Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Devon Alexander vs Juan Urango - Pre fight discussion + RBR

Thought I would get in nice and early, also I have an ulterior motive. (oh yes and sorry for yet another Alexander vs Urango thread)

I wrote a piece for a boxing website but the editor has been busy moving house so he has not got it up on time so, especially and exclusivly for ESB Brit forum you guys get to read it. So give me some feedback on the format as it is a weekly article.

Also I want some feedback on the fight, and how you guys see it.

Then the RBR

This is a new series exclusive to ********. The purpose of this is not only to preview up coming fights and ****yse current fighters but also maybe give some fans a new understanding to the sport and will know what to look for when watching the fight, similar to Al Bernstein’s ‘Keys to Victory.’

This week is a very exciting clash between IBF Light Welterweight champion Juan Urango and WBC Light Welterweight champion Devon Alexander.

The Light Welterweight division at the moment is stacked to the rafters with the likes of Timothy Bradley, Amir Khan and Paulie Malignaggi numbered among its ranks. These two battle for extra recognition in the crowded street of boxing.

Let’s take a quick look at the basis of both combatants to gain a further understanding into them.

Devon Alexander is a tidy, well schooled boxer puncher. A sharp and fast hitter not by any means a big hitter but a good puncher. He applies steady pressure behind a very educated right hand jab and looks to patiently break down his opponent; he throws combinations well to head and body with his best shots being the right hook and straight left.
He cuts off the ring very well and recovers well when he misses. However, defensively he is slightly lacking, as he often loses concentration and stops moving his head or feet and can be tagged. His trainer Kevin Cunningham recognises his need to always be moving either his feet or head and surely will be working on this with him for this fight.

Juan Urango is a classic come forward fighter: what he lacks in skill he makes up for in strength and aggression! His strength is his main attribute, I can’t think of any Light Welterweight that is stronger than him past or present, and he even forced Ricky Hatton to box him. This strength is also in his punches, although not explosive he hits very strongly especially to the body. He also has an Iron chin. Although his punches can be pretty wide at times he can shoot some short punches out that do damage of which he demonstrated against Vilches. He has a high work rate and exerts a lot of pressure over 12 rounds, and is learning to cut the ring off quite well. When applying pressure he works the body and head equally well, which is always nice to see.
His main weakness however is his defence. As Teddy Atlas has pointed out on Friday Night Fights on ESPN, Urango holds his hands wide and is susceptible to punches straight down the pipe. Also his wide punches allow him to be countered by short straight shots as he comes forward, exactly how Randall Bailey dropped him in their bout. Another weakness I notice is that Juan is not a fluid combination puncher and instead loads up on every shot which makes for a slow combination, this also makes his finishing look quite crude but in fact his pure aggression is effective in finishing off an opponent.

The Strategies

Devon Alexander

Alexander cannot stand and trade with Urango, Urango needs a stationary opponent to get his shots off. Alexander needs to side step to keep Urango off balance to quell Juan’s work rate.
He can also exploit the wide punches of Urango by countering straight down the pipe with his straight left – right hook combination. However, he needs to move after this every time to avoid Urango’s retribution.
He cannot be caught in a fight with Urango, Urango hits too hard and can absorb Alexander’s best shots. The same cannot be said about Alexander. If Urango does find his way inside Alexander has to resist the urge to trade and tie up Urango – who often allows himself to be held.
Boxing journalist Kevin Blatt has told me that he feels Urango has lost his hunger and Alexander can exploit this by following the aforementioned strategy. He can hit Urango repeatedly and keep Urango off balance and not allow Urango the opportunity to hit him. This will demoralise Urango and if he really has lost his hunger he would look to just see the fight out rather than win.

Juan Urango
Urango has to use his strength and make it tell on Alexander. Make this a brawl! Alexander is a proud champion and pride is a deadly sin! Urango has to exploit that and use Alexander’s pride against him by drawing him into a war of attrition. Urango knows he can take Alexander’s shots, so he has to place doubt in the mind of Alexander and take him to war.
My friend and hardcore boxing fan The Flea (our very own Fleaman) believes Urango can use his wide punches as an advantage. He has to step in with the wide punches and get inside to allow himself to land his devastating short punches on Alexander. This is a must if Urango tries to turn it into a war.
And on top of all this Urango needs to keep the pace high, Juan knows he can do a hard 12 rounds; Alexander does not. Use this doubt to keep the pace high and make Devon unsure of himself.

I cant wait for this fight.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Devon Alexander vs Juan Urango - Pre fight discussion + RBR

I have had 100 vcash on Alexander for the TKO or KO...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Vcash spent reasonably well IMO, is it good odds? I think a stoppage could be on the cards. Unless os course Juan Urango is reading my strategy.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it is 10-1 or it might be a bit less I can't remember TBH. I think that you writing is very good Greg... Easy to read and breaks down easy enough...

Are you given a word count to stick within...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO MAS View Post
I think it is 10-1 or it might be a bit less I can't remember TBH. I think that you writing is very good Greg... Easy to read and breaks down easy enough...

Are you given a word count to stick within...
Nope, just keep it reasonable. Thats about as much as I could write on a basic strategy outlining the keystones, without going in to pedantic details.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Vcash spent reasonably well IMO, is it good odds? I think a stoppage could be on the cards. Unless os course Juan Urango is reading my strategy.
Can't see it mate did you see the right hand Urango ate from Bailey? Put him down but he didn't even change his plan after it. I think Urango will chase him down and pound out a hard fought TKO can't see Alexander keeping away from Urango for all 12 rounds
LHL is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
cool-cat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

How do you use V cash?
cool-cat is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-cat View Post
How do you use V cash?
There should be a vbookie link at the top of the page, just below the European forum link.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
cool-cat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

Quote:
There should be a vbookie link at the top of the page, just below the European forum link.
just put a few bets down there.
cool-cat is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by white powder View Post
Alexanders getting knocked the **** off his game, urangos gonna infight so much alexanders gonna feel like he'd been jail ****d when the fights over
I hope so Bailey has a great jab and an awesome straight right and Urango ate them all night i just think he will eat them and impose himself on Alexander, should be a great clash of styles
LHL is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

i make alexander favourite.

i think his skills will pick up the points.

not totally confident though.

not particularly sold on devon.

looks a solid unspectacular sort.

urango will give him some uncomfortable moments i fancy.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
I hope so Bailey has a great jab and an awesome straight right and Urango ate them all night i just think he will eat them and impose himself on Alexander, should be a great clash of styles
but bailey is a more conventional straight ahead fighter.

devon is a lefty and therefore more cagey by nature.

won't stand his ground as much and get involved.

interesting one though.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Can't see it mate did you see the right hand Urango ate from Bailey? Put him down but he didn't even change his plan after it. I think Urango will chase him down and pound out a hard fought TKO can't see Alexander keeping away from Urango for all 12 rounds
Yeh, the best LWW puncher ever, landed his bets punch right on his chin. Absoloute brutal, cant beleive Urango got up.

Alexander does not have to keep Urango away he just has to step to the side.

Quote:
Bailey does not have a great jab it was a pawing jab used to set up the right, abit like Khaosai galaxy. But it will be a class fight. Alexander is more conventional than Bailey also IMO.

By stoppage i think Alexander could force a 'no mas' kinda stoppage or a corner retirement
Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Alexander should use his skills to win this, Urango's allways struck me as a bit of a plodder.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

Will be watching tonight, hope Devon wins, so Khan can fight him after Paulie and take them 2 belts off him.

Darni187 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum