Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Is Roberto Duran overrated?
Yes 34 29.57%
No 81 70.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #61
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Top Ten, yes, but not top three.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #62
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

I don't think anyone has any trouble admitting that Leonard was better than Duran at 147 all-time, Hearns and Benitez were better than Duran at 154 all-time and that Hagler was better than Duran at 160 all-time.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #63
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Yeah, I get ya. I didn't know Holyfield and Toney got special treatment though. Of course, Holyfield is given leeway because the vast majority of his losses were past-prime. Same is true of Ali.
Holyfield may have been a wrong example. Although he has some excuses for his losses, the value his legacy is not being exxagerated.

When a sentence involves Toney, on the other hand, it is always followed by "if he was in shape", "if he was motivated", "if he didn't use steroids", etc etc. Many seem to forget that even his best fights, for instance Nunn and Jirov, the fights were very close on the scorecards going into the 12th... not to mention losses to lesser fighters (Thadzi) and a few gift/close decisions here and there (McCallum, Tiberi, Rahman, Griffin)..
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #64
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

In terms of ability/talent/skills and acomplishment. He is in or very near the top 10 Pound for pound. As far as head to head match ups goes he can be outboxed. At lightweight where so many of you "knlodgable" clasic posters fawn over him at. I would fell comfortable and safe betting on Benny Leonard, Pernell Whatiker, Ike Williams, Joe Gans and Floyd Mayweather over him. 10 out of 10 times. The only reason he beat Ray leonard is because Leonard fought Duran's fight. Leonard domanated the rematch, making Duran quit. If you argue that Duran was not propeerly trained. Whose fault was that. Even if he was he might not have quit but he was not going to win that fight or any fight with a better and more skilled boxer.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #65
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Cant answer the thread question because it depends on who`s doing the rating... no1 is overrating him... no15 is underrating him.... I have him at about no5.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #66
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

I honestly think he is UNDERRATED at LW as many people see him losing classic matchups to fringe top 10ers when he was nearly unbeatable at this weight.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #67
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The Classic Forum has basically become like the General Forum for old school discussion.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #68
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
The Classic Forum has basically become like the General Forum for old school discussion.
There seem to be a lot of unobjective posters claiming objective posters are biased. Odd and frustrating.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #69
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
In terms of ability/talent/skills and acomplishment. He is in or very near the top 10 Pound for pound. As far as head to head match ups goes he can be outboxed. At lightweight where so many of you "knlodgable" clasic posters fawn over him at. I would fell comfortable and safe betting on Benny Leonard, Pernell Whatiker, Ike Williams, Joe Gans and Floyd Mayweather over him. 10 out of 10 times. The only reason he beat Ray leonard is because Leonard fought Duran's fight. Leonard domanated the rematch, making Duran quit. If you argue that Duran was not propeerly trained. Whose fault was that. Even if he was he might not have quit but he was not going to win that fight or any fight with a better and more skilled boxer.
Mayweather beating Duran 10 out of 10? Good one. He barely beat Castillo and didn't exactly dominate him the second time around. Most of this stuff you wrote has been argued against by the most "knlodgable" posters, yet so many continue to spew this garbage. Frustrating, I tell ya.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #70
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I just did a quick thread in the General Forum that barely anybody gives a **** about in regards to Eddie M. Muhammad's "Porky" look at 175 pounds. And, I also think the same can be said about Roberto Duran when he fights at Middleweight or Super-Middleweight..... Anything above 154 pounds and Duran shows / displays a certain amount of pork in the strike-zone area of his body.

I just taped Eddie M. Muhammad's wicked 1982 fourth round KO over Lottie Mwale off ESPN the other night, and while Muhammad made 175 pounds, he still had some soft spots in his girth and lower back....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #71
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Has anyone here ever seen his fights from 72 to 78? Or are we just going to disregard his prime and judge him on the way down?
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #72
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
There seem to be a lot of unobjective posters claiming objective posters are biased. Odd and frustrating.
That's exactly what it is. Pachilles is obviously insecure about his Duran love conspiracy theory because he feels the need to state its so called existence in every one of his posts.

I tell him every time, and explain it to him every time, to which he usually replies he hasn't seen much of lightweight Duran, or any Buchanan. So i'm not doing it this time, me, you, Sweet Pea etc have made it consistently clear, so let us ignore them consistently now. This forum has always been the god section, i don't want that to stop. Let's ignore trolling now lads.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #73
kidargentine
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm not that big on him, but you've got be crazy to call that guy Overrated...
kidargentine is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #74
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Jesus, no one who hasn't even bothered to watch much of his lightweight fights should be holding much of an opinion either way on Duran.Talk about lacking credibility.

IF you are going to p[ost time and time again, especially if it's laying into a fighter, at least watch the damn fights.
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #75
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
So Ken Buchanan wasn't a skilled boxer/mover at lightweight?
werety is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum