Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 121,469
vCash: 36829
Default Leonardo Zappavigna

What's the skinny on this kid?

We Yanks get a glimpse on March 6th when he co-features with Vic Darchinyan on Showtime, but what's the scouting report?

His only recognizable win to me is a shutout pitched over Gairy St. Clair during Gairy's recent skid (a few months after Mlungisi Dlamini did the same, and a few weeks before he was stopped by Jackson Asiku).

Fernando Angulo is a stiff test for any 22 year old. Is this "Lenny Zappa" up to it?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: "Mr 3 time"
Posts: 12,096
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
What's the skinny on this kid?

We Yanks get a glimpse on March 6th when he co-features with Vic Darchinyan on Showtime, but what's the scouting report?

His only recognizable win to me is a shutout pitched over Gairy St. Clair during Gairy's recent skid (a few months after Mlungisi Dlamini did the same, and a few weeks before he was stopped by Jackson Asiku).

Fernando Angulo is a stiff test for any 22 year old. Is this "Lenny Zappa" up to it?

Zappa is in great condition....hes got a good jaw...throws punches in bunches...has good power in both hands....in short...jes he can do it
ashley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Zappa is in great condition....hes got a good jaw...throws punches in bunches...has good power in both hands....in short...jes he can do it
Good jaw? not his strong point.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: "Mr 3 time"
Posts: 12,096
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
Good jaw? not his strong point.
Its good enough.....I have seen him cop lots of good shots...he will be fine...I know hes been down before
ashley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Its good enough.....I have seen him cop lots of good shots...he will be fine
Don't sell Angulo short Ash. Different ball game for Lenny now.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: "Mr 3 time"
Posts: 12,096
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
Don't sell Angulo short Ash. Different ball game for Lenny now.
I'm not mate...I seen enough of Angulo to know what hes like...just watch Diaz V Angulo...this is what the Zappa fight will be like......it gives you the thoughts that hes in for a hard night

However I'm a Zappa fan and Im very happy about this fight...and I will back him for the win
ashley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

This is one of those turning point fights for Lenny.
I believe fighters go through testing stages where they come out either better, even, or worse.
The result of this fight, as a career pointer, won't be seen until a couple of fights after, whether he wins or loses.

It's a tough encounter. Lenny's stocks would rise considerably if he dominates. Hope he does, but it will be his hardest test.
Go Zap.
Rodin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
PIPO23
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sydney, OZ.
Posts: 8,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

He is of ITALIAN descent has a ratty like Tszyu.He hits hard and has only fought aussie record padders.Good fighter just not sure how he goes overseas against the better 135'ers.But he should win this coming fight.His opponent doesn't seem to be all that flash.Keep an eye out also for Tomilson who I think is another Aussie prospect who is going places.
PIPO23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
I'm not mate...I seen enough of Angulo to know what hes like...just watch Diaz V Angulo...this is what the Zappa fight will be like......it gives you the thoughts that hes in for a hard night

However I'm a Zappa fan and Im very happy about this fight...and I will back him for the win
perfect jet is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Very hard fight for Leo...This is the kind of step up he needs though.

Im confident he will pass the test.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
daz52
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 1195
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Zappa has a big big left rip to the body which he throws viciously. He is a good pressue fighter. In my opinion he can do well on the world stage but i am concerned about him against the real top tier fighters. He has been caught a number of times buy much lesser fighters then the top lighteweights out there. Shaky defence and i think he needs to settle down a bit. Like alot of Aussie fighters he is just so desperate to go forward and pressure that as i said i fear the top guys will bust him up as he tries to come in.

But he is a work in progress so hopefully the move to America with some better opposition and sparring will give his defense some much needed improvement. We all know he already has the attack part down but that is only one part of the game.
daz52 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,981
vCash: 75
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz52 View Post
Zappa has a big big left rip to the body which he throws viciously. He is a good pressue fighter. In my opinion he can do well on the world stage but i am concerned about him against the real top tier fighters. He has been caught a number of times buy much lesser fighters then the top lighteweights out there. Shaky defence and i think he needs to settle down a bit. Like alot of Aussie fighters he is just so desperate to go forward and pressure that as i said i fear the top guys will bust him up as he tries to come in.

But he is a work in progress so hopefully the move to America with some better opposition and sparring will give his defense some much needed improvement. We all know he already has the attack part down but that is only one part of the game.
Gotta test yourself at some stage.

Good luck to him.

I just hope he isn't demoralised or beaten up too bad, otherwise this will look bad on the Aussie local front.
the beaver is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 121,469
vCash: 36829
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Very hard fight for Leo...This is the kind of step up he needs though.

Im confident he will pass the test.
Do you expect him to struggle as bad as Baby Bull did, or is he a higher class of prospect (or just a different styles dynamic)?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Do you expect him to struggle as bad as Baby Bull did, or is he a higher class of prospect (or just a different styles dynamic)?
Based on that performance he may well.

But I havent seen a full fight of Angulos since, dont know where he is at. To tell you the truth Im surprised he is still making lightweight.

Lenny aint as tight or well schooled as Diaz, his output isnt quite as consistent but he of course hits harder.
Based on that performance of Angulo and where Zappa is now, I see Leo's tendency to get a bit wild when he puts his shots together possibly playing right into Angulos hands.
Thats been the question mark about Leo for a while, he is wide open when he lets his hands go and he has been dropped a few times because of it. I think his chin is solid enough but Angulo would be the hardest puncher he has faced.

Fernando seems like that typical South American brawler...a little more fluid and looser then the Mexican variety, with a more offensive variety but not as technically or tactically sound.

So I think if all the boys have done their homework then they will see its time for Lenny to really showcase his skills. Because I think its going to take a smart, disciplined performance from Lenny to come out of this one unscathed.
Im looking at this worst case scanario though, that Fernando is just as good as he was 4 years ago and is making the weight no trouble.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 75
Default Re: Leonardo Zappavigna

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Based on that performance he may well.

But I havent seen a full fight of Angulos since, dont know where he is at. To tell you the truth Im surprised he is still making lightweight.

Lenny aint as tight or well schooled as Diaz, his output isnt quite as consistent but he of course hits harder.
Based on that performance of Angulo and where Zappa is now, I see Leo's tendency to get a bit wild when he puts his shots together possibly playing right into Angulos hands.
Thats been the question mark about Leo for a while, he is wide open when he lets his hands go and he has been dropped a few times because of it. I think his chin is solid enough but Angulo would be the hardest puncher he has faced.

Fernando seems like that typical South American brawler...a little more fluid and looser then the Mexican variety, with a more offensive variety but not as technically or tactically sound.

So I think if all the boys have done their homework then they will see its time for Lenny to really showcase his skills. Because I think its going to take a smart, disciplined performance from Lenny to come out of this one unscathed.
Im looking at this worst case scanario though, that Fernando is just as good as he was 4 years ago and is making the weight no trouble.
Good Post. I am not sure Angulo is anywhere near where he was 4 years ago either which is good for Lenny. He has lost his past two fights to fairly average opponents and i read on another board that it was partly to do with him really struggling to make weight. He is apparently a serial offender at failing to make 135 so we will have to see what happens. Apparently his power has diminished a fair bit and his punch resistance has gone a bit to in the last 2 or so years.

One thing that i find promising is that Diaz had alot of success against Angulo going to the body; something Lenny does better than most.

I think it will be a tough fight for both... but im going to go with Lenny by late TKO. I think if he can stay composed, work the body and wait for opportunities he should be able to get Angulo out of there by accumulation of body shots and sharp head punches.
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013