Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Is Roberto Duran overrated?
Yes 34 29.57%
No 81 70.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #91
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
Where do you see a dubbel standred?
Did you read the post the post you re responding to is a response to?
The logic of the post was that because Mayweather had one bad night he would not do will in a prime for prime match up with Duran. You may fel that Mayweather would beat Durn or that he wont. However to make that call based on an off night is very flawed. It would be just like saying Duran could not win big fights becsuse he had one bad night himself.
Yeah, I did. You excused Mayweather's loss to Castillo, to me it is one, with him having an off-night. On he other hand you use Duran's quitting, something he did exactly one in over 100 fights, as a reason for Mayweaher winning. If hat's not a double standard what is it then?
bodhi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #92
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Yeah, I did. You excused Mayweather's loss to Castillo, to me it is one, with him having an off-night. On he other hand you use Duran's quitting, something he did exactly one in over 100 fights, as a reason for Mayweaher winning. If hat's not a double standard what is it then?
Prehaps you should read my statment more carefuly. Had I stated that because Duran quit against Leonard he would have quit in any adverse sittuition. You would be right I would be presenting a dubble standered. However I stated the oppiset. My point was that you can't take a single bad preformance and judge their whole careers or make a prime/prime match up decision based on it.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #93
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernellSweetPea View Post
Many people say Roberto Duran is in the top 3 greatest fighter list. Is Duran overrated????? The man beat one great fighter in his career and then lost to that fighter when he quit!!!! Is Duran overrated??????
As a GREAT FIGHTER, ABSOLUTELY NOT!! PS. I won't dance on the head of a pin over top three.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #94
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Ah, now I remember.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #95
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Both

Underrated: Practically no one ranks him over Henry Armstrong or Ross for that matter who he is flat out better than imo and a comparable resume and the potential if given the chance to hold FW-WW titles simultaneously

Overrated: When people say he was past it/not prepared for all his losses. The myth that get's put about that he wasn't motivated for facing ATG's but was up for facing Davey Moore and Barkley. He had stylistic weaknesses like practically every boxer and his were elite level movement and counter boxers alongside speed but every boxer has issues with speed. His win over Barkley just isn't that good, I mean it's good but not really great and I don't care if he was 70 and he needed a poo in round 6, it doesn't make Barkley great
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #96
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Ah, now I remember.
1) good job.
2) some1 merge threads plz.
this , d first 1 :
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
d 2nd 1 , from 2day :
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
3) and some1 else , explain y 2 of d same
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #97
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Both

Underrated: Practically no one ranks him over Henry Armstrong or Ross for that matter who he is flat out better than imo and a comparable resume and the potential if given the chance to hold FW-WW titles simultaneously

Overrated: When people say he was past it/not prepared for all his losses. The myth that get's put about that he wasn't motivated for facing ATG's but was up for facing Davey Moore and Barkley. He had stylistic weaknesses like practically every boxer and his were elite level movement and counter boxers alongside speed but every boxer has issues with speed. His win over Barkley just isn't that good, I mean it's good but not really great and I don't care if he was 70 and he needed a poo in round 6, it doesn't make Barkley great
Duran quit vs. Leonard , Armstrong lasted d distance vs. Walker Smith Jr. .
reminder : Duran was a former 135 vs a 147.
Armstrong a former 126 vs a 147 who became d undisputed 160 king .
Also , Duran was dirty @ 135 , I still didn't read same thing regarding Armstrong @ any weight .
Yes , I rank Armstrong over Duran myself .
And no , I rank Duran over Ross myself .

Last edited by frankenfrank; 09-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #98
darling dame
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

only gans leonard (benny ) could top roberto at light. but how can you say roberto overated he came 1 round of beating great hagler.
darling dame is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #99
PernellSweetPea
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yes!
PernellSweetPea is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #100
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No. Personally I think he's damn near impossible to over rate.

Sure he quite once and sure he lost some important fights, but at least we know what happened and we got to see him fight. That always means a little more to me than that transpired in the early 1900's where there may have been no footage and time can sometime distort the truth.

For me personally his wins over Leonard and especially Barkley were his defining moments in the ring. They are as good of wins as anything I've seen in my lifetime.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #101
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Claiming that Duran's resume is constructed of a win over " one great fighter ", does not even begin to do his legacy any justice.. He was arguably the greatest lightweight of all time, defeated many very good contenders and titlists, plus was competitive in multiple divisions and had longevity that was absolutely sick..

I do agree with some who say that he was a little overrated though... While his reign at lightweight was one of the most impressive in any weight division in history, having your best wins coming against Estaban Dejesus and Ken Buchanan wasn't as much so... They were certainly good fighters, but his great reign lacked great wins.... His ascent to the welterweight division, resulting in victories over Carlos palamino and the greatest win of his career against Ray Leonard, are what places him over the top...competing admirably against Marvin Hagler and beating Iran Barkley at an advanced age, were respectable feats as well, but not quite historic.... He also had a very bad loss to Thomas Hearns, and was beaten by such forgetables as Kirkland Laing and Robbie Simms...

All in all, he is probably worthy of being a top 10 pound for pound guy, but some have him anywhere from #1 to #5, and I think this is a tad over generous..

I agree with much of what you say here, and this is a fine example of fighters getting overated & underated. the point being it is Impossible to be 100% accurate with any fighters, any of them.

the most accurate & honest evaluation for the litterally thousands of GREAT Fighters is they are/were Great fighters AMONG the greatest of All-time!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #102
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Overrated no, overrated like ****ing hell!!!! H2h comparing him with monzon, robinson.. Wtf... He lost against every great legend that he faced.. The first fight with leonard is overrated..
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #103
Ljc
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hands View Post
Overrated no, overrated like ****ing hell!!!! H2h comparing him with monzon, robinson.. Wtf... He lost against every great legend that he faced.. The first fight with leonard is overrated..
Every ATG he faced was considerably bigger than him, and younger.If he had faced more ATG'S his own size do you not think he would have faired better?
Ljc is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #104
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljc View Post
Every ATG he faced was considerably bigger than him, and younger.If he had faced more ATG'S his own size do you not think he would have faired better?
we can talk about the real facts, not about speculation, the legacy of a fighter is not built based on " he could". he faced the guys that he faced. period
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #105
Ljc
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hands View Post
we can talk about the real facts, not about speculation, the legacy of a fighter is not built based on " he could". he faced the guys that he faced. period
Fair point but its also a fact that he was LW champ for 7 years then moved up and beat one of the best WW ever who was younger and bigger than him and then moved up and took an ATG MW 15 rounds. As some one mentioned SRR had 19 defeats does that make him overrated?
Ljc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum