Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Increasing punching power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
you mean the transverse abdominus yeah???
transverse abdominus - not strictly, no, but inclusively, yes.

It is unwise to focus on individual muscle groups for an athletic endeavor unless you have a specific deficiency in that area. When I say posterior chain, I mean things like the Throcolumbar fasci, Lumbar trigone, Illiopsoas, Illiacus, pirifomis Gluteus medius, Gluteal fascia, Gluteus maximus, Tensor fascia lata, Semitendinosus, Semimembranosus, Biceps femoris, Sartorius, Gastrocnemius lateral and medial heads... and a few more, but I really can't be arsed typing any more out. In layman's terms, your pc is from your lower back to your calves (inclusively).
Bodi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #17
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Improve your technique, always turn your punches over, keep those elbows in tight, and shorten everything.
elmaldito is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #18
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tensor Fasciae Latae, everything works of it, probably The one single muscle Tendon in the Hip and leg that isnt stretched, as much as it should be, a wonderfull bit of creation
scrap is online now  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Tensor Fasciae Latae, everything works of it, probably The one single muscle Tendon in the Hip and leg that isnt stretched, as much as it should be, a wonderfull bit of creation

have to google that one lol
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #20
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post

It is unwise to focus on individual muscle groups for an athletic endeavor unless you have a specific deficiency in that area. When I say posterior chain, I mean things like the Throcolumbar fasci, Lumbar trigone, Illiopsoas, Illiacus, pirifomis Gluteus medius, Gluteal fascia, Gluteus maximus, Tensor fascia lata, Semitendinosus, Semimembranosus, Biceps femoris, Sartorius, Gastrocnemius lateral and medial heads... and a few more, but I really can't be arsed typing any more out. In layman's terms, your pc is from your lower back to your calves (inclusively).
sweet, just never heard the term before
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
Jackdoyle90
Journeyman

Quote:

Iliacus is part of Iliopsoas, iliopsoas consits of iliacus and psoas major. Piriformis isn't woth mentioning tbh.

Biceps femoris is a knee flexor and so does not contibute to punching power.

Did you just google leg muscles or something?

Good work apart from that though!
Jackdoyle90 is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #22
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ok, excuse me for a moment, but I was responding to a question regarding the muscles that are considered parts of the posterior chain, which I have listed above - at no point did I mention specifically that developing the Biceps femoris (individually) would carry over to increased punching power - I did however suggest that developing the posterior chain (which I consider the Biceps femoris to be a part of) would increase punching power. If you think that developing the posterior chain doesn't contribute to not only punching power, but all round mobility, explosiveness and injury prevention, then quite frankly, you are mistaken. Like I also suggested, it is unwise to focus on individual muscles unless there is a specific reason for doing so, so to exclude things like the Biceps femoris, Piriformus etc from your training regime would be difficult. Are you also suggesting that training (stretching) the Piriformus doesn't benefit athletic ability?

Edit - you got me on the Iliopsoas... well done you...

Last edited by Bodi; 03-03-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: I forgot to add:
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Oh my god... get me out of this thread - ha ha ....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #24
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Oh my god... get me out of this thread - ha ha ....
im sorry i ever asked, although i am thankful for the answer bodi
Old 03-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #25
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No probs slayer - look at it like this - if you want your body to work efficiently and effectively, everything has to be in balance. If you have never heard of the posterior chain, you probably haven't trained it properly, and that will hold your performance back in a massive way. If you start training your pc properly, you will see dramatic results very quickly.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #26
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
No probs slayer - look at it like this - if you want your body to work efficiently and effectively, everything has to be in balance. If you have never heard of the posterior chain, you probably haven't trained it properly, and that will hold your performance back in a massive way. If you start training your pc properly, you will see dramatic results very quickly.

hey bodi its cool i understand the concept of having everything in balance, i thought it was the TA as it was the antagonist to the anterior core i think it was jeff that mentioned the core, i do train my body quite equally and my PC gets worked well with my deadlifting and med ball slams etc etc, i am a qualified PT over a year now i should have known this already, i have actually heard it being mentioned before just never took it in btw i highly rate your knowledge on this forum and dont just think you "googled leg muscles" ala a certain noob
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #27
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cheers for the compliment fella. We can't all know everything... i'm still learning, just like you and many others. Jack Doyle is more than entitled to his opinion, although it differs from mine, but i'm confident enough in my methods and opinions to stand by my reasoning...
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #28
Jackdoyle90
Journeyman

Quote:
Ok, excuse me for a moment, but I was responding to a question regarding the muscles that are considered parts of the posterior chain, which I have listed above - at no point did I mention specifically that developing the Biceps femoris (individually) would carry over to increased punching power - I did however suggest that developing the posterior chain (which I consider the Biceps femoris to be a part of) would increase punching power. If you think that developing the posterior chain doesn't contribute to not only punching power, but all round mobility, explosiveness and injury prevention, then quite frankly, you are mistaken. Like I also suggested, it is unwise to focus on individual muscles unless there is a specific reason for doing so, so to exclude things like the Biceps femoris, Piriformus etc from your training regime would be difficult. Are you also suggesting that training (stretching) the Piriformus doesn't benefit athletic ability?

Edit - you got me on the Iliopsoas... well done you...
Not trying to argue buddy just making a poin or two.

As regards piriformis, training any muscle benefits athletic ability so not sure what you mean by this.
Jackdoyle90 is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #29
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Points taken - like I said, you are welcome to your opinion, and if they differ from mine, I have no problem with that.

Re the Piriformis - my point was that the Piriformus is worked extensively in a well rounded training regime which includes posterior chain work, so I was disagreeing with your comment about the Piriformis not worth mentioning - as i'm sure you'll agree, every muscle is worth mentioning? As far as i'm aware, although Scrap would be more qualified than me in this area, a tight Piriformis can lead to haunched shoulders, which in lead to a person hanging their head forward, and unnecessary strain on the shoulder//upper back musculature. This can't be good for a boxer, can it?
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #30
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Posterier chain Balance . Thats why they support and are around your Coccyx, your centre of Gravity, spot on Bodi. If they are not maintained and stretched , evetually everything is Knackered when the chain reaction sets in.
scrap is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing