Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
lefthook82
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Put on the scrapheap after one loss

I was thinking about this after betting on the Ponce De Leon/ Orlando Cruz

Cruz lost his unbeaten record in his last fight, where he was 'upset' against Cornelius Lock, being knocked out

Instead of giving him a confidence booster, his next match is against Ponce De Leon, a Southpaw knock out artist. He gets taken out in 3

Can you think of any other exampls of this?
lefthook82 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172
Default Re: Put on the scrapheap after one loss

Believe it or not, Audley Harrison.

Harrison lost a close fight to Williams and instead of taking a fight against an imported Latvian, as many would of done, he chose Dominic Guinn. I know Guinn's career hasn't panned out as many would have thought, but it was still a tough "comeback" fight as his loss shows.
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Pele Reid. Was highly touted, got stopped by Julius Francis then in his next fight he is thrown in against fringe world level opponent Orlin Norris.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Adolpho Poncho Sanchez..... one of the best mexicans i've ever seen.... beautiful technician- lost to Micky Ward then fell to pieces.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I don't think its putting him on the scrapheap. Seperates the good fighters from the average. Basically if you're naturally bigger and can't outmanouver Ponce De Leon you ain't worth a 3rd chance IMO.

People thinking this is harsh is just showing how resumes are 'built' nowadays rather than earned.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

cruz was never going to be anyhting more than a gatekeeper
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
I don't think its putting him on the scrapheap. Seperates the good fighters from the average. Basically if you're naturally bigger and can't outmanouver Ponce De Leon you ain't worth a 3rd chance IMO.

People thinking this is harsh is just showing how resumes are 'built' nowadays rather than earned.
Good point... Gomez lost 8-9 times still had a pretty brilliant career.... someone like paul burke, three time commonwealth champion.... just because your not world class doesn't mean you can't have a good career.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 110

I think its a product of the modern era of everyone trying to maintain their 0. Its sad how much losing a fight can wreck a fighters career these days. Almost every great fighter has lost a few, whereas these days if you lose a couple you are fade away.

Its such a bad situation for the sport to be in, as obviously it leads to less great fights being made. Although I thought it was a bit whiny, you could see how hurt Malignagi was with the somewhat dubious decision he got at the hands of Diaz. He said it in the interview that once you have too many losses racked up, your earning potential is ruined, regardless of whether or not they are justified.

A fighters only way to stay in the picture after a loss is to jump straight back in against a top opponent. If you take a couple of easier ones, someone else with their 0 in tact will take all the media hype.

I think Katsidis actually managed it quite well (although obviously he has a style that's good to watch for even non-hardcore fans). He had that tough loss against Casa when it looked like he was going to take the win from behind then jumped straight in against Diaz with a new style and lost again. A quick tune-up to get some confidence back, then straight in against Chavez and Escobedo. 2 great wins and then back up to a top level guy in the division.

It's something you can say for Khan, he is very well managed: After the crushing loss to Prescott, theyve got him in with credible opponents,although ones that didnt present much of a danger, they at least appeared to be. (Although I was obviously pretty upset with the treatment Barrera received).
Sai is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
lefthook82
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Fair enough @ fleaman. You make a valid point
lefthook82 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum