Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Is Roberto Duran overrated?
Yes 34 29.57%
No 81 70.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #16
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Pachilles,
Surely by the time he gets to like 40 or whatever, it would be acceptable to excuse some of his losses ?
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #17
CassiusClayAli
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
His greatness rests on excusing all 16 of his losses. Which Robertards are fluent in. Or some just flat out refuse to believe his career went on beyond Montreal. You see, how he lost is irrelevant, why he lost only adds to his greatness!

He is without a doubt the biggest bitch in the history of boxing and is the king of excuses.
His victories don't recieve the same double standards. His greatest wins are...

Ray Leonard - Fantastic win, made his career, from the hate people had for Leonard.
Carlos Palomino - Was at the very tail end of his career, infact it was his very last serious fight. He was merely a faded big name used to boost the reputations of hot WW contenders Benitez and Duran.
Iran Barkley - Absolutely in no way, shape or form ATG career defining competition
Davey Moore - Absolutely in no way, shape or form career defining competition
Ken Buchanan - Finished the fight with literally an almighty punch to the testicles, anyone else else would've been disqualified.
De Jesus - Went 2 - 1 with him. His very best wins at LW.

Now all you have to do is hype the above fighters up beyond measure(except for Leonard because he made Duran quit like a bitch in the rematch and beat him in the 3rd fight...just pretend they never happened). Hype these fighters up to delusional standards, and then make as many excuses you can for the following losses....

-De Jesus, Leonard, Benitez, Laing, Hagler, Hearns, Sims, Leonard, Lawlor, Pazienzax2, Camacho, Castro, Joppy, Gonzales, Camacho

...and then you have credibility on ESB Classic.
This is a cool comment!. Yes Duran overrated big and only 2 hall of fame wins in his boxing record on boxrec!. For an ATG that is terrible!!!!! and he quit with SRL!!!
CassiusClayAli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #18
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Pachilles,
Surely by the time he gets to like 40 or whatever, it would be acceptable to excuse some of his losses ?
I am consistant with every single boxer i talk about in saying that a loss is a loss. Its not fair to make excuses and claim something totally different would've happened, compared to what actually did happen. If a fighter steps into the ring and he hadn't trained properly for the fight, that is his fault! It is a weakness to enter the ring unprepared, an emotional and a mental weakness. If a fighter is "past his prime" and still enters the ring it is a weaknessunder the same principle.
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #19
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiusClayAli View Post
This is a cool comment!. Yes Duran overrated big and only 2 hall of fame wins in his boxing record on boxrec!. For an ATG that is terrible!!!!! and he quit with SRL!!!
And now the Robertards are going to the trouble of creating new accounts, and typing like idiots to discredit the image of us non-believers.
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #20
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
If somebody says he is Top3, he is overrating him. If somebody says he is Top20 he is underrating him. He should be Top10, perhaps Top15.
If you are talking ALL-TIME POUND-FOR-POUND, I disagree.
On consideration, he wouldn't get in my top 20 all-time p4p.
I mean, we're talking about all-time, every fighter who ever fought.

If you mean lightweights, I'd say he'd definitely make the top 10, perhaps top 5.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #21
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
If you are talking ALL-TIME POUND-FOR-POUND, I disagree.
On consideration, he wouldn't get in my top 20 all-time p4p.
I mean, we're talking about all-time, every fighter who ever fought.

If you mean lightweights, I'd say he'd definitely make the top 10, perhaps top 5.
You can disagree with it. It just means you are underrating him.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #22
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
I am consistant with every single boxer i talk about in saying that a loss is a loss. Its not fair to make excuses and claim something totally different would've happened, compared to what actually did happen. If a fighter steps into the ring and he hadn't trained properly for the fight, that is his fault! It is a weakness to enter the ring unprepared, an emotional and a mental weakness. If a fighter is "past his prime" and still enters the ring it is a weaknessunder the same principle.
Ok. That's your criteria.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #23
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
You can disagree with it. It just means you are underrating him.
No, because everyone I'd rate above him would be thoroughly deserving. Great great fighters.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #24
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Ok. That's your criteria.
Its not criteria mate, its fact. If somebody takes those fights and wins then fine, use it. But if he loses, it cannot be excused or turned into some kind of victory
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #25
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Its not criteria mate, its fact. If somebody takes those fights and wins then fine, use it. But if he loses, it cannot be excused or turned into some kind of victory
No, it's not fact. It's your opinion. If people have the opinion that past prime losses are excusable it's as much "fact" as your "facts".
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 AM   #26
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
No, it's not fact. It's your opinion. If people have the opinion that past prime losses are excusable it's as much "fact" as your "facts".
Regardless, its still a loss. A loss is a loss. If you lost, you lost for a fact. It is a fact that you lost. There can be reasons behind a loss, reasons to why you lost...but a reasonable loss doesnt make a win.. An excuse doesnt excuse a loss, its still a loss. You can pretend it never happened, thats all you can do. But in real life it did happen, it is a loss no matter what. And that is why me saying a loss is a loss is FACT.
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #27
Meast
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Yorkshire/GTMSBT/London
Posts: 0
vCash: 900
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

I voted yes as I don't think he belongs in the top 3.

top 10 without a question, but top 3 is too high imo.
Meast is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #28
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Regardless, its still a loss. A loss is a loss. If you lost, you lost for a fact. It is a fact that you lost. There can be reasons behind a loss, reasons to why you lost...but a reasonable loss doesnt make a win.. An excuse doesnt excuse a loss, its still a loss. You can pretend it never happened, thats all you can do. But in real life it did happen, it is a loss no matter what. And that is why me saying a loss is a loss is FACT.
Yes, a loss is a loss. But not all losses are the same.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #29
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 3424
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Absolutely not! At least top 3 Lightweight of all time, even without the Leonard win he's right up there.
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #30
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

He was the best fighter of the colour TV age.

Watch him fight, glance at his record, there are enough names on there to back up what you’ve watched. Factor in his longevity… He’s as good as it gets. Some fighters achieved more in the past but I doubt anyone in the future will trump him.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013