Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #31
bushboy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Supplements

From my experiences with training I can offer..

You need a good diet before you can do anything, your body will not respond well to heavy excercise if your not putting the right fuel in the tank.

Plenty of eggs,chicken breast, wholemeal bread and pasta, fish (if its available), and at least 5 serves of vegies a day, a bit of red meat to keep the iron levels up helps as well.
What I found with my training was I was taking a fair while to recover from a boxing workout (this might just be my body, not sure how u recover) so I got my hands on some nice basic whey protein concentrate and had a protein shake as soon as I finished training, this gave me 20 or 30 grams of protein which was absorbed to my muscles quickly and fixed all my recovery issues.

The main thing with supps is to avoid all the bullshit marketing they throw at you, assess a product on its merits and see if you actually NEED it, if you dont need it, dont take it.

A lot of pre-workout mixes are just very heavily loaded with glucose and caffeine, if you need these to boost you pre-workout you can purchase both quite cheaply from woolies or coles (glucodin and no-doz) instead of buying it under the name POWERBOOST 4000 from a health food shop and paying $4 a serve.

Dont buy protein mixes that profess to be "slow release" this is where the healthy diet component comes in, these foods release slowly into your system by digestion, the point of a protein shake is to give you protein which can be absorbed quickly.

Keep it simple
bushboy is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #32
kflex101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangman View Post
Haha! Im actually one of your customers, thought it may have been you after you said you owned 2 companies (im also a member on the SM forums). I can vouch for the bulk nutrients products, im using them now, they are much cheaper then the US and other Aussie companies.

Hahaha, that is cool! I knew there was a few guys on there who were into boxing, nice to see you are a Katsidis fan too. We'll have to start a few threads over there about boxing.
Do you get to many fights?
Based where I am it's a bit tricky for us, but I made it up to Mundine vs Geale in QLd some time back. Should be headfing over to Perth for Green vs Siaca as m timing that one with a business trip.

Cheers for the props on Bulk Nutrients too.
kflex101 is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #33
kflex101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
From my experiences with training I can offer..

You need a good diet before you can do anything, your body will not respond well to heavy excercise if your not putting the right fuel in the tank.

Plenty of eggs,chicken breast, wholemeal bread and pasta, fish (if its available), and at least 5 serves of vegies a day, a bit of red meat to keep the iron levels up helps as well.
What I found with my training was I was taking a fair while to recover from a boxing workout (this might just be my body, not sure how u recover) so I got my hands on some nice basic whey protein concentrate and had a protein shake as soon as I finished training, this gave me 20 or 30 grams of protein which was absorbed to my muscles quickly and fixed all my recovery issues.

The main thing with supps is to avoid all the bullshit marketing they throw at you, assess a product on its merits and see if you actually NEED it, if you dont need it, dont take it.

A lot of pre-workout mixes are just very heavily loaded with glucose and caffeine, if you need these to boost you pre-workout you can purchase both quite cheaply from woolies or coles (glucodin and no-doz) instead of buying it under the name POWERBOOST 4000 from a health food shop and paying $4 a serve.

Dont buy protein mixes that profess to be "slow release" this is where the healthy diet component comes in, these foods release slowly into your system by digestion, the point of a protein shake is to give you protein which can be absorbed quickly.

Keep it simple
Great info Bushboy, you sound like one of our customers too, lol. Sifting through the crap, finding good, simple products that work and forgetting about all the bullshit gimmicks. Pre workout supps are an unfortunate example of that, lots of caffeine, lots of carbs but they charge massive premiums.

Out of interest, how did you develop that kind of thinking? Definitely not from reading muscle magazines, that's for sure!
kflex101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #34
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Sure hes not one of your salesguys?
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 AM   #35
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonMcS View Post
That's what I thought.
And people can now see what I mean about agendas.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 AM   #36
kflex101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
No, but you are supposed to be.
Don't tell me you have forgotten the damn script again....
kflex101 is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #37
kflex101
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
That's what I thought.
And people can now see what I mean about agendas.
Mate, check out how long I have been a member. Well over 5 years, you think I have been hanging around all the time waiting for an opportunity to make a sale?
I am a boxing fan first and foremost which is why I have never once brought up my business over here. In this situation, particularly when people are offering more expensive alternatives and I obviously have a bit of experience in the industry, it makes sense that I offer some advice.

From my posts it should be obvious too that I am all about getting diet and training right before using anything that may well be unnecessary.
kflex101 is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #38
ranser
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflex101 View Post
Mate, check out how long I have been a member. Well over 5 years, you think I have been hanging around all the time waiting for an opportunity to make a sale?
I am a boxing fan first and foremost which is why I have never once brought up my business over here. In this situation, particularly when people are offering more expensive alternatives and I obviously have a bit of experience in the industry, it makes sense that I offer some advice.

From my posts it should be obvious too that I am all about getting diet and training right before using anything that may well be unnecessary.
give the guy a break..
he's just trying to make a living..
ranser is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #39
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

I..use...and...inject...um...eat...Kflexs...supple...super...supper...products...all...the...time... and...he...reckons...er...I...reckon...they're...really...good...and...his...endorsement...cheque... did...not...sway...his...my...personal...opinion...at...all.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #40
Sox
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflex101 View Post

They are always unnecessary if you follow a good diet, which should be first and foremost to anyone serious about their preferred sport.
Ask any nutritionist, trainer, coach, etc, who doesn't have shares in a supplement company and you'll get the truth.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #41
Sox
East Side Guru

Quote:
I..use...and...inject...um...eat...Kflexs...supple...super...supper...products...all...the...time... and...he...reckons...er...I...reckon...they're...really...good...and...his...endorsement...cheque... did...not...sway...his...my...personal...opinion...at...all.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 03:11 AM   #42
wangman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

I love how you boys take the piss on this site. Im not biting.
wangman is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #43
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangman View Post
I love how you boys take the piss on this site. Im not biting.

Talking about piss....I wonder if anybody can help with this one????

its widely known that when you have more than a few drinks you will put on weight.

However I drink low carb beer and a few wines....and have in general a low carb eating plan....when I drink a few (say 10 beers) if I eat well I don't put on any weight.

If I eat crap or carbie food and drink I put on weight.

When I drink I also have about the same amount in water as well.

Is it possible my water intake is not enough and in fact I have put on weight and lost water but don't notice it on the scales?
ashley is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 03:29 AM   #44
Sox
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Talking about piss....I wonder if anybody can help with this one????

its widely known that when you have more than a few drinks you will put on weight.
Well, not really.
The only time we put on weight is if we consume more than we expend.
It matters not what that 'consumption' is.
Quote:
However I drink low carb beer and a few wines....and have in general a low carb eating plan....when I drink a few (say 10 beers) if I eat well I don't put on any weight.

If I eat crap or carbie food and drink I put on weight.

When I drink I also have about the same amount in water as well.

Is it possible my water intake is not enough and in fact I have put on weight and lost water but don't notice it on the scales?
When you're eating crap food, you caloric intake is greater than what you're expending.
Piece of piss.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #45
wangman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Sox is right, Its about your diet having a calorie deficit. If you have a low carb diet its less energy to burn. If you eat shit food high in carbs and calories its more energy to burn off, and if you do not burn it off, it is stored as fat. That is why you see many low carb diets these days, less energy you need to burn, but the thing is unless your keen on staying on a low carb diet your whole life, your body will rebound and youll gain all the weight, if not more so back.
wangman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing