boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #16
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default Re: Is weight training damaging to a still developing body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilistStudent View Post
Go read a book and try not to attempt to discredit the guy that is getting his CSEP-CPT+CED (canadian society of exercise physiology-certified personal trainer+certified exercise physiologist) which is a 4 year university course...not some ****ty 1 week certification. If I come off as a bit ****y and a little ignorant Im sorry, I just take offense to people saying what I say is ridiculous bull**** and for better advice to consult muscle heads that read mens health...

When you lift heavy weights (or even distance running) you can cause tiny stress fractures in your bones...ok...these fractures can cross the ephiphyseal plate (growth plate). Your ephiphyseal plate is comprised of cartilage that is always getting calcified/hardened (turned to bone) and is always being renewed from the innermost part of the plate outward (all your bones start off as cartilage). If any fractures or breaks cross the epiphyseal plate the cartilage there will calcify and harden, a part of the plate that completely hardens will no longer create new cartilage there, and so theres no new cartilage to be turned into new bone which will alter how the bones grow. Hers a picture so you can better understand:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Im sure you can imagine the bones getting longer from the plate outwards fairly easily. Now, you can also damage the periosteum that wraps around it. This also creates new bone but instead of making it longer it makes it thicker. As this happens the medullary cavity (called the marrow cavity in this picture) is "hollowed out" in a sense...this doesnt really matter I just kinda got on a roll. Anyways if you damage the periosteum through fractures as well (getting hit with a hard object on the shin would be the easiest way) youd notice a difference in shape over time.

With either scenario the affects will be greatest of the damage occurs at an earlier age (like before a growth spurt) so the bone will always grow a bit "off".

Your all lucky I accidentally deleted my last post, this one is shorter and explained better lol.
what a load of ****.

you used words such as ephiphyseal plate to scare me, sorry not gonna work.
Relentless is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #17
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Old 02-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #18
J.R.
No Mames Guey
East Side Guru

vCash: 107

Meh... I've been weight training since age 12 and if you start training that early you hear all the stories of how you'll stunt your growth and blah, blah, blah Seems like a bunch of BS to me to tell you the truth.

I'm 5'9" as an adult same as my brother who never really weight trained... so you take that into account and I think weight training had little to no effect on my growth.

My conclusion: It's just a myth.
J.R. is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
The_Real_Deal
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Leaving bones and growth out of it for a minute, can training to failure actually damage the still growing muscle?
The_Real_Deal is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

I did a lot of press ups, pull ups and sit ups when I was 14-15. Mostly because I was unwilling to spend the little money I had on weighs
Squire is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #21
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Meh... I've been weight training since age 12 and if you start training that early you hear all the stories of how you'll stunt your growth and blah, blah, blah Seems like a bunch of BS to me to tell you the truth.

I'm 5'9" as an adult same as my brother who never really weight trained... so you take that into account and I think weight training had little to no effect on my growth.

that other guy is an idiot, he never even provided one fact or any scientific evidence, all he done was state his opinion using words he thought he could fool us with.

his opinion = [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

To be fair i always heard that weight training when still developing was bad. However reading this maybe not so. However i would say the kids i see in my gym lifting weights and doing it with bad form and well..wrong for want of a better word that has gotta be doing damage!!!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

lol relentless, ok whatever. Believe what you like, and pictures of kids lifting weights isnt proof that it cant damage your epiphyseal plates (sorry not trying to scare you but thats the name for it genius, I tried not to insult your intelligence by dumbing it down). The fact that some people have done it without causing damage or at least visible damage isnt proof either, just like having a license to drive a car doesnt guarantee you wont eventually get into an accident, it happens from time to time. I know Im right because Im backed by science.

Believe what you like but if you cant back yourself up like I did with facts or at least an intelligent paragraph or two without just scoffing and saying "duh that guys an idiot" then maybe you should just be quiet (for the benefit of people everywhere).

Everyone else here posted something thats at least intelligent. You should try it sometime.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
lol relentless, ok whatever. Believe what you like, and pictures of kids lifting weights isnt proof that it cant damage your epiphyseal plates (sorry not trying to scare you but thats the name for it genius, I tried not to insult your intelligence by dumbing it down). The fact that some people have done it without causing damage or at least visible damage isnt proof either, just like having a license to drive a car doesnt guarantee you wont eventually get into an accident, it happens from time to time. I know Im right because Im backed by science.

Believe what you like but if you cant back yourself up like I did with facts or at least an intelligent paragraph or two without just scoffing and saying "duh that guys an idiot" then maybe you should just be quiet (for the benefit of people everywhere).

Everyone else here posted something thats at least intelligent. You should try it sometime.
you still have not posted any kind of research or studies, you're just stating your opinion.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #25
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:

which part of it was fact?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #26
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #27
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

15 isn't a bad age, but for the younger kids yes it can hurt their bodies
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post

5 foot 9 is small dude
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #29
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
5 foot 9 is small dude
not for a mexican.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #30
tri-pod
Balls
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
5 foot 9 is small dude

Its around average. Believe it or not most people are not 6 ft. 9 with 12 inch ****s contrary to what ESB averages out to.
tri-pod is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing