Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #16
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Punchers are born not made?

I punched my way outta a womb and never looked back! (w/e that means)
Youngblood is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #17
Arka

Well clearly there is a genetic component.

Fast twitch muscle fibre,high muscle insertions,compact joints and a skeletal structure with slender hips,long shin bones and broad shoulders, all help.

Things like conditioning and punching technique have to be developed though.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
I punched my way outta a womb and never looked back! (w/e that means)
^^ that was a joke btw. well kinda.

I do agree some people just have raw power. Raw natural power that can't be taught. But also, there are other things, like reflexes and great anticipation that may hereditary. Other natural athleticisms people were fortunate enough to win the genetic lottery on.

But any of those not matched with lots of training means nothing. Lots of training and none of those means mediocrity at best. So the short of my point is, it takes a combination of both to make a fighter world class. One without the other, and add in the right psychology to, a person who is driven to train and work hard, any of those things missing will be a tough go making it to the top.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #19
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby johnson View Post
I've heard this said by Tyson (who said Cus D'Amato thought so, too) and Roach and others, why do you think it is so?

Are they merely referring to physical strength? The explosivness and brute strenght of guys like Mike and Abraham?
I believe that devastating punchers are born not made, but anyone can be taught to punch harder.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post

Fast twitch muscle fibre,high muscle insertions,compact joints and a skeletal structure with slender hips,long shin bones and broad shoulders, all help.

Yeah Tito is a classic example. People still wonder how in the hell he hit so hard. Sure much of it is genetic, but much of it is also that he threw a perfect left hook.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

punchers are born but one can develop a knockout punch. with the right strength training and right punching technique, you can have a knockout punch.

the guys who have it naturally are usually very heavy handed whereas the fighters who develop their punch through strength training and technique usually have more speed/pop to there punches. personally i'd rather get hit by a guy with heavy hands than someone with a really explosive pop....i think.
Big N Bad is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #22
Richy.r
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1219

People can jump further with practice, jump higher with practice, throw things further, throw things higher, run faster, swim faster, cycle faster, so why cant people punch harder with practice ?
Richy.r is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #23
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy.r View Post
People can jump further with practice, jump higher with practice, throw things further, throw things higher, run faster, swim faster, cycle faster, so why cant people punch harder with practice ?

Agreed.
I increased my vertical jump from 23 inches to 33 inches in just about 5 months.
IMO we just don't have enough knowledge on increasing punching power or more specifically punching speed.
For hops it's pretty basic. Work heavy weights for legs + plyometrics... don't know if the same would work for punches.
Scorpion is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #24
Richy.r
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Agreed.
I increased my vertical jump from 23 inches to 33 inches in just about 5 months.
IMO we just don't have enough knowledge on increasing punching power or more specifically punching speed.
For hops it's pretty basic. Work heavy weights for legs + plyometrics... don't know if the same would work for punches.

People learn to hit golf balls or baseballs further and harder over time when they wouldent have been able to when they first started it takes practice and good technique same with punching power in my opinion, vertical jumping is using explosive movement aswell just like punching.

And obviously some people will be able to punch harder than others naturally but any one can improve the power of a punch.

people can say what they like its just my opinion.
Richy.r is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #25
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy.r View Post
People learn to hit golf balls or baseballs further and harder over time when they wouldent have been able to when they first started it takes practice and good technique same with punching power in my opinion, vertical jumping is using explosive movement aswell just like punching.

And obviously some people will be able to punch harder than others naturally but any one can improve the power of a punch.

people can say what they like its just my opinion.

I agree there will be people that have a natural aptitude for anything, baseball and golf are good examples, but everyone improves hitting further and more accurate in these sports and no one really thinks about it as much. The nature of boxing and indeed hard punchers gives it a mystical quality but really its science and its the same as any other sport. But ye i agree im sure theres people who are naturally better. But by working hard anyone can improve and natural punchers can become even more devastating.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #26
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N Bad View Post
punchers are born but one can develop a knockout punch. with the right strength training and right punching technique, you can have a knockout punch.

the guys who have it naturally are usually very heavy handed whereas the fighters who develop their punch through strength training and technique usually have more speed/pop to there punches. personally i'd rather get hit by a guy with heavy hands than someone with a really explosive pop....i think.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #27
light-welter
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Explosive muscle fibre is hereditery.... You can really see the difference in some kids.
True, so in a way punchers are born. Explosive muscle fibre (myosin) can also be expanded through training, which increases power, so punchers can be also made.
light-welter is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #28
cockneyhardman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post

i agree especially with what i put in bold

when it comes to punching speed and power fast twitch fibres does not have the impact that is generally thought

the reason being that no high external resistance is being moved, as with olympic lifts and shot put throwing

the abilities to move quickly without resistance is unrelated to the ability to do the same while moving a mass
cockneyhardman is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #29
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its the relationship between the Ears, Coxxys and the Bigtoe where the answer lies.
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing