Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
The_Real_Deal
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Is weight training damaging to a still developing body?

Say about 14-15 years old.
The_Real_Deal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
CharlieGarbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Is weight training damaging to a still developing body?

I'm not sure, but around 15 years old was when I first started training, and I trained hard 5 times a week. I was massive by the end of school, but I swear to god I havn't grown since, I'm 18 now.

I very much doubt thats because of working out while still developing muscle, it's probably just the way I've grown.
CharlieGarbs is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

no.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It can damage the epiphyseal lines (growth plates) but thats only if you go too heavy. Keep the reps above 10 to be on the safe side, you'll be fine.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

15 is generally accepted as a good time to start as long as you aren't going too hardcore.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
VanillaKilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Try to stay away from real strength training....

Bodyweight excercises would be perfect... But if you must, some curls, ect for athstethics shouldnt be bad unless you do some kind of crazy weight...

I would hold off on military press, rows, heavy bench, dead lifts until you are 18.
VanillaKilla is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilistStudent View Post
It can damage the epiphyseal lines (growth plates) but thats only if you go too heavy. Keep the reps above 10 to be on the safe side, you'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
15 is generally accepted as a good time to start as long as you aren't going too hardcore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaKilla View Post
Try to stay away from real strength training....

Bodyweight excercises would be perfect... But if you must, some curls, ect for athstethics shouldnt be bad unless you do some kind of crazy weight...

I would hold off on military press, rows, heavy bench, dead lifts until you are 18.
all ridiculous bullshit.

go on tmuscle.com and ask this question, you'll get the right answers.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

thats only if you are doing like insane squats or something. But I really doubt someone is going to do enough to stunt their growth, I think its a myth.

I think its an excellent idea to start young just make sure they use good technique, a lot of the people especially the younger ones in highschool weight lifting class liked to goof off and used poor technique. And yeah we had 14-15 year olds in there and I am sure most junior varsity foot ball players lift weights when they are 14-15. If lifting at that age really stunted your growth all the NFL players would be 5'-6'' and that clearly isnt the case
elTerrible is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
all ridiculous bullshit.

Could you post a summary here? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just too lazy to look it up on there myself. I've got cousins that age lifting and I don't want them to be ****ing themselves up if it's not safe...
Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Could you post a summary here? I'm not disagreeing, I'm just too lazy to look it up on there myself. I've got cousins that age lifting and I don't want them to be ****ing themselves up if it's not safe...
i really dont have the time or energy to get into it right now but in short....

it has never been proven to have any effect on growth plates and many pro lifters have been lifting heavy from very young ages, such as arny (13).

now if we're talking about roids then thats a different story.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oh alright, i thought you were going to say it's a bad thing. Good news.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
VanillaKilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
i really dont have the time or energy to get into it right now but in short....

it has never been proven to have any effect on growth plates and many pro lifters have been lifting heavy from very young ages, such as arny (13).

now if we're talking about roids then thats a different story.
I personally dont beleive that teens have enough discipline/coordination to do power lifting with safe weight and proper technique unless being supervised by a coach. There are exceptions.....
VanillaKilla is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
The_Real_Deal
Journeyman

I'm 31 now, I'm only asking this question out of curiosity. When I was 14-15 I got hold of this book called "Muscle Dynamics" and I used the training routines for a while, high weight, low reps and constantly training to failure. I have had problems with my muscles and joints down the years and was just wondering if it was caused by the weight training I did when I was younger. Makes no difference now whether it did affect me or not, just curious.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
all ridiculous bullshit.

Go read a book and try not to attempt to discredit the guy that is getting his CSEP-CPT+CED (canadian society of exercise physiology-certified personal trainer+certified exercise physiologist) which is a 4 year university course...not some shitty 1 week certification. If I come off as a bit ****y and a little ignorant Im sorry, I just take offense to people saying what I say is ridiculous bullshit and for better advice to consult muscle heads that read mens health...

When you lift heavy weights (or even distance running) you can cause tiny stress fractures in your bones...ok...these fractures can cross the ephiphyseal plate (growth plate). Your ephiphyseal plate is comprised of cartilage that is always getting calcified/hardened (turned to bone) and is always being renewed from the innermost part of the plate outward (all your bones start off as cartilage). If any fractures or breaks cross the epiphyseal plate the cartilage there will calcify and harden, a part of the plate that completely hardens will no longer create new cartilage there, and so theres no new cartilage to be turned into new bone which will alter how the bones grow. Hers a picture so you can better understand:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Im sure you can imagine the bones getting longer from the plate outwards fairly easily. Now, you can also damage the periosteum that wraps around it. This also creates new bone but instead of making it longer it makes it thicker. As this happens the medullary cavity (called the marrow cavity in this picture) is "hollowed out" in a sense...this doesnt really matter I just kinda got on a roll. Anyways if you damage the periosteum through fractures as well (getting hit with a hard object on the shin would be the easiest way) youd notice a difference in shape over time.

With either scenario the affects will be greatest of the damage occurs at an earlier age (like before a growth spurt) so the bone will always grow a bit "off".

Your all lucky I accidentally deleted my last post, this one is shorter and explained better lol.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
The_Real_Deal
Journeyman

I ****ed the growth joint in my left knee playing football when I was about 14, I was in plaster for 6 weeks, doctor said they had to fix it right or I would end up with one leg shorter than the other.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing