Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
alex-boxer42
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default 6 weeks to lose 14 pounds

I weigh 179 right now after a nice meal. I need to be at 165 for the golden gloves in my state in six weeks. I didn't think it would be a problem except when I started training, as usual I gain weight instead of losing it.

So I know how to lose water weight and diet properly. Im no pro but its easy to wake up, run, eat breakfast right away, eat small meals often and drink a lot of water and not eat after 9. But I'm worried Im going to try to make the weight and get close but not close enough and have to pull out or fight at the higher weight at a disadvantage. Im thinking I might have to just pull an Adamek and fight and 178 with the big guys.

Any thoughts?

Suggestions?

I just bought a fat wild salmon. Mmm

Everything is much appreciated!

Last edited by alex-boxer42; 03-07-2010 at 05:26 PM.
alex-boxer42 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: 6 weeks to lose 14 pounds

I'd just lose the weight, plenty of time left.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

At this stage I would suggest training like a mad man. I wouldn't cut 14 pounds out this far out with not eating, drying out etc

Do your runs etc and see where your weight is in a few weeks. It may fly off if you train hard enough. I've seen slim guys lose ALOT of weight in a month when they start training for a fight.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

ya as said above, don't sweat the eating too much just yet. you can likely clean your diet right out near the end, say beginning 2-3 weeks and then go small meals hard at quasi-paleo, essentially nothing but fruits veggies and lean protein rich meats (chicken, lean steak etc) and likely take off another 10 no probs if need be, and you still have reducing water in small amounts if totally need be right at the end.

You'll still need some carbs ofc along the way, but use them wisely for fuel. small amounts pre-workouts and so on.

Maybe start cleaning the diet up now some, and keep doing that as you get closer. But really, if you start with a lot of working out, ur gonna need to fuel them.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-boxer42 View Post
Im no pro but its easy to wake up, run, eat breakfast right away, eat small meals often and drink a lot of water and not eat before 9.
Huh? Don't eat before 9? What's that about? That the time of day your body suddenly starts using calories or what?

Eat a bit less and train harder.

And eat breakfast THEN run.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
alex-boxer42
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Huh? Don't eat before 9? What's that about? That the time of day your body suddenly starts using calories or what?

Eat a bit less and train harder.

And eat breakfast THEN run.
Thank you, I fixed that error.

In my training camps before we ate after running but Im geussing your way is probably better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
ya as said above, don't sweat the eating too much just yet. you can likely clean your diet right out near the end, say beginning 2-3 weeks and then go small meals hard at quasi-paleo, essentially nothing but fruits veggies and lean protein rich meats (chicken, lean steak etc) and likely take off another 10 no probs if need be, and you still have reducing water in small amounts if totally need be right at the end.

You'll still need some carbs ofc along the way, but use them wisely for fuel. small amounts pre-workouts and so on.

Maybe start cleaning the diet up now some, and keep doing that as you get closer. But really, if you start with a lot of working out, ur gonna need to fuel them.
Ya Im training twice a day with meals in between, about 4 or 5 a day. Im going to get the necassery groceries to eat right. But I wont deny myself food for now. If Im bigger in two weeks Ill fight at 178, because I would like to challenge myself there anyway.

My doctor who does boxing matches told me not to eat fruits because they make you gain weight. Only meats and vegetables, bread, potatoes, rice(?goodorbad?)

By the way my doctore doesnt think I have the weight to lose, Im pretty skinny and 6'3, I think Im a little too big. I would definitly be dehydrated. Id thinking about eating and fighting with the big boys on this. We'll see how I am in two weeks. If I can lose 5 pounds then I will try to drop more.
alex-boxer42 is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

You think that you will definately be dehydrated and your doc says you will struggle to make weight, yet you still want to make 165? Personally, i'd be looking to move up a class if this was the case.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

lol meh. while I can understand your doc is looking after your health and that is good, he apparently is kinda stupid too suggesting you eat lots of breads, potatoes and rice as opposed to fruit in an effort to lose weight.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-boxer42 View Post
My doctor who does boxing matches told me not to eat fruits because they make you gain weight.
You should punch your doctor.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
You should punch your doctor.
x2, hes a doctor not a dietician. Ask hom for drugs not weight loss tips (kidding)
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

I don't think he means don't eat fruit. I think he means don't eat fruit the week of the fight. I think they make you retain water weight or some shit like that.

Boxers should train hard and fight at their natural weight. I can't condone anything other than a few pounds to make weight. You go too far and it WILL affect your game.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Boxers should train hard and fight at their natural weight. I can't condone anything other than a few pounds to make weight. You go too far and it WILL affect your game.

Couldn't have put it better myself!
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
I don't think he means don't eat fruit. I think he means don't eat fruit the week of the fight. I think they make you retain water weight or some shit like that.
Even if he meant that, that's not true either.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
MrPook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 335

I think eating fruit is fine. But don't drink fruitjuice (like orange juice) from the supermarket.
MrPook is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I tend to agree with every and anyone who suggests you should fight at your natural weight. The thing is, often our natural weight finds us stuck in the middle of a division. I'm applying this logic to tournaments btw, not club shows where who cares, come in as healthy and strong as possible because it works differently and you have lots of range to work with. (like 12 lbs higher or lower after welter?)

But for tours I'd rather be at the top end of a lesser weight then coming in light to a higher division. Where some guy(s) could have a lot if strength and power over you, and you end up fighting a guy who is naturally 15 lbs heavier who cut properly to get there.

And I use the word properly with emphasis. Because yes, if you cut wrong going down, as in try to water cut it all off at the end, or screw up the nutrients you need to train a long the way, you're gonna be a sick puppy come fight time. As well, putting yourself at risk of physical harm. And the worst kind too...that being your brain.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing