Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: who has the strongest chin?
MARCIANO 36 78.26%
FRAZIER 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153
Default Marciano vs Frazier: Who had the better chin?

Marciano was never Knocked out, but was sure knocked down, and he got hit many times in the chin and was hard to bring him down.

Frazier took alot of punishments against foreman and in the manila fight.

but in your honest opinion, which of these 2 hall of famers do YOU think has the strongest chin???.

Post and Vote.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marciano vs Frazier: Who had the better chin?

toss a coin. marciano never got hit by foreman. so who knows.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Marciano- he wasn't wobbled, floored or stopped as often as Frazier at any stage of his career.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Don't know. We know that both could take a long, steady beating i.e. lots of punishment. They were tough. But we don't know how Marciano would deal with a HIGH AMPLITUDE OF POWER shot from Lennox Lewis, who hit much harder than Archie Moore (most KOs ever of all fighters) or Ezzard Charles (who killed in the ring).
hobgoblin is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin
Don't know. We know that both could take a long, steady beating i.e. lots of punishment. They were tough. But we don't know how Marciano would deal with a HIGH AMPLITUDE OF POWER shot from Lennox Lewis, who hit much harder than Archie Moore (most KOs ever of all fighters) or Ezzard Charles (who killed in the ring).
hey bro, who's the chick in your avataar?
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ill go with Rock
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I think some of you are making a good point about Marciano not facing as hard a puncher as Frazier. That makes this one hard to call.

Marciano was floored, but was usually coming forward and hit while doing so. He never looked hurt. It may not be fair to say how he would stand up to larger shots, when he never really looked fazed by what did hit him.

Frazier's chin was tested by Foreman, and failed. It stood up to everyone else he faced.

The only thing I can base my decision on is how Frazier looked when others were hitting him. He looked like he was pushing thru when some were hitting him. Like it bothered him, but he was coming anyway. I never really saw Marciano with that look. It was like he was coming, and it didn't hurt.

Sorry, but that's all I can base this on. If I have to answer, Marciano.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
I think some of you are making a good point about Marciano not facing as hard a puncher as Frazier. That makes this one hard to call.

Marciano was floored, but was usually coming forward and hit while doing so. He never looked hurt. It may not be fair to say how he would stand up to larger shots, when he never really looked fazed by what did hit him.

Frazier's chin was tested by Foreman, and failed. It stood up to everyone else he faced.

The only thing I can base my decision on is how Frazier looked when others were hitting him. He looked like he was pushing thru when some were hitting him. Like it bothered him, but he was coming anyway. I never really saw Marciano with that look. It was like he was coming, and it didn't hurt.

Sorry, but that's all I can base this on. If I have to answer, Marciano.
This is not fair at all. People base Marciano's performance against guys who don't hit nearly as hard as Foreman and then judge Foreman against a guy considered by many to have the most power in both hands. If Marciano had to face George Foreman, he'd looked pretty bothered too and would probably do no better than Frazier.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Okay. It's fair to say that Foreman would hurt Marciano, without seeing Foreman hurt Marciano. How are you basing your decision? Marciano did not face a puncher in Foreman's league, so you have to take Foreman out of the equation. What are you left with? Their reactions to other's punches.

You may think it is unfair to give someone the nod in a question with no way to prove the results, but I still say Marciano. I won't care if you say Frazier.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #10
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano was suposed to be a guy that was hit often, yet he was only dropped twice, he recuped very fast and the force of the punches seemed to be the thing that dropped him because he rose fast, Frazier was dropped by Bonavena 2 times who was a clubber but lets face it O.B. could not wobble Patterson and Who did Oscar KO, A fighter that can throw a pinpoint power punch like Walcott, Moore and Charles can sometimes be more effective than a hard punching but slow clubber like Foreman because they can land punches that a Foreman can not, Walcott showed his hook vs Charles and also vs Marciano but he had a right hand also, he dropped Louis 3 times, Anyway Frazier got up 6 times vs Foreman and I think 2 times in the rematch, twice vs Bonavena and once vs another early foe so I think Frazier had a good chin but Marciano was never really hurt or in danger of being stopped, Marciano had an ELITE chin, Frazier had a very good one, Marciano had Elite recup power, Frazier had good recup power
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Frazier's son Marvis did not have a good chin but we will have to BLAME that on his MOMMA
Old 06-30-2007, 12:56 AM   #12
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

If you take out the last 5 fights of Roy Jones Jr - his chin is even better than Marciano's (and yes, RJJ did get tagged a few times).To put Marciano's chin as "elite" he MUST have faced an ELITE puncher with the power of someone like Dempsey or Foreman. The correct answer to this one is: can't tell IMO.

Last edited by Pat Robertson; 02-08-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 AM   #13
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin
This is not fair at all. People base Marciano's performance against guys who don't hit nearly as hard as Foreman and then judge Foreman against a guy considered by many to have the most power in both hands. If Marciano had to face George Foreman, he'd looked pretty bothered too and would probably do no better than Frazier.
Yes, it isn't fair to say Marciano's chin was better because he was knocked out by Foreman. But compare each guy's performances against similar levels of fighters and punchers. Frazier was decked during his amateur career(Marciano wasn't), Frazier took a standing-eight against no-name Mike Bruce(no such opponent ever did such to Marciano), Frazier was decked twice and seriously hurt against Bonavena(no one ever hurt Marciano that badly), and Frazier looks visibly rocked at times on film against the likes of Ramos and Ali(Marciano never really looks wobbled by the other man's punches on film). On the other hand, Marciano was never floored as an amateur, never down in his first 42 pro fights, and suffered only two extremely brief knockdowns against powerful hitters who each landed some of their best shots and were unable to seriously stagger him or accomplish anything more than a flash knockdown. It seems apparent to me that Marciano was rocked and dropped less often than Frazier at any given stage of their careers and against any given level of puncher. The reasonable conclusion here is that Marciano was probably the more durable man.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano Frazier
Yes, it isn't fair to say Marciano's chin was better because he was knocked out by Foreman. But compare each guy's performances against similar levels of fighters and punchers. Frazier was decked during his amateur career(Marciano wasn't), Frazier took a standing-eight against no-name Mike Bruce(no such opponent ever did such to Marciano), Frazier was decked twice and seriously hurt against Bonavena(no one ever hurt Marciano that badly), and Frazier looks visibly rocked at times on film against the likes of Ramos and Ali(Marciano never really looks wobbled by the other man's punches on film). On the other hand, Marciano was never floored as an amateur, never down in his first 42 pro fights, and suffered only two extremely brief knockdowns against powerful hitters who each landed some of their best shots and were unable to seriously stagger him or accomplish anything more than a flash knockdown. It seems apparent to me that Marciano was rocked and dropped less often than Frazier at any given stage of their careers and against any given level of puncher. The reasonable conclusion here is that Marciano was probably the more durable man.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I go with Marciano because Frazier was droped more often and by lesser punchers.

If the worst puncher to put you on the deck was either Joe Walcott or Archie Moore then it is fair to say that your chin is prety solid.

Conversley, if you don't think that Marciano's chin was all that then you have to upgrade your estimate of his defence.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum