Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #16
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: The 140 division is becoming more clear, Bradley and Alexander ones to beat for K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan1982 View Post
No one really knows if he's ready or not. Especially with the poor quality of opponents he has faced so far. Malignaggi will be a decent test for him. The most interesting thing for me is what happens when he gets caught with a decent shot. It's bound to happen sooner or later with the step up in opposition.
You're like the anti-Darni.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: The 140 division is becoming more clear, Bradley and Alexander ones to beat for K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
You're like the anti-Darni.
, today it was a fair post by him at least.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #18
johna_83
31/10/2010
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Slightly offtopic but according to Khan's twitter the fight is definitely sealed for the 15th, press conference with Oscar and Paulie in London on Friday. He's also on Soccer AM on Sat.

Back on topic, if the reports are true about the clause in both Maidana and Cayo's contract, Khan wont be fighting either of them provided he beats Paulie.

I think he'll beat Paulie, fight Marquez, then if succesful fight either Bradley or Alexander.
johna_83 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Marquez would be a nice fight for Khan. He's still a credible name, one loss to Mayweather at 147 doesn't change that. At 140 he'd still be a good fighter, not long ago he knocked out Diaz and Casamayor.

But Khan has a massive stylistic edge over him being taller, longer arms, very good speed and movement. That will make it hard for Marquez to get his counterpunching game going.

I'd like to see that one for Khan.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Hattons got Marquez whenever he wants him.
Guy is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #21
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Marquez would be a nice fight for Khan. He's still a credible name, one loss to Mayweather at 147 doesn't change that. At 140 he'd still be a good fighter, not long ago he knocked out Diaz and Casamayor.

But Khan has a massive stylistic edge over him being taller, longer arms, very good speed and movement. That will make it hard for Marquez to get his counterpunching game going.

I'd like to see that one for Khan.
I still see 135 as the ceiling for Marquez's efficacy, and wish he would take the elevator back down a couple floors. Marquez-Khan at LW would be (or would have been) very cool.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I still see 135 as the ceiling for Marquez's efficacy, and wish he would take the elevator back down a couple floors. Marquez-Khan at LW would be (or would have been) very cool.
Ideally, of course. But I don't think it could be claimed a quality fighter like Marquez at 135 wouldn't be good at 140 just 5lbs north. It was jumping 2 divisions against the best fighter who is a nightmare to fight for a less talented counterpuncher that was the major problem.

But yeah, Khan has the height and reach and speed advantage which is why I say its a good fight from his POV.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #23
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Quote:
Ideally, of course. But I don't think it could be claimed a quality fighter like Marquez at 135 wouldn't be good at 140 just 5lbs north. It was jumping 2 divisions against the best fighter who is a nightmare to fight for a less talented counterpuncher that was the major problem.

But yeah, Khan has the height and reach and speed advantage which is why I say its a good fight from his POV.
Yeah, I don't think it's so much an issue where his speed or power would significantly diminish from where they were against Diaz and Casamayor (though they suffered badly only 2 lbs over the limit against Floyd), but rather that the men at light welterweight on average are going to be bigger, taller, stronger, and more durable. Diaz and Casamayor were both exceptionally durable lightweights, but they were still lightweights. I don't know that JMM landing the same punches with the same accuracy and oomph behind them on a guy like Maidana is going to gain him ground as it did against a comparable (in pound-for-pound durability) but smaller Diaz.

Khan certainly fits just as well having moved up to 140 as he looked at 135, natural at either weight - and relies more on his speed, skill and getting torque to maximize the decent power he's retained moving up rather than size and strength. He won't be as likely to blink off JMM's shots at either weight as most others, so if he gets caught he's in trouble - but his speed loss from 135 to 140 is negligible compared to Juan's...so Amir can probably circle his way to a win fairly easily.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #24
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Okay this is a guarantee. I will suck a dick if Im wrong.

First of all, there is a clause in the Khan GBP contract agreement where the mandatory CAN NOT fight Khan for 3 fights.

So don't expect him to Fight the winner of Maidana-Cayo

I see him fighting the winner of Ortiz-Campbell fight, Zab Judah, JMM or Ricky Hatton

So,

Victor Ortiz
Nate Campbell
Zab Judah
Juan Manuel Marquez
Ricky Hatton

I can guarantee it will be one of them.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

I think JMM team have already turned Khan down, and word has it Maidana cant fight Khan for 3 fights, who could he fight after Paulie if he beats him?
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Yeah, I don't think it's so much an issue where his speed or power would significantly diminish from where they were against Diaz and Casamayor (though they suffered badly only 2 lbs over the limit against Floyd), but rather that the men at light welterweight on average are going to be bigger, taller, stronger, and more durable. Diaz and Casamayor were both exceptionally durable lightweights, but they were still lightweights. I don't know that JMM landing the same punches with the same accuracy and oomph behind them on a guy like Maidana is going to gain him ground as it did against a comparable (in pound-for-pound durability) but smaller Diaz.
I think Marquez's power would hold up just fine against somebody like Maidana. Most importantly he's very precise, Maidana was hurt by Ortiz who is powerful but Marquez has the added experience to pick his shots and he is deadly accurate.

His main problem would be the height and reach, its difficult to counterpunch bigger men that are good athletes who keep it at range. Even Chris John a smaller man made it very difficult with movement. When Marquez has to come forward he's not as effective as we've seen. I think Khan could force him to assume that role and it would be very difficult for him.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Okay this is a guarantee. I will suck a dick if Im wrong.

First of all, there is a clause in the Khan GBP contract agreement where the mandatory CAN NOT fight Khan for 3 fights.

So don't expect him to Fight the winner of Maidana-Cayo

I see him fighting the winner of Ortiz-Campbell fight, Zab Judah, JMM or Ricky Hatton

So,

Victor Ortiz
Nate Campbell
Zab Judah
Juan Manuel Marquez
Ricky Hatton

I can guarantee it will be one of them.
Yeah to me this also looks like the list that would be the options after Paulie.
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #28
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
I think Marquez's power would hold up just fine against somebody like Maidana. Most importantly he's very precise, Maidana was hurt by Ortiz who is powerful but Marquez has the added experience to pick his shots and he is deadly accurate.

His main problem would be the height and reach, its difficult to counterpunch bigger men that are good athletes who keep it at range. Even Chris John a smaller man made it very difficult with movement. When Marquez has to come forward he's not as effective as we've seen. I think Khan could force him to assume that role and it would be very difficult for him.
i think marquez wud be able to time khan in and he goes in and out of range in straight lights. i think marquez has the power to hurt khan at 140
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #29
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
i think marquez wud be able to time khan in and he goes in and out of range in straight lights. i think marquez has the power to hurt khan at 140
He definitely would catch him, Marquez is too good not to. Thats part of the deal when fighting a top guy. He even caught Mayweather once with a right hand

But in general I would fancy Khan to pick up a lot of rounds as long as he remains upright.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #30
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
He definitely would catch him, Marquez is too good not to. Thats part of the deal when fighting a top guy. He even caught Mayweather once with a right hand

But in general I would fancy Khan to pick up a lot of rounds as long as he remains upright.
and thats something he's very capable of doing but for how much longer can marquez go. would hate for him to have to retire after taking beatings from that **** mayweather and then khan
LP_1985 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum