Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Which was the more embarrassing performance?
Liston vs Clay 10 24.39%
Duran vs Leonard II 21 51.22%
Not much between them 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Which was the more embarrassing "performance", Liston vs Clay or Duran vs Leonard II?

Trying to make up my mind and i'm looking for some arguments for either side.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which was the more embarrassing "performance", Liston vs Clay or Duran vs Leonard

I cannot separate the two.
Both disgraceful quit jobs.
Very damaging to the sport.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Which was the more embarrassing "performance", Liston vs Clay or Duran vs Leonard

Liston might actually have torn his rotator cuff, try punching when you've done that, I've had it and its seriously painful to punch and you end up punching with about 10% of the power you normally could. He still could have fought with 1 arm and made the best of it ofcourse but I think Ali had hurt him and he knew he was going to get stopped
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Liston might actually have torn his rotator cuff, try punching when you've done that, I've had it and its seriously painful to punch and you end up punching with about 10% of the power you normally could. He still could have fought with 1 arm and made the best of it ofcourse but I think Ali had hurt him and he knew he was going to get stopped
True, if the fight was on the level, he was probably hurt and handicapped by the shoulder injury.
Still, he could have gone hell for leather for the win and if he failed he would have gone out on his shield. As it was, he made the sport look bad.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Duran's. Easily. He fought like a narcoleptic and then turned his back on something that didn't even deserve to be called a battle. He was never hurt, marked up, or weary. At least Liston earned a hemotoma first.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Liston at least seen out the rd, Duran threw his hands up & said no mas.... Duran`s was probably the worst in the history of boxing were as Liston`s may very well have been valid - I have my doubts but it still doesnt top Duran`s.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

True. Liston was marked up pretty badly:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 03-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
RogerB
Super Middleweight
ESB Jr Member

Oliver McCall v Lennox Lewis ...WTF!!!
RogerB is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Some good points. Liston was bruised, tiring rapidly and perhaps injured whereas Duran seemed to be in fine shape physically. In Liston-Clay you could see the KO around the corner, very likely as Clay had predicted, while Duran seemed nowhere near suffering a KO/TKO.

Duran is clearly the worse quit job of the two IMO.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
Trying to make up my mind and i'm looking for some arguments for either side.
Which Liston-Clay? In the first, Clay was all over Liston. He overwhelmed him. Liston was injured at some point and couldn't continue. That happens sometimes. Same is true with Duran-Leonard. Duran was ill. The second Clay Liston fight was weird. I don't know what to think about that one. So if you mean that one, then that is clearly the more embarrassing.
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Liston injured his shoulders. There's documentation of the injury. The fight was so suspicious that the FBI investigated and you can see the X-Rays off his shoulder somewhere. He had a legit injury.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvel View Post
Which Liston-Clay? In the first, Clay was all over Liston. He overwhelmed him. Liston was injured at some point and couldn't continue. That happens sometimes. Same is true with Duran-Leonard. Duran was ill. The second Clay Liston fight was weird. I don't know what to think about that one. So if you mean that one, then that is clearly the more embarrassing.
The first one.

By the way, what do you mean "Clay was all over Liston" ?? Clay was running for the first three, no, five rounds. For good reason, too.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran vs Leonard II.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran's looked worse by doing it in the middle of the round, but in reality they both did the exact same thing - quit the fight, when really, they could have continued. Liston was still throwing hard punches with both hands in the round before he quit on his stool, and Duran did not fight like someone with a bad stomach ache. They decided to check out of fights that they did not think they could win, plain and simple.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
TAC602
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Last edited by TAC602; 04-03-2012 at 12:03 PM.
TAC602 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum