical P4P title so beloved of Hatton....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #66
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 987

the ring and bm are best for articles and analysis while boxing news is great for reportage.i always buy the ring and the odd on of the other two. I might have to get a ring subscription because every time pac is on the cover the filipinos buy every issue
nip102 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #67
sidthehat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

thought this month's boxing monthly was very interesting with Dana White and DiBella discussing problems in boxing promoting.
sidthehat is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #68
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthehat View Post
thought this month's boxing monthly was very interesting with Dana White and DiBella discussing problems in boxing promoting.
dibella came across well white is an ass and ****** seems to hate gbp
nip102 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #69
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Alot of people on here seem to hate BN. Like the div who kept posting retarded essays in every thread...Bennie I think. He just sounded jealous he was not writing for them.

BN is back upto scratch now. Last weeks mag was superb and the latest one seems pretty good too.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #70
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

I find boxing monthly a little boring. Always out of date with everything it publishes and the articles are not much better than other publications.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #71
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Alot of people on here seem to hate BN. Like the div who kept posting retarded essays in every thread...Bennie I think. He just sounded jealous he was not writing for them.

BN is back upto scratch now. Last weeks mag was superb and the latest one seems pretty good too.
Obviously Bennie was posting stuff he had posted on other websites. Its a shame he has stopped posting on here because he is very knowledgeable and he still posts on boxrec's forum.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #72
Laikaka
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
Which is why it has fallen out with almost all the top British Promoters...
Criticism of an undercard is a drop in the ocean in the context of what else goes on. How is it that ****** has so many boxers in the WBO rankings? How did Gary Lockett get to WBO #1 contender? What about Holyfield's shot at Valuev? To which Boxing News said "the WBA really should be made to explain this." That's their job to do get them to do that! They just turn a blind eye.
Laikaka is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #73
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Anyone got todays issue yet? any good?
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #74
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

My post arrives after I've left the house. I can tell you tomorrow...
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #75
Chinny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Bit harsh mate. Bennie (and his brother) used to write for BN. I think his name is Tony Connelly. He got annoyed with boxrec and started posting here instead when the likes of Danny Flexen posted on boxrec. Now Bennie is back at boxrec..

He had some kind of beef with BN as they replaced his brother with Flexen. Soemthing like that anyway.
Chinny is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum