SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: making the olympic team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVIO_DANTE View Post
Calm down though.

If he believes he's good enough then he should go for it.

+

I'm sure there are a fair few boxers that have never had an amateur bout that would have experienced amateurs eating canvas eg. loads of irish travellers
sorry mate have to disagree, im irish and train with travellers (they are present in every club over here), there seems to be this notion in the general public that irish travellers are hard as **** , i believe this stems from the movie snatch, any irish traveller who is good over here will box for the national team, james joyce, john joe nevin for example, dont be fooled into thinking that there are travellers out there who can start knocking over experienced amateurs, any traveller who shows good skills at a young age is forced into boxing, there are bare knuckle fighters over here for example barney mcginley, (check him on youtube) he was the bare knuckle champion for a while he beat everyone in england and ireland until he got stopped by another traveller in 2008, for 6 months i trained in a gym where barney trained, a pro spike o sullivan used to train here too and spike and barney sparred one day where spike played with him, spike was giving away 6 stone and still played with this so called king of the gypsy's, btw spike o sullivan is no floyd or manny pac he will do well to get to european level
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #33
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
It seems to be a trend in our sport. Its the equivalent of me saying iv played five aside footy (soccer) for 7 years do you think i can get on the england team for the next world cup That would be ridiculous but for some reason in boxing people think their rocky moment is just round the corner!
That is a point I've always made, boxing is the only sport and probably mma now too, where people with none or very little experience somehow thinks they could win over someone who regulary trains.

Ive never played golf but I wouldnt dream of thinking I could beat the average 60yr old who plays golf on the weekened every week...its just ridiculous.

Yet in boxing, a guy could have never boxed but somehow thinks he could go in there and beat a boxer who trains 3-5 days a week for years.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #34
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
sorry mate have to disagree, im irish and train with travellers (they are present in every club over here), there seems to be this notion in the general public that irish travellers are hard as **** , i believe this stems from the movie snatch, any irish traveller who is good over here will box for the national team, james joyce, john joe nevin for example, dont be fooled into thinking that there are travellers out there who can start knocking over experienced amateurs, any traveller who shows good skills at a young age is forced into boxing, there are bare knuckle fighters over here for example barney mcginley, (check him on youtube) he was the bare knuckle champion for a while he beat everyone in england and ireland until he got stopped by another traveller in 2008, for 6 months i trained in a gym where barney trained, a pro spike o sullivan used to train here too and spike and barney sparred one day where spike played with him, spike was giving away 6 stone and still played with this so called king of the gypsy's, btw spike o sullivan is no floyd or manny pac he will do well to get to european level
Yeah you're right. Wasn't really thinking when I wrote the bit about tinkers tbh.

i've never seen snatch though lol.
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #35
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVIO_DANTE View Post
Yeah you're right. Wasn't really thinking when I wrote the bit about tinkers tbh.

i've never seen snatch though lol.
its pretty good you should download it
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #36
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I dunno I don't really tend to like those British-type movies.

I might give it a watch though.
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #37
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yes, but you really have to work hard from now til the day the qualifying rounds are. its certainly possible, dont let the nay sayers get you
Slicknick56 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing