boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #31
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 505
Default Re: Is 1RM of a bench press a good indication of potential punch power?

This is really similar to asking whether 100m times are an accurate predictor of deadlift performance.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #32
boxingtactics07
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 276
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is 1RM of a bench press a good indication of potential punch power?

The bench press will not determine your punching power. It is a simple exercise that focuses on strengthening the pec majors, triceps, and the front deltoid (which are only 3 of the many muscles used when throwing a punch). Just the end result of a punch will focus on more muscles than that. Then you factor in the start of a punch, the retraction, etc and it is technically a full body exercise.
boxingtactics07 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #33
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is 1RM of a bench press a good indication of potential punch power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Listen up okay i'll try and make it as simple as possible, your punching power comes from activating the correct muscle fibres from your feet up to your hands in the fastest, most efficient manner possible, however if you skip any link in the chain or if certain links of the chain are more easily activated than other links creating an imbalance then your power will be seriously compromised. A punch is one motion from your feet to your hands with you generating the force through your legs and core then transferring the force onto the target by tensing your arm at the point of impact. The faster you can complete the movement correctly the better your punching power. Overall strength is a factor with everything else being equal.
You think a punch is a push so bench mimics a punch? Does a bench press use the same muscles as a punch? It uses a few of them, yeah, so does a bicep curl. How fast do you push a weight compared to the speed that you throw a punch? Speed is a factor when it comes to force generated. Speed is useless however if the movement isn't correct ie. missing a link in the chain.
Put it together, a punch is one movement that has close to zero relevance to a bench press, what muscles does a bench press leave out when it comes to a punch? The ones that really matter. The muscle fibres it does activate aren't required or aren't activated at the same speed as a punch. So why would a Bench press be a good indication of punching power?
It was a stupid ****ing question, I haven't used any terminology or jargon so hopefully you can understand why you are a dumb ****.
Ha ha, Ok that must have taken you ages.... I know all of the above. I'm looking for a way of testing punching power not an explanation of what I already know einstein. Your sports science degree is a piece of **** if you think that a bicep curl will concentrically use the same muscles as a punch- tell me one punch that is initiated by a contraction of the bicep muscles. And don't bother trying to help your shoddy case by claiming fixaters.

I've gone for similar jobs to people with sports science degree's, in fact I went through a training day with 5 of them and they collectively knew **** all. It was embarassing. Myself and one of my friends were offered the jobs available over our 'more educated' counterparts. Clearly from your post above you have little understanding of my question, or idea's in which the SMART test theory could be applied.

Seriously your the worst poster i've come across on this training board. Think the degree has gone to your head a little and by stating the very obvious and thinking thats what i'm asking you've just made yourself look a right plank.

Mr On-Line Degree's .com: I ask you a question.... Give me a good alternative instead of embarassing yourself. Lets see if some of that education actually paid off.

Last edited by brown bomber; 02-26-2010 at 07:02 AM.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #34
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 1290
Default Re: Is 1RM of a bench press a good indication of potential punch power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Ha ha, Ok that must have taken you ages.... I know all of the above. I'm looking for a way of testing punching power not an explanation of what I already know einstein. Your sports science degree is a piece of **** if you think that a bicep curl will concentrically use the same muscles as a punch- tell me one punch that is initiated by a contraction of the bicep muscles. And don't bother trying to help your shoddy case by claiming fixaters.

I've gone for similar jobs to people with sports science degree's, in fact I went through a training day with 5 of them and they collectively knew **** all. It was embarassing. Myself and one of my friends were offered the jobs available over our 'more educated' counterparts. Clearly from your post above you have little understanding of my question, or idea's in which the SMART test theory could be applied.

Seriously your the worst poster i've come across on this training board. Think the degree has gone to your head a little and by stating the very obvious and thinking thats what i'm asking you've just made yourself look a right plank.

Mr On-Line Degree's .com: I ask you a question.... Give me a good alternative instead of embarassing yourself. Lets see if some of that education actually paid off.
Haha good on ya, you're a joke who asked a stupid question, everybody knows it. And noone cares about your life story btw. You are a dumb ****, it is well documented in this very thread, congratulations to you.
lefty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #35
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,694
vCash: 75
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

Brown Bomber, ive always wanted to use a shot put for training. Never actually did it but do you think throwing in a boxing motion could indicate potential power output?
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #36
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 1290
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Brown Bomber, ive always wanted to use a shot put for training. Never actually did it but do you think throwing in a boxing motion could indicate potential power output?
Dude, you're asking a guy who was wondering if a bench press is a good indication of punching power
lefty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #37
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,694
vCash: 75
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

It was a silly question anyway, but still interested in a reply. Yours aswell
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #38
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 102
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

I know your an experienced guy so Im guessing your are joking with the bench?

You can buy equipments to measure punching power but not sure how accurate they are. There's also those punching machines in fares, clubs & amusements...I know their not very accurate but I think their accurate for measuring progress.

I score much higher in those now after boxing than I did before boxing. My bro scored higher when he weighed more than he does now after cutting up. Guys who boxed tend to have a higher average on those too compared to the average guy whenever their gathered around those machines.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #39
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is 1RM of a bench press a good indication of potential punch power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Haha good on ya, you're a joke who asked a stupid question, everybody knows it. And noone cares about your life story btw. You are a dumb ****, it is well documented in this very thread, congratulations to you.
Nice way of not answering the question that EVERYONE can see I asked you.... Like I said, save your *****y female like insults for the lounge. Genius.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #40
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Dude, you're asking a guy who was wondering if a bench press is a good indication of punching power
He's asking someone whose probably accomplished far more in boxing then you have.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #41
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 102
Default Re: Is 1RM of a bench press a good indication of potential punch power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Ha ha, Ok that must have taken you ages.... I know all of the above. I'm looking for a way of testing punching power not an explanation of what I already know einstein. Your sports science degree is a piece of **** if you think that a bicep curl will concentrically use the same muscles as a punch- tell me one punch that is initiated by a contraction of the bicep muscles. And don't bother trying to help your shoddy case by claiming fixaters.

I've gone for similar jobs to people with sports science degree's, in fact I went through a training day with 5 of them and they collectively knew **** all. It was embarassing. Myself and one of my friends were offered the jobs available over our 'more educated' counterparts. Clearly from your post above you have little understanding of my question, or idea's in which the SMART test theory could be applied.

Seriously your the worst poster i've come across on this training board. Think the degree has gone to your head a little and by stating the very obvious and thinking thats what i'm asking you've just made yourself look a right plank.

Mr On-Line Degree's .com: I ask you a question.... Give me a good alternative instead of embarassing yourself. Lets see if some of that education actually paid off.
The hook would be more relative to a bench than a straight cross if your dead set on using bench as an indicator.

I cant really see the bench being a good indicator for a right cross at all. Different muscles, different motion etc. Infact a shoulder press would probably be better. If you are benching right, most of the work is done on the chest..hence why your chest grows from bench press but not so much your arms, you need separate exercises for those guns.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #42
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

Is this the uni you 'went' to

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #43
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,452
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is 1RM of a bench press a good indication of potential punch power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
The hook would be more relative to a bench than a straight cross if your dead set on using bench as an indicator.

I cant really see the bench being a good indicator for a right cross at all. Different muscles, different motion etc. Infact a shoulder press would probably be better. If you are benching right, most of the work is done on the chest..hence why your chest grows from bench press but not so much your arms, you need separate exercises for those guns.
Hi mate I appreciate the reply, please note its a question that I asked- not a statement. I don't know the answer thats why i'm asking for alternatives and pro's and cons.... I understand that its practically impossible to measure the force produced by the body at point of impact but i'm trying to find something that might give me an indication of improvement. Something that the thick **** above can't understand.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #44
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 102
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Our sensors measure the overall power of an impact against a target in g forces. Herman doubles the g force to calculate the score.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #45
izmat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

Something like this?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]#
izmat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015