Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: From Beasts to Broken Men. Fighters Who Really were never the same again???

If we're specifically talking about fighters losing their '0' and not looking the same since, I'd nominate Juan Diaz as a recent one and also Pavlik. People thought Pavlik was an utter beast.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #17
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict

Default Re: From Beasts to Broken Men. Fighters Who Really were never the same again???

Enzo Maccarenelli
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
vCash: 75

enzo after haye fight
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #19
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Paul "Scrap Iron" Ryan.

There's a blast from the past...Didn't he have a barn burner with Ross Hale...

I used to love his entrance to the Ring... Did he fight out of the Pea**** Gym...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

In a cloth cap and to "Any old iron"!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
One Round
Hertfordshire's Finest
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I don't agree, he took some very decent shots against Mayweather before going down. He also came out on top in tough fights against Collazo, Urango, etc.

I think Hattons best performance was Zoo but I don't think thats been down to punch resistance.
I was referring to Hatton after the Mayweather defeat. He didn't seem to be able to take a punch like he used to. Lascano buzzed him pretty badly, Paulie couldn't punch through a wet paper bag so didn't really test him, Pacquaio ktfo.
One Round is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Kessler could be on this list soon. Wouldn't exactly say broken but he's never got back the same ring presence and domination he had over lesser opponents since the Calzaghe loss. Perdomo and Sartisan were the types he was decimating prior to that yet both had moments of success. That little tiny doubt in the back of the mind just takes the edge off some fighters.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Edit: Doh!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Tony Canzoneri after fighting Jimmy McLarnin
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Round View Post
I was referring to Hatton after the Mayweather defeat. He didn't seem to be able to take a punch like he used to. Lascano buzzed him pretty badly, Paulie couldn't punch through a wet paper bag so didn't really test him, Pacquaio ktfo.
Ah sorry! Time will tell but I think theres every chance that the mayweather fight will be the one thats looked back on as affecting Hattons punch resistance.

To play devils advocate, Lascano was a very decent puncher at 135 and Pac did catch Hatton with some hard shots before he got flattened by a punch I doubt he even saw coming.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #26
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
Just had this thought from a post i did in another thread.

There's fighters who can lose a fight and come back straight away and look the part. Some fighters come of age after a loss, Some are like fine wines and get better with age...but some have that air of destruction about them they walk with that undefeated tag...when there hurt fighters just can't finish the job

They beat all in there path's,they look unstoppable, They have that stare of a man that doesn't contemplate losing then one night they meet there match and someone has the bottle to take there '0' and from that night they never ever look the same man,as if there broken mentally..like things cannot be the same.

What fighters can you think of that had that feel about them and then when they were beaten just never ever looked the same fighter. I know a few but i'm gonna let you lads discuss and argue
Some people seem to be having trouble grasping the concept of a "first loss"...
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Yep so far there ain't one i disagree with. I think TFFP you hit nail on head...they lose that edge. Things these fighters used to do they now are wary of doing and lose there belief and effectiveness. It doesn't stop them being great fighters but they never look as good and for me it's sad...some of these guys if they could handle defeat the way some other fighters dealt with it could of been even better.

Scrap Iron was a legend i remember those days....remember Geoff McCreesh sparking him.

Videos showing why and how these fighters weren't the same again would be good.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #28
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: From Unbeaten Beasts to Broken Men. Fighters Who Really were never the same again

Camacho although he never lost to El Chapo, was never the same after.

He went from super-fast handed slickster, to olympic level sprinter.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #29
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

Cristian Mijares after the beating Vic inflicted on him.

Jhonny Gonzalez after the Vasquez fight.

Still to be seen of course, since both are still active (I think). But they looked to have slipped quite a bit after those defeats.

Davey Moore after Duran (he beat Benitez via ankle injury, but never came good on his early promise).
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #30
diagnosismurder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: From Unbeaten Beasts to Broken Men. Fighters Who Really were never the same again

jermain taylor maybe
diagnosismurder is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum