Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #46
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Methods of measuring punch power progression?

Jeff - stick with med balls mate. They are a time tested method... if it ain't broke? If you need some med balls to use, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - good selection and good service.

Last edited by Bodi; 02-26-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Bodi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #47
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is 1RM of a bench press a good indication of potential punch power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Ha ha, Ok that must have taken you ages.... I know all of the above. I'm looking for a way of testing punching power not an explanation of what I already know einstein. Your sports science degree is a piece of shit if you think that a bicep curl will concentrically use the same muscles as a punch- tell me one punch that is initiated by a contraction of the bicep muscles. And don't bother trying to help your shoddy case by claiming fixaters.

I've gone for similar jobs to people with sports science degree's, in fact I went through a training day with 5 of them and they collectively knew **** all. It was embarassing. Myself and one of my friends were offered the jobs available over our 'more educated' counterparts. Clearly from your post above you have little understanding of my question, or idea's in which the SMART test theory could be applied.

Seriously your the worst poster i've come across on this training board. Think the degree has gone to your head a little and by stating the very obvious and thinking thats what i'm asking you've just made yourself look a right plank.

Mr On-Line Degree's .com: I ask you a question.... Give me a good alternative instead of embarassing yourself. Lets see if some of that education actually paid off.
Its like you two are a retarded married couple. Damn. I put up a good suggestion for you but you apparently just blew right over it.

Theres two good ways of measuring your punching power as I see it...

1)Take a 3lb medicine ball (yes they come that small) and throw your punch and release it at the end and measure how far it goes before it lands. When you can throw it farther youve increased power, or when you can throw a heavier medicine ball with proper form the same distance youve also increased power. The reason for a light medicine ball is because when you punch with a glove on theres little resistance so you should use something light.

2)Load a barbell on one end, put the unloaded end in a corner, lift up the weighted end, get in your stance with the loaded end in your hand. Have a camera that will let you upload to a computer and record yourself for a few punches (it is very close to a punch if you try it). Upload the video, you need to know how many frames per second your camera takes, count the frames it takes you to throw your punch with the barbell, figure out the time in seconds. Find a formula online (im not going to do it for you since Im not so anal as to need a number for my punching power) and calculate your power yourself.

/thread
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #48
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I saw your posts mate, thanks very much... will try that,,,, cheers Bodi and puglist and anyone else who made a non-retarded contribution.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #49
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Hi mate I appreciate the reply, please note its a question that I asked- not a statement. I don't know the answer thats why i'm asking for alternatives and pro's and cons.... I understand that its practically impossible to measure the force produced by the body at point of impact but i'm trying to find something that might give me an indication of improvement. Something that the thick cunt above can't understand.
If you were half as intelligent as you claim you are then you would of never asked that question. Seriously it is one of the stupidest things i've heard on here and that's quite an achievement, hence my congratulations. The real icing on the cake is the fact that you are acting like i've said something stupid and that i'm the dummy here . Seriously you've given me a good laugh and I appreciate it.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #50
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
It was a silly question anyway, but still interested in a reply. Yours aswell
It could be beneficial for your strength if you make sure you do it rarely and compliment it with some more sports specific movement, the problem with a shot put is that it is too heavy so you'll be activating muscle fibres that aren't required when throwing a punch. The key to to any fast, powerful movement is coordination and efficiency so hitting the pads, bags and sparring partners with balance and good technique are the best ways of getting your punching power up.

That's not a silly question at all because throwing a shotput isn't really that different from throwing a punch, atleast it's alot closer to it than lying on your back and pushing a weight in the air
lefty is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #51
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Our sensors measure the overall power of an impact against a target in g forces. Herman doubles the g force to calculate the score.
Thats so sick. I can't say i wouldn't buy something like that.
Those pads were better than the bag, i wonder if scrap has stuff like this.

Quantifying your power is important for measuring progress and gathering reliable intell on results. These things also measure speed hit aswell as number of contacts, Calzaghes gym has one of these. On his undefeated dvd it shows him hitting it 1500 times in a round(there abouts).

I can see why Jeff made this thread.

I'm not big on the light medicine ball throw. It doesn't measure the nature of power, it'll measure the speed in power more than the strength.

I believe the power should be recorded in the contact.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 02-26-2010 at 09:01 PM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #52
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post

Our sensors measure the overall power of an impact against a target in g forces. Herman doubles the g force to calculate the score.
that site has some great stuff
Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #53
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
If you were half as intelligent as you claim you are then you would of never asked that question. Seriously it is one of the stupidest things i've heard on here and that's quite an achievement, hence my congratulations. The real icing on the cake is the fact that you are acting like i've said something stupid and that i'm the dummy here . Seriously you've given me a good laugh and I appreciate it.
Thanks mate i'm glad I gave you a laugh, I hope you laughed as heartily as I did when I read these posts by a supposed qualified Sports Scientist.... ha ha ha

Peaking
Quote:
Just a question, is it possible to stay in peak condition all year round all do you need to go in cycles to stay fresh? You hear talk about fighters peaking too soon, what does that really mean?
- so your a sports scientist who struggles with the concept of peaking? Oh deary me.... I'd be interested inseeing your certificate.

Weight Lifting Methods and Body Type

Quote:
I've recently started weight-training, i would just like to know how the soviet boxers lift weights and how i should be lifting to get strength gains without adding mass, at first i was doing 10-15 reps at about 60% of my max, lately i've been doing 3-4 reps at well above my body weight (so close to my max), what would be best for me? i have a small long frame but i'm a fast twitch athlete as i'm muscled up and a good sprinter, i don't know what body type i'd be classified as. I only bench and do squats
So your a sports scientist who doesn't understand methods of gaining strength and not size- Impressive stuff.

Mosley Vs Margarito Prediction

Quote:
Mosley is shot, Margs by 4th round KO
So you know **** all about boxing too

Re: Timetravel

Quote:
Absolutely, i think it is possible now and always has been, time isn't a set thing as most people believe.
- retard.... Why don't you travel back to the start of your degree and listen instead of daydreaming about Micheal J Fox

Roy Jones' Skill

Quote:
Your opinion is shit. Roy Jones more skilled than James Toney? Not in a million years, his skill level is comparable to the guy in your avatar, all Jones really had was speed. If what you meant by not in their ballpark was that Toney was on a much higher level then i apologise and agree.
Yeah he had no skills- just speed.

Re Streching

Quote:
Stretching is a waste of time when you are about to do something, it actually tears muscles leaving you more uncoordinated and you will be more sore next time. Warm up by mimicking the motions you are about to do. Warming down won't help with post workout soreness though, thats a myth. Stretching is good for flexibility, do it when you wake up and go to sleep if you must do it.
... Thanks Sports Scientist..... Let me guess you don't actually work anywhere near a gym do you? You are hilariously retarded. Thanks for making my last 30 mins of trawling your posts so rewarding..
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #54
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

the above is quite possibly the greatest post i have ever read

btw pugilist your second exercise the barbell punches are a great measurement of punch power and a great exercise - my favourite weight lifting exercise
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #55
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post

btw pugilist your second exercise the barbell punches are a great measurement of punch power and a great exercise - my favourite weight lifting exercise
Thank you...

I found the first one and then more and more came up- I left a lot out, the guys got about as much of a degree in Sports Science as I have in Delia Smith Cooking.

Honestly... ****ing time travel...
Old 02-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #56
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

/ thread
Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #57
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post

x2 the bolded and underlined part ROFLMAO, good job bomber!

and thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #58
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

poor lefty.

Above- Remember measuring power and developing it are 2 differant things.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #59
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2863

Quote:
Thanks mate i'm glad I gave you a laugh, I hope you laughed as heartily as I did when I read these posts by a supposed qualified Sports Scientist.... ha ha ha

Peaking
- so your a sports scientist who struggles with the concept of peaking? Oh deary me.... I'd be interested inseeing your certificate.

So your a sports scientist who doesn't understand methods of gaining strength and not size- Impressive stuff.

- retard.... Why don't you travel back to the start of your degree and listen instead of daydreaming about Micheal J Fox

Roy Jones' Skill

Re Streching

... Thanks Sports Scientist..... Let me guess you don't actually work anywhere near a gym do you? You are hilariously retarded. Thanks for making my last 30 mins of trawling your posts so rewarding..
u just Fed him in the A
tony mush is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #60
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Peaking

Roy Jones' Skill

Re Streching

Look at the dates of the posts you quoted, I haven't completed my degree and I never said I did, I'm doing it at the moment. Obviously you start with the fundamentals in anatomy, physiology, social programming etc. You know, learning the terminology and the framework before moving onto the more interesting things that I hadn't had a chance to look into at the time of the posts you've quoted, my questions there were legitimate questions, I didn't ask anything stupid like 'Is 1RM of a bench press a good indicator of punching power?' or anything ridiculous like that did I? My advice on stretching there is spot on, I got the fight prediction wrong so I'm obviously not psychic, Quantum theory says that it is possible to travel into the future but not into the past and I stand by what I said about Roy Jones, he is obviously a very skilled boxer however compared to James Toney his skills are poor.

I love the fact that I upset you so much that you felt like you had to look into my posts from the past, I come on this site to talk shit basically, I could imagine it'd be a hard life if you took this site and it's ramblings as seriously as you obviously do.
lefty is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing