Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #16
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664
Default Re: John Murray pulls out of US fight

Tel, I take on board everything that you say...I have to because you are a very decent and knowledgeable poster indeed. However, I was under the impression that Mezaache had vacated and Murray could now be left fighting any old piece of pony and trap for the title....I don't even know who is involved in the purse bids.

Anyway, I agree that going the traditional route Brit>Euro>World is by far the better way, but that is not the point that I am trying to make. Too many people on here, and too many promoters it seems are not prepared to see their fighter in with a live body. How many times have you heard that so and so shouldn't take a fight because its too dangerous, or its high risk low reward...a match should mean precisely that, a reasonably equal matching of skills, to do otherwise robs the paying public, to be known as great (or even just good)a fighter shouldn't be able to bluff his way to a world title shot by just taking 75-25 fights. This obsession with the mighty "0" has to stop.
icemax is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #17
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Getting hit in the head for a living is by definition a risky business...if Murray isn't prepared to get through the ropes with someone who has at least a chance of besting him then he will go nowhere, and doesn't deserve to. I hate careers that are built on the path of least resistance.
But that isn't the case. It's a risky fight for nothing. If he is to have a risky fight in a sport where one punch is all it takes then it should at least be in an eliminator or something.

It's not being a *****, it just makes business sense. The two can work together.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
But that isn't the case. It's a risky fight for nothing. If he is to have a risky fight in a sport where one punch is all it takes then it should at least be in an eliminator or something.

It's not being a *****, it just makes business sense. The two can work together.
I agree, Murray shouldn't be daft in the choice of his opponents but each one should show at least an increase in class, however small.

My fear is that he will end up on the Euro circle jerk taking on 14-5 fighters, missing the world boat and then getting banjoed by a no name Hungarian, and then its an awful long way back...if you are going to get sparked it always looks better on the record if the sparking is done by a class opponent, theres absolutely no shame in that and IMO is not damaging to a career. In short, although I am not really a Murray fan, I don't want the lad to stagnate and miss his chance
icemax is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #19
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

as long as he sticks with Hennesey he is not getting any where near a world title.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #20
abzmanc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1225

Ducking the mighty Henry Lundy, disgraceful.
abzmanc is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
servo
England.
ESB Senior Member

Agree with the poster above. It is frustrating being a Murray fan at the moment, as he would fight absolutely anyone - but hasn't been able to get the draws he has been wanting lately. I remember when he was screaming out for a fight against Khan but that never happened.. and now is being overshadowed by Mitchell.

I think he has to leave Hennessey. And i do agree that Brit-EBU-World is the right way to go about it, for reasons which Terry D brought up in his other post. The only plus i could see him getting out of fighting Lundy would be some light exposure state side.. which will inevitably come soon enough if he progresses and wins the EBU.

Terry D - he didn't fight Thaxton for the EBU as Mezaache was next in line for a shot at it i think. I remember people talking about Murray fighting the winner but that hasn't materialised until now, after Mezaache vacated.

Good to see Murray sparring with Joan Guzman aswell! really is great news and look forward to going on his next fight. WAR MURRAY
servo is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #22
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

let's not forget. murray had shobox date + EBU title in one. vs mezaache how good would that have been? US coverage and European title. too good to be true. so what happens. mezaache has to vacate, pull out.

so suddenly it's either EBU title fight, OR shobox date. so a choice has to be made. it's either one, or the other. it can't be both, like it was before the frog found the diplomatic route to a world title. is hank lundy definitely better than kudriavtsev? are some of you just using lundy as an excuse to bash murray: probably.

surely the person deserving the scorn is mezaache. cheated his way out of 1st round KO vs thaxton. voluntary defense for thaxton. mick h seemed to have no rights over mezaache, so he didn't even have to defend the title over here! doesn't take on the top contender: murray. then he pulls out of solid TV date that could have established either man as a contender.

all mezaache has is a beating waiting for him in mexico, probably on an obscure "Latin Fury" PPV courtesy of bob "fvck the fans" arum himself.
rumour24tiger is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #23
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Yeah - I thought Mezaache was a hand picked first defence.

Like the man says though.... I can't see how he gains anything by sticking with Hennessy. As mentioned within this thread and several others - Murray vs Thaxton was a potentially cracking fight, that should have been signed the minute the Spanish fella (Melero I think) hit the canvas.... instead it was left to wait until Thaxton had lost his title and was quickly slipping.

Hopefully it proves to be the right decision, but I think people are too focused on domestic/European matches rather than looking at the bigger picture. If a good match can be made at home, of course do it, but if there aren't any we should look further afield rather than just marking time.

*That last paragraph applies to everyone, rather than just Murray
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
jordan1
Juan Lopez #1
East Side Guru

vCash: 395

John Murry must not think much of him self, and myself now a once fan of his because he wants to cherry pick the fights that he feels he can win I am not backing him.
jordan1 is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
BIG WORM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 6785

Good ol John - Stay in Manchester and fight bums .........

Proper hard cunt that boy....
BIG WORM is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
servo
England.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
Thaxton-Mezaache was a voluntary unless I'm very much mistaken (and if I am, I'll edit this post ASAP ).
Now you have said that i think I re-call it being voluntary, my mistake. Scratch that out of my point and the rest i still stick by.

To the poster above, this is why most Murray fans are itching for him to step up in class. He wants to and it hasn't been easy for him to move out of the domestic scene, but with his shot at the EBU he can do that.
servo is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
servo
England.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan1 View Post
John Murry must not think much of him self, and myself now a once fan of his because he wants to cherry pick the fights that he feels he can win I am not backing him.
Hardly been cherry picking when he has been screaming out for bigger fights, including calling out Khan etc.. and now (at only age 25) has landed a shot at the EBU title. Still a lot to see from him mate - you call yourself a 'once fan,' but i don't think there is a better time to be a Murray fan so get back on the train.
servo is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #28
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

God, is it me or do all Henessey's fighters have something in common?

Murray - Hardly known - Also a ****
Carl Froch - Not displayed on SKY or Mainstream telivision - Also a ****
Tyson Fury - Pure ****
Junior Witter - Hardly Known - Also a ****

**** me. Why do they stick with this promoter?
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #29
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
God, is it me or do all Henessey's fighters have something in common?

Murray - Hardly known - Also a ****
Carl Froch - Not displayed on SKY or Mainstream telivision - Also a ****
Tyson Fury - Pure ****
Junior Witter - Hardly Known - Also a ****

**** me. Why do they stick with this promoter?
why don't you come back after you've had a wank? all that talk of "****s" and "**** me".
Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #30
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG WORM View Post
Good ol John - Stay in Manchester and fight bums .........

Proper hard cunt that boy....
you must think very highly of henry lundy. why not start up the lundy appreciation thread. see how long it lasts...at least you'd be making comments that are productive.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum