Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #31
mugen82
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3010
Default Re: From Broken Man To Beast: Fighters Who Really were that much better after a beati

Bernard Hopkins, Marvin Hagler, Nonito Donaire, Steve Robinson lol.
mugen82 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #32
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: From Broken Man To Beast: Fighters Who Really were that much better after a beati

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Based on what? Putting 5 pounds of weight on?
no point going into in this thread. I have made prenty of comments on it elsewhere.

if you wanna discuss will pm you.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #33
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgive Me View Post
Enzo Maccarenelli suffered a early KO blow to his career and bounced back all the way to become a World Champion !!!!

Enzo - it had been well documented was about 19 years old at the time - and was not taking the fight game seriously enough.

He was out drinking the night before at a Swansea Nighclub until the early hours.

The next day - he fought when still hung over - and was knocked out in 3 rounds by journeyman Lee Swaby.

With his bubble burst - Enzos career could have easily just fell by the wayside.

But he was determined he didnt want to be rembered as just some failed pretty boy.

Just another Glamour boy who didnt have what it took.

He wanted to be remebered for more than just a average boxer who just happened to have movie star good looks.

So despite his glass chin - through hard work and detemination he built himself back up and became WBU and WBO World Crusierweight Champion.

And also even though he got destroyed - he fought for the WBC / WBA World titles too.

So Enzo definetly became alot better fighter after his early KO loss.
1) Enzo was never thought off as a glamour bou
2) He will still be remembered as an average boxer
3) He never has, and never will have movie star good looks
4) WBU is not a world title
5) He never won the WBO title in the ring, it was awarded to him when Nelson vacated.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #34
Gaz S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
Paulie Mallignaggi, as the more observant amongst you will know, is one of my favourite fighters in the sport today. However, I have to admit that prior to his first ever defeat, to Miguel Cotto, he flattered to decieve.

So I would say that it was the Cotto defeat that turned Paulie's career around. I still think that he beats Hatton 9 times out of 10 and simply had an awful night in November 2008.
I have hell of a lot of respect for Malignaggi. Whether you agree with him or not, or like his loudmouth brash style, you have to admit he's not afraid to call it how he sees it. I actually agree with a lot of what he says (most of the time) and I don't hear too many fighters being as open, honest and truthful as Paulie can be, not only about other boxers but about himself also.
Danny Flexen did a great "State Of The Game" interview with him in Boxing News a few months back, and it's one of the better interviews I've read.

Great quote from one of the best writers in the game, Thomas Hauser:

"Let's appreciate Paulie Malignaggi for what he is: a talented fighter who's always in shape, works hard to promote his fights, comes to win, does the best he can with what he has, and refuses to quit. If that's not faithful to to the best traditions of boxing, I don't know what is."

Spot on. Like him or not, you have to respect Malignaggi.
Gaz S is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #35
Gaz S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What about Pernell Whitaker after the first Ramirez fight? In a way, you can make an arguement for it's qualifications in this thread.
Yes Sweet Pea was robbed out of sight in that one, but it was still officially a "loss". Just look what he went on to do afterwards!
Gaz S is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #36
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Miguel Canto, Benny Leonard, Hopkins, who all lost their first fight, i'm sure there are other greats i'm forgetting as well.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #37
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Miguel Canto, Benny Leonard, Hopkins, who all lost their first fight, i'm sure there are other greats i'm forgetting as well.
The Marquez brothers both lost on their pro debuts but came back to be world class fighters.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #38
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
The Marquez brothers both lost on their pro debuts but came back to be world class fighters.
Sal Sanchez, Alexis Arguello and Henry Armstrong also suffered early setbacks.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #39
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Sal Sanchez, Alexis Arguello and Henry Armstrong also suffered early setbacks.
and hopkins
Old 02-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #40
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Of course
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #41
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
1) Enzo was never thought off as a glamour bou
2) He will still be remembered as an average boxer
3) He never has, and never will have movie star good looks
4) WBU is not a world title
5) He never won the WBO title in the ring, it was awarded to him when Nelson vacated.
1) He stated quite clearly in the build up to the fight with David Haye he wanted to be the unifed Champ to make something of his life and be more than just the glamour boy of Swansea.

2) Average on a world level - but thats alot of levels above getting KO'd by a Jounrneyman like Swaby.

3) Enzo himself said he didnt want to be a "failed pretty boy" and has since starred in a movie just ask Gaz S With loads of women fancying him he was along with rival Versace male model David Haye the ladies *** symbol of British Boxing.

4) WBU is a World title - wether you like it or not.

5) He knocked out Dominguez to become the heir to the throne
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #42
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict

David Haye did well to bounce back from the Carl Thompson defeat

All the way to become Heavyweight Champion of the World !!!!!!!!!!

Haye - a personal friend of Big Brother Ladies Man 29 year old Ziggy Lichmen - bounced back and went on a long winning streak - winning Crusierweight and Heavyweight titles.
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #43
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Back to your old ways then
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #44
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
1) He stated quite clearly in the build up to the fight with David Haye he wanted to be the unifed Champ to make something of his life and be more than just the glamour boy of Swansea.

2) Average on a world level - but thats alot of levels above getting KO'd by a Jounrneyman like Swaby.

3) Enzo himself said he didnt want to be a "failed pretty boy" and has since starred in a movie just ask Gaz S With loads of women fancying him he was along with rival Versace male model David Haye the ladies *** symbol of British Boxing.

4) WBU is a World title - wether you like it or not.

5) He knocked out Dominguez to become the heir to the throne
WBU is not a world title. when was Dominguez WBO champion???

Women might fancy him, but he aint pretty. Its not difficult to be the glamour boy of swansea
Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #45
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Enzo Maccarenelli suffered a early KO blow to his career and bounced back all the way to become a World Champion !!!!

Enzo - it had been well documented was about 19 years old at the time - and was not taking the fight game seriously enough.

He was out drinking the night before at a Swansea Nighclub until the early hours.

The next day - he fought when still hung over - and was knocked out in 3 rounds by journeyman Lee Swaby.

With his bubble burst - Enzos career could have easily just fell by the wayside.

But he was determined he didnt want to be rembered as just some failed pretty boy.

Just another Glamour boy who didnt have what it took.

He wanted to be remebered for more than just a average boxer who just happened to have movie star good looks.

So despite his glass chin - through hard work and detemination he built himself back up and became WBU and WBO World Crusierweight Champion.

And also even though he got destroyed - he fought for the WBC / WBA World titles too.

So Enzo definetly became alot better fighter after his early KO loss.
From now on your new name is "Enzo the baker" I'm a huge "Godfather" fan and Enzo was the Chorleone's family baker. When Don Chorleone was in the hospital from a gun shots by the rival family, his son guarded the front of the hospital and Enzo who was no gangster but the baker, stood by Michael and guarded the door as if he had a gun. Your protection for Maccarenelli reminds me of Enzo's loyalty for the Don. Lol.
slip&counter is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum