Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
antcull
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Darren Barker to fight in April.....on Showtime?

Also discusses his man love for Fat Mick.....wonder if he will get a decent opponent?

Quote:
By Terence Dooley

Darren Barker finished 2009 in style by clinically dissecting Danny Butler over seven-rounds in December. Barker, 27, has been quiet since then and many British fans have asked when and where ‘Dazzling’ will be in action as promoter Mick Hennessy’s lack of a TV deal starts to bite on his glittering stable of boxing talent.

“It looks like April sometime,” confirmed Barker when asked about his next assignment. “I’m just waiting for the date to be confirmed. Mick is trying to get Showtime coverage so we’ve got that exposure across the pond.”

However, the uncertainty over a TV deal, which has seen Carl Froch’s fight with Mikkel Kessler farmed out to the Primetime PPV channel, did not cause Barker to consider where his promotional future lay.

“Not at all, Mick is a top bloke, a boxing man first and foremost, and he is also a good businessman so I was sure that something would be sorted,” said the 21-0 (14) boxer. “There isn’t enough loyalty in all walks of life in this day and age but especially so in boxing – I’d like to show loyalty to Mick and he’s the only promoter I’m interested in working with. I know Mick as a friend and he brought me to where I am today and has made me British and Commonwealth champion, which is a dream come true. I think we are moving in the right direction.

“Three fights would be nice this year, one more than last year. You could maybe hope for more than that but if you are winning and progressing then three fights a year doesn’t seem too bad. Plus, I’m only young so have got a few years left!”

Barker had a brief sabbatical from the sport after the death of his brother Gary in 2006 but decided to return to boxing after a chat with his trainer, Tony Sims, and with the full backing of Hennessy, who guided Darren to the Commonwealth and British titles on his return to the ring. The Commonwealth Games gold medallist believes that he is now approaching his peak.

“At the level I’m at now you have to be a complete professional and have all the shots in your repertoire so I’m always practising and learning to perfect every shot in the book. I’m getting to that top level now so can’t be lacking in any regard. I’m becoming a rounded pro,” declared Barker.
antcull is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841
Default Re: Darren Barker to fight in April.....on Showtime?

Barker needs a decent opponent on that show and a good performance. Anyone want to throw some possible decent fighters into the hat as opposition for that night?
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
ScouseLad
Belt holder
ESB Addict

"and he is also a good businessman"

Well, at least Darren has a career in comedy if Mick doesnt deliver the fights.
ScouseLad is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
antcull
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Anyone want to throw some possible decent fighters into the hat as opposition for that night?
Obviously Macklin is a no-go at the moment.....only legit options that would give a good fight atm are Moore and Murray...

Will probably be Paul Samuels
antcull is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071

It is sad that murray, barker etc would all be further along with a different promoter however you can't knock him for his loyalty I just hope it isn't at the expense of his long term future though.
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Why would Showtime be interested in Barker?

They have the Super 6, Izzy vs Rafa IV and a fair shake at screening fights from DiBella and other promoters.....

Barker leaving Hennessy wouldn't be disloyal - disloyalty would be walking out on your long time trainer or something.... not a promoter that has failed to move you and can't get you on TV.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-15-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
antcull
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I could be wrong but when the rumour popped up on here that Hennessey would be working with Showtime, I thought it might be something similar to the Shobox deal ****** had with Showtime for British domestic fights a few years back.

But Henessey's stable is much thinner than Frank's.
Showtime think Tyson Fury will be the next big thing in boxing....they wanna tie him in early with a multi-fight contract..... Its all about Fury this deal
antcull is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Interesting - I'll be honest I've not looked into it that much.

In fairness given the way Hennessy ballsed up the ITV deal and the Froch vs Taylor/Dirrell/Kessler fights.... even if he gets a deal there's no guarantee it will succeed.

Fury hasn't fought since October I don't think, maybe Showtime will have a word in his ear about joining a stable with more fighters to make a better package - Hatton would be interested (in the TV deal) no doubt, he's got Macklin who could sell in America, plus others.

I just wouldn't trust Mick Hennessy to get anything right these days. The past year has been one **** up after another
Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..

I would imagine he would be on undercards if Showtime were to show him and then who knows how us Brits would get to see him.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcull View Post
Obviously Macklin is a no-go at the moment.....only legit options that would give a good fight atm are Moore and Murray...

Will probably be Paul Samuels

Nah I meant Americans of Stateside based fighters.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Old 02-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Yeah I can't see it coming off. On one of Dan Rafael's ESPN chats he mentioned how poor some of ******'s Shobox cards were so it's hard to imagine Showtime being thrilled with Hennessey's current crop.

But like I say, I'm not sure what these rumours actually amount to. It might be just one or two one-off showcase cards. Or it might be nothing at all.
If Hennessy by some miracle gets the deal he will have to match them tough.

****** had some decent names but they were all fighting for WBU and WBOgus titles..... against cannon fodder.

Hennessy would have to stick Barker in with Macklin/Pirog, Fury in with Chisora, Murray with any one of top quality hispanic lightweights..... Froch is already tied to Showtime for the next 2 (probably 3 or 4) fights - with the shite undercard served up in Nottingham it doesn't bode well. He'd need to get some of his lads on those bills wherever they are and hope for the best.

I'd be interested to hear how much money his fighters earn and what costs (if any) he deducts - because without even promoting small hall/regional shows I struggle to see how he gets any money through his company.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum