Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #16
barry big balls
You cant handle the truth
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jamie Moore turned down a fight with Darren Barker

Jamie dodged a bullet there lol....... I am impressed with the names flying around darren barker at the moment like lajun simon for instance.... now whether or not it happens is another thing.
barry big balls is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 AM   #17
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

boxers turn down fights all the time.
rumour24tiger is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #18
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

In fairness, I can see why he won't take on Barker at this minute. After coming off a loss he needs to get a solid win under his belt and get some confidence back. Losing against Barker would be a huge blow to his career. Maybe this fight could happen at the end of the year. If Moore wins his next fight that is.

Barker needs to sort out a fight pronto. Fighting another bum will do him no good at this stage. He needs to fight someone in the top 30. That could tee him up for a big domestic fight down the line.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #19
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

we need moorsey take on this.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #20
Hooch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
we need moorsey take on this.
Indeed,

Seriously doubt Jamie believes this fight is below him or something as stupid as that. Prob not enough money or would like a fight at middleweight first.
Hooch is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #21
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
Indeed,

Seriously doubt Jamie believes this fight is below him or something as stupid as that. Prob not enough money or would like a fight at middleweight first.
But it is below him.
No disrepect to Barker, but Moore has a Lonsdale belt outright.
Why should he continue to fight at that level when he has bigger aspirations?
In his last fight he took on in my opinion, an unnecessary risk in Ryan Rhodes. It may have been billed as a 'WBC eliminator' but in truth he would've been no closer to fighting for the belt; he can't keep contesting these fan-friendly domestic fights to please the British fans - he's got to think of his career at some point.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #22
Hooch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
But it is below him.
In his last fight he took on in my opinion, an unnecessary risk in Ryan Rhodes. It may have been billed as a 'WBC eliminator' but in truth he would've been no closer to fighting for the belt; he can't keep contesting these fan-friendly domestic fights to please the British fans - he's got to think of his career at some point.
I can understand why another Lonsdale belt is not high on the agenda but, to suggest that Barker is below a fighter moving up a weight and coming off a loss to Ryan Rhodes is pure **** custard.

Who will he fight then? - A bigger name at middle who is not gonna hit him as often as Rohdes and Macklin did FFS

Its simple - journeymen or hard crowd pleasing fights, there is nothing in between because of the way he fights and the fact he is now in with bigger men.
Hooch is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #23
Mikey7
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
But it is below him.
You got it pretty much right there olly. Listen fella's, i would never say the lonsdale belt is below me, i'm very proud of my belt and would love one at Middle. But, the timing isn't right. I've done the 'big bollocks i'll fight anyone' thing and had quite a few fights where there were easier fights i could have had, but i've took the harder ones coz i like the idea of being involved in those fights and being remembered for them when i'm finished. What i did say was that i want to fight for a world title before i retire and i can't wait around for another 12-18months to get into the mandatory position in europe and push myself up the ratings, i want to fight a good name, probably in the US, and try and get a quicker, not easier, route to a world shot.
You know i don't duck people, but as i'm getting older i'm getting a bit smarter! I know i won't be here forever and want my shot. Lesser people have had them.
Anyway, why no thread about Barker ducking Quigley??
Mikey7 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #24
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
You got it pretty much right there olly. Listen fella's, i would never say the lonsdale belt is below me, i'm very proud of my belt and would love one at Middle. But, the timing isn't right. I've done the 'big bollocks i'll fight anyone' thing and had quite a few fights where there were easier fights i could have had, but i've took the harder ones coz i like the idea of being involved in those fights and being remembered for them when i'm finished. What i did say was that i want to fight for a world title before i retire and i can't wait around for another 12-18months to get into the mandatory position in europe and push myself up the ratings, i want to fight a good name, probably in the US, and try and get a quicker, not easier, route to a world shot.
You know i don't duck people, but as i'm getting older i'm getting a bit smarter! I know i won't be here forever and want my shot. Lesser people have had them.
Exactly.

I'd like to have seen it had you taken a warm up fight between the Rhodes fight and now.

It's the same as when people were accusing Ryan of ducking Small

Never heard anything so ****ing daft in my life
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019

Quote:
Mike, that's a very professional attitude mate.

You deserve your shot
Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #26
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
What i did say was that i want to fight for a world title before i retire and i can't wait around for another 12-18months to get into the mandatory position in europe and push myself up the ratings, i want to fight a good name, probably in the US, and try and get a quicker, not easier, route to a world shot.
I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but I think you should fight for a couple of minor international/inter-continental baubles, and concentrate on getting a world ranking with all four major governing bodies.
These titles may mean little, but are highly effective as a means of securing an inflated ranking; just look at Baysangurov's recent fights. Knocked out in an eliminator for the IBF title (as i'm sure your aware), he's now the WBA's number 3 light-middle having won and defended their inter-continental title against pretty non-descript opposition.
I know you said you weren't seeking an easier route to a world title, but you've done things the 'proper way' - British/Commonwealth/European and haven't got the shot you merited; I think you should do whatever it takes to get that world title fight.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #27
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
I can understand why another Lonsdale belt is not high on the agenda but, to suggest that Barker is below a fighter moving up a weight and coming off a loss to Ryan Rhodes is pure **** custard.

Who will he fight then? - A bigger name at middle who is not gonna hit him as often as Rohdes and Macklin did FFS

Its simple - journeymen or hard crowd pleasing fights, there is nothing in between because of the way he fights and the fact he is now in with bigger men.
There are plenty of middleweights who can offer more than Barker can at this minute (i.e a world ranking).
What would beating Barker mean for Moore?
Okay he'd be a two weight British champ, and that would be a great achievement, but i'm sure he much rather be remembered as a former world champ.
And as regards fighting either 'journeymen' or contesting in 'hard, crowd pleasing fights', why is there no other alternative?
I much rather see him fight a world ranked, fringe world class fighter of which there are plenty: Geale, Gevor, Simon etc etc
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #28
cityofgod
Worcester warrior
ESB Senior Member

So what Jamie is basically saying is "yep i ducked Barker good and proper".

So that's you and Macklin now reckoning your 'above him' which is ain't washing with me or the other people hear with their eyes open. It's no secret that Macklin wants no part of Darren Barker because he knows the guy has sparred days on end with Kessler, Froch etc and wouldn't be blasted out of there in double quick time like that bum Asikinen.

But i'm surprised at you Jamie, here you had a chance to get the British & Commonwealth middleweight titles against a formidable British opponent who is unbeaten as well - and instead you'll fight someone probably over the hill or from the eastern bloc.

Light middle is not really bursting with super stars and if a chance never arose there, then it will never arise at middleweight. Sorry to be negative, but you'd get eaten alive by Pavlik, Williams, Felix Sturm, Martinez, Gennady Golovkin etc. The second and third tiers of Andy Lee, John Duddy, are much better known stateside and still not managed a shot at a title.

Unless your with ****** and the WBO becomes available you've blown it. With the Barker fight, you'd get straight into contention for the european title if you won which would immeadiately propel your ranking.

Sitting around expecting a favour aint gonna happen unless your a massive ticket seller and known Stateside. Harsh but true.

I'll add that i think you DO deserve a shot and do deserve a payday as you've always been a solid pro and like you say, lesser people have had their chance.

But dont say 'your past Barker' cos you aint pal as you've not even had a fight at 160lb yet, so how do you know ?

Like i said, sorry to be negative - but were not all daft here you know.
cityofgod is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofgod View Post
So what Jamie is basically saying is "yep i ducked Barker good and proper".

So that's you and Macklin now reckoning your 'above him' which is ain't washing with me or the other people hear with their eyes open.

It's no secret that Macklin wants no part of Darren Barker because he knows the guy has sparred days on end with Kessler, Froch etc and wouldn't be blasted out of there in double quick time like that bum Asikinen.

But i'm surprised at you Jamie, here you had a chance to get the British & Commonwealth middleweight titles against a formidable British opponent who is unbeaten as well - and instead you'll fight someone probably over the hill or from the eastern bloc.

Light middle is not really bursting with super stars and if a chance never arose there, then it will never arise at middleweight.

Sorry to be negative, but you'd get eaten alive by Pavlik, Williams, Felix Sturm, Martinez, Gennady Golovkin etc.

The second and third tiers of Andy Lee, John Duddy, are much better known stateside and still not managed a shot at a title.

Unless your with ****** and the WBO becomes available you've blown it.

With the Barker fight, you'd get straight into contention for the european title if you won which would immeadiately propel your ranking.

Sitting around expecting a favour aint gonna happen unless your a massive ticket seller and known Stateside.

Harsh but true.

I'll add that i think you DO deserve a shot and do deserve a payday as you've always been a solid pro and like you say, lesser people have had their chance.

But dont say 'your past Barker' cos you aint pal as you've not even had a fight at 160lb yet, so how do you know ?

Like i said, sorry to be negative - but were not all daft here you know.
Wow. You've posted in a thread not relating to Carl Froch. That's gotta be a first.
First of all Darren is ranked number 4 with the EBU.
If Moore beat him he'd still not get an immediate shot at the European title.
Secondly Macklin did not duck Barker, he fought for the European title. Since winning that title Macklin has been touted as an opponent for Pavlik, joined the Wildcard gym and seen his reputation/meida profile rocket.
Even Darren doesn't think Macklin ducked him.
The attitude you've displayed is ridiculously insular; here's a fighter who has put himself through the mill repeatedly, taking on unnecessary risks and all comers, winning a Lonsdale belt outright in the process and the first time he displays a modicum of self-interest some ungrateful pricks start accusing him of being a ducker.
And as the man himslef said - why aren't there any threads about Barker ducking Quigley?
For the record I don't think Barker is ducking Quigley - he probably realises that that particular fight does nothing for his career, in terms of advancing himself on the world stage.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #30
barry big balls
You cant handle the truth
ESB Senior Member

Im not jamies biggest fan but he knocks out barker in the latter rounds , id be shocked if he didnt....
barry big balls is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum