Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #31
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jamie Moore turned down a fight with Darren Barker

not sure if moore is above British level , certainly at Middle he is not european level.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #32
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I understand what Moore is saying. He's making a business decision. Possibly the wrong one though.

Coming off a loss, beating an undefeated Brit who holds 2 titles would put him in line for a shot against Macklin and that is a huge domestic bout. Win that and he is in line for a world title crack, maybe an eliminator.

I'm not sure if someone like Moore would get a title shot any easier. Best bet is to be thrown in there against a contender who can put him in line for title shot i.e. when Clarke beat whathisname and got a shot at Vargas.

Can Moore possibly find a better opponent then Barker for April? I dunno.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
I understand what Moore is saying. He's making a business decision. Possibly the wrong one though.

Coming off a loss, beating an undefeated Brit who holds 2 titles would put him in line for a shot against Macklin and that is a huge domestic bout. Win that and he is in line for a world title crack, maybe an eliminator.

I'm not sure if someone like Moore would get a title shot any easier. Best bet is to be thrown in there against a contender who can put him in line for title shot i.e. when Clarke beat whathisname and got a shot at Vargas.

Beating Barker would not put Moore in line for a shot at Macklin.
Macklin is not going to jeopardise a shot at a world title - it'll be the path of least resistance until he gets a shot at Sylvester.
Secondly Moore's opponent has been announced
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #34
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:

He has an opponent already for April. And what if he lost to Barker? Then where can he go?

Like I said before, he needs to be sure he is 100% ready for a fight against Barker - but if Moore is wanting to get a world title shot sooner rather than later, then Barker isn't going to really boost his rating is he?
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #35
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

If Moore beat Barker I think he would get a shot at Macklin. Macklin would have the chance to avenge his loss. It would be huge if sold right.

Moore can get further with this fight then that nobody he is fighting in April who is coming off of 3 losses.

Fighters don't go into fighters thinking they will lose. He should prepare for that though. If he did lose to Barker, he doesn't belong with Kelly Pavlik and other guys would probably undo him before he got that title shot.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #36
Hooch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry big balls View Post
Im not jamies biggest fan but he knocks out barker in the latter rounds , id be shocked if he didnt....
I Agree, Barker is not the strongest middle and the extra weight will help Moore imo - would still love to see it though
Hooch is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #37
Mikey7
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofgod View Post
So what Jamie is basically saying is "yep i ducked Barker good and proper".

So that's you and Macklin now reckoning your 'above him' which is ain't washing with me or the other people hear with their eyes open. It's no secret that Macklin wants no part of Darren Barker because he knows the guy has sparred days on end with Kessler, Froch etc and wouldn't be blasted out of there in double quick time like that bum Asikinen.

But i'm surprised at you Jamie, here you had a chance to get the British & Commonwealth middleweight titles against a formidable British opponent who is unbeaten as well - and instead you'll fight someone probably over the hill or from the eastern bloc.

Light middle is not really bursting with super stars and if a chance never arose there, then it will never arise at middleweight. Sorry to be negative, but you'd get eaten alive by Pavlik, Williams, Felix Sturm, Martinez, Gennady Golovkin etc. The second and third tiers of Andy Lee, John Duddy, are much better known stateside and still not managed a shot at a title.

Unless your with ****** and the WBO becomes available you've blown it. With the Barker fight, you'd get straight into contention for the european title if you won which would immeadiately propel your ranking.

Sitting around expecting a favour aint gonna happen unless your a massive ticket seller and known Stateside. Harsh but true.

I'll add that i think you DO deserve a shot and do deserve a payday as you've always been a solid pro and like you say, lesser people have had their chance.

But dont say 'your past Barker' cos you aint pal as you've not even had a fight at 160lb yet, so how do you know ?

Like i said, sorry to be negative - but were not all daft here you know.
I never once said I was above Barker, read my post.
And seriously, what do you think of Barker ducking Quigley?
Mikey7 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #38
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
If Moore beat Barker I think he would get a shot at Macklin. Macklin would have the chance to avenge his loss. It would be huge if sold right.

Moore can get further with this fight then that nobody he is fighting in April who is coming off of 3 losses.

Fighters don't go into fighters thinking they will lose. He should prepare for that though. If he did lose to Barker, he doesn't belong with Kelly Pavlik and other guys would probably undo him before he got that title shot.
He is taking a warmup fight after six months inactivity. It's not unheard of.
And for the umpteeth time, beating Barker does nothing to further his world title aspirations.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #39
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071

I remember reading that moore said he might only have one fight at middle and if the cut was still brutal move up to 168. If the cut was bad for his next fight and he got beat by barker in terms of career he would be damaged. So i imagine for barker he is targeting a name opponent, weight problems and coming off a loss. Let moore have a taste at middle then they should fight.
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #40
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
He is taking a warmup fight after six months inactivity. It's not unheard of.
And for the umpteeth time, beating Barker does nothing to further his world title aspirations.
A warm up fight is fine but if you want to move your career along then get straight back in there. If you've got rust etc, shake it off in the gym. Nevertheless, if he wants to take an easier fight for his first middleweight outing then that is cool BUT he has to accept it does absolutely nothing for his career.

Beating Barker does more for his world title aspirations than this fight. Beating the undefeated British/C'Wealth champ would place him nicely in the WBC rankings. As does his last fight being a WBC eliminator. Couple this with him being a former Brit/C'Wealth/Euro champ at 154. If he beat Macklin it would further his WBC ranking. These orgs have always had good ties to the WBC, since it's creation.

Barker, Macklin, eliminator, I could see it getting him a title shot and being put firmly in the minds of boxing fans.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #41
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Beating Barker does more for his world title aspirations than this fight. Beating the undefeated British/C'Wealth champ would place him nicely in the WBC rankings. As does his last fight being a WBC eliminator. Couple this with him being a former Brit/C'Wealth/Euro champ at 154. If he beat Macklin it would further his WBC ranking. These orgs have always had good ties to the WBC, since it's creation.
Moore's not ranked at middle by the WBC as yet - he's currently ranked number eight at light middle.
I'd imagine they'll put him in the top ten, as they have done Witter at welterweight.
Barker on the other hand isn't even in their top 15. Nor is he in any of the other three major organisations.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #42
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Moore's not ranked at middle by the WBC as yet - he's currently ranked number eight at light middle.
I'd imagine they'll put him in the top ten, as they have done Witter at welterweight.
Barker on the other hand isn't even in their top 15. Nor is he in any of the other three major organisations.
Moore is making a business decision but Barker is a much better fight than the one he is taking. Better for his profile, better for his quest for a title shot and better for his belt cabinet. This is the point.

If he is not ready for a tough fight at 160 then this is a different debate. However he says he is willing to go to the top and not via the easy route. Fighting Barker will elevate him higher than this no name he is fighting in April.

Barker should be in the top 20. He has two belts and fought good domestic fighters. He is waiting for that step up. It should've been El**** and Macklin but he's been unlucky both times!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #43
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Barker should be in the top 20. He has two belts and fought good domestic fighters. He is waiting for that step up. It should've been El**** and Macklin but he's been unlucky both times!
No he hasn't.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #44
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
No he hasn't.
The Steven Bendall who beat Paul Smith in his next fight? The same Paul Smith who is 168 Brit champ.

The Darren McDermott who was the English champ with only one loss, beat Bendall prior to Barker and then Butler after the loss.

He did fight Crampton for the vacant C'Wealth when he was undefeated.

He fought Samuels when he only had two losses.

The guy is a British champ, thats the sort of fighters on the domestic scene. Only two he could fight is El**** and Macklin. They are the next step up. I think he has been unfortunate to have fought for vacant titles. Remember though, El**** and Macklin are arguably not domestic fighters, they are international having fought and won on the Euro and World scene.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #45
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The Steven Bendall who beat Paul Smith in his next fight? The same Paul Smith who is 168 Brit champ.

The Darren McDermott who was the English champ with only one loss, beat Bendall prior to Barker and then Butler after the loss.

He did fight Crampton for the vacant C'Wealth when he was undefeated.

He fought Samuels when he only had two losses.

The guy is a British champ, thats the sort of fighters on the domestic scene. Only two he could fight is El**** and Macklin. They are the next step up. I think he has been unfortunate to have fought for vacant titles. Remember though, El**** and Macklin are arguably not domestic fighters, they are international having fought and won on the Euro and World scene.
None of that is impressive.
Bendall may have a win over Smith, (which was apparently a robbery, but I haven't seen it), but Smith's record at middle isn't anything to shout about is it? And for the record I had Smith losing to Quigley.
So Crampton was undefeated. So what? He was crap. Lost every single round. Samuel Kebede was undefeated when he fought Scott Harrison. Are you going to talk him up too?
The McDermott win was okay. McDermott should've been granted a rematch with El****. No way to lose an undefeated record.
Nevertheless he's just about British level.
ollyc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum