Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default video of me on the heavy bag- constructive criticism welcome

What's up ESB,

I've been self-training for the the past 6 months, and finally decided to put up a video of myself working the heavy bag. I've never been to a boxing gym or worked with a trainer so everything I've learned was from watching film, reading books and message boards, and asking tonnes of questions on this forum.

Certain aspects that I'm trying to improve on are my speed, fluidity, footwork and punch combinations. I also notice that my right heel does not completely touch the ground when throwing the left hook, but that may be because I'm boxing on carpet with bare feet (I don't think I have that problem on solid flooring). So if you can please watch both videos, and provide any constructive criticism, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohUmIynlvU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUUhbI0sQus[/ame]
wordisbond is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: video of me on the heavy bag- constructive criticism welcome

when you dip come back with a shot, the point of dipping is really to counter so dip then come back with a combo, same as when you roll, you rolled then smile at your opponent, bad idea if you roll more than likely your opponent will keep throwing and will catch you after you roll

pretend the bag is going to hit you back, stand at more of a range, keep your guard higher and move on your feet more (i know your space is slightly restricted), vary your combos they all seem to revolve around the jab cross hook, work more on your hand speed it seems lacking

you aint dipping at your knees enough when throwing the straight right to the body, throw it so your arm is parallel to the floor not throwing it downward, this extra dip down will avoid shots to your head

buy a pair of trainers

turn your camera up the right way my neck is sore now

edit

btw for someone who has taught themselves you are doing ok, go join a boxing club though it will be the best thing you will ever do, you might look ok hitting the bag but trying putting that into practise ina ring will take a long time trust me, good coaching is far better than learning from videos and stuff, approach your new coach and say you want to compete and want a little bit of time dedicated to you otherwise the coach might just do nothing with you then you get ****ed off and leave
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
VanillaKilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Buy a new bag... That one is pretty useless...

You will never have somone who just stands in front of you taking your punches... Get a bag were you can move 360 degrees around it and it has to have enough room to flail around after you hit it.

This is what teaches you range,footwork, and timing.....

Your punches actually look to have decent technique. But you have no fluidity. Your just throwing those combos and punches out in a predetermined rythem that dosent change, like ever.... Thats an easy way to get counter the **** koed.. lol. You to change your rythem, your distance, angles when you throw punches.

Also, with headmovment... at times you moved your head with your hands low and honestly.... it looked like you were doing it for the **** of it, which will get you knocked out...

After a slip,duck, either another evasive manuever/a punch/ get out of range.... Standing in range slipping shots lol, wtf? are you james toney or prince hamed?

All said tho, you are much better then others i have seen on the web... At least you know how to throw punches, but landing them is alot harder
VanillaKilla is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I've already worked on improving much of my shortcomings. Unfortunately I don't have the space available to hang a bag from the ceiling so I'm pretty much stuck with this stationary bag for the next while.

Last week I visited a boxing gym for the first time (free tryout session), and after seeing me workout the trainer said he was very impressed with the fact that I was self-coached. He even me to consider training to fight competitively. I explained to him that I wouldn't be able to do so because I have an eye condition that would restrict me from taking shots in the eye region. So what I'm basically trying to do is (I know you guys dread this) box for FITNESS. Personally, I'm trying not to have my condition prevent me from learning the sport I love, and hope you guys will continue to provide me with advice on how to improve. My hope is one day being able to teach my sons and nephews the sweet science, so I could live my dreams vicariously through them.
wordisbond is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordisbond View Post
Thanks so much for the advice guys. I've already worked on improving much of my shortcomings. Unfortunately I don't have the space available to hang a bag from the ceiling so I'm pretty much stuck with this stationary bag for the next while.

Last week I visited a boxing gym for the first time (free tryout session), and after seeing me workout the trainer said he was very impressed with the fact that I was self-coached. He even me to consider training to fight competitively. I explained to him that I wouldn't be able to do so because I have an eye condition that would restrict me from taking shots in the eye region. So what I'm basically trying to do is (I know you guys dread this) box for FITNESS. Personally, I'm trying not to have my condition prevent me from learning the sport I love, and hope you guys will continue to provide me with advice on how to improve. My hope is one day being able to teach my sons and nephews the sweet science, so I could live my dreams vicariously through them.

I respect the part about boxing for fitness. I am a personal trainer, and I use various boxing techniques in my training sessions. Needless to say, the results speak for themselves. I also plan to get my son involved in boxing as soon as he is of age.
Don't Sleep is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing