Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #76
Gaz S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best Effort In A Losing Performance From A British Fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO MAS View Post
I agree with your point on Reids performance...

I am a Calzaghe fan, he did what he did and beat all comers who stood in front of him... The likes of Tucker Pudwill and a few others that were very poor indeed... Not all his fault though...

I went to the Hopkins fight as with many of Calzaghes fights and I feel that if the decision would have gone to Hopkins there would not have been many arguments...
I'm not particularly a fan or non-fan of Calzaghe's. I do rate him, but in the online boxing world it appears you have to love him or hate him. I think he's a good fighter with a lot of talent - incredible fitness and stamina - however, I just think a lot of his career has been a bit of smoke and mirrors in terms of credibility.
Here in Wales all you ever hear is how he was 10 years unbeaten as champion so he must be an amazing all time great legend.
Not mentioning it was the lightly regarded (more so at the time) WBO title, mostly in his own back yard, mostly against Sobots, Thornberrys, Veits, Pudwills, etc.
Yes he had good defences too, and some good wins. But most here in Wales don't actually look at the balance or in perspective.
Gaz S is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #77
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz S View Post
I'm not particularly a fan or non-fan of Calzaghe's. I do rate him, but in the online boxing world it appears you have to love him or hate him. I think he's a good fighter with a lot of talent - incredible fitness and stamina - however, I just think a lot of his career has been a bit of smoke and mirrors in terms of credibility.
Here in Wales all you ever hear is how he was 10 years unbeaten as champion so he must be an amazing all time great legend.
Not mentioning it was the lightly regarded (more so at the time) WBO title, mostly in his own back yard, mostly against Sobots, Thornberrys, Veits, Pudwills, etc.
Yes he had good defences too, and some good wins. But most here in Wales don't actually look at the balance or in perspective.

Smoke and Mirrors...

Can you elaborate on that... There are lots of things that just didn't sit right but JC stayed motivated through some soul searching times waiting for opponents and recovering from hand injuries...

Not an easy time...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 02:47 AM   #78
Kid Lucky
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURNLEYBLUE View Post
Jim McDonnell v Azumah Nelson.
Good call. Remember seeing Nelson destroy Cowdell on the telly and he was near his peak and expected to give Jim a beating. McDonnell fought like he was possessed that night, took some serious shots and kept things close by throwing throughout.

Bad knockout at the end with McDonnell totally exhausted.

1000th post on one of my oldest original from telly VHS vids of fights - nice.
Kid Lucky is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #79
BURNLEYBLUE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Lucky View Post
Good call. Remember seeing Nelson destroy Cowdell on the telly and he was near his peak and expected to give Jim a beating. McDonnell fought like he was possessed that night, took some serious shots and kept things close by throwing throughout.

Bad knockout at the end with McDonnell totally exhausted.

1000th post on one of my oldest original from telly VHS vids of fights - nice.
I was a big McGuigan fan. He was my kind of fighter. Having gone to the Gmex a few moths earlier and seen McDonnell destroy any chance of a Mcguigan-Nelson showdown, with his slashing long left.Looking back he prob did Barry a favour, but I was'nt a massive Jimmy Mac fan. I was come the end of the Nelson fight though. If he had any regrets after the Brian Mitchell fight, he certainly gave every last ounce of himself that night. Gave more that night than some fighters do their hole career. One of the guttsiest showings I ever seen in a British ring.
BURNLEYBLUE is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #80
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What about Jim McDonnell against Azumah Nelson
atberry is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #81
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ah just been mentioned
atberry is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #82
The Fen Tiger

vCash: 500

The first fight i went to -

Dave 'Boy' Green against Carlos Palomino, after 14 rounds Green had just simply run out of energy......
The Fen Tiger is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #83
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

He wasn't overmatched as the original criteria requires, but how about Terry Downes against Willie Pastrano?
As I understand it he was well on his way to victory until getting stopped in the eleventh (i've only ever seen the fights conclusion where Downes is getting punched around the ring).
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #84
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Shea Neary against Mickey Ward.

I know Ward wasn't really world class but he wasn't far off it and still a level or 2 above Neary. Neary hurt Ward a few times in that one.
toffeejack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum