Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Berto Vs. Quintana - Live on Sky Sports Sat 10th April

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHatton View Post
Yeah but I wouldnt say Berto is a mega world name, he isnt the same bracket as the Mayweathers, Mosleys, Pacquiaos of this world, so it could be a sign of things to come.
We do like clutching at straws if we think it could mean more boxing on TV.

Berto is an HBO "project", Sky are just following suit.
GazOC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishWay View Post
more big fights would be great but theres no need to **** off our domestic scene fights.
I wouldn't change the amount of domestic fights shown, if so it would only be slightly less.

But there would be a block put on plenty of fighters and/or some fights that don't appeal to the public.

Sky have really upped their game (generally) by comparison to two years ago, but a few of their fights have been a bit of a let down.... some you could see coming (Hatton-N'Dou) and others you couldn't (Norton-Dolan II).

Given that Sky are the sole screener of boxing in Britain, they could really put their foot down and force a lot of potentially great fights to happen..... rather than the usual ''let's build the fight'' bullshit that seems to happen so much.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
EnglishWay
KO King 2010
ESB Addict

vCash: 1197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I wouldn't change the amount of domestic fights shown, if so it would only be slightly less.

But there would be a block put on plenty of fighters and/or some fights that don't appeal to the public.

Sky have really upped their game (generally) by comparison to two years ago, but a few of their fights have been a bit of a let down.... some you could see coming (Hatton-N'Dou) and others you couldn't (Norton-Dolan II).

Given that Sky are the sole screener of boxing in Britain, they could really put their foot down and force a lot of potentially great fights to happen..... rather than the usual ''let's build the fight'' bullshit that seems to happen so much.
leave Hatton-Ndou fight alone i was at ringside.
EnglishWay is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #19
hagman1989
the boxing site , try it
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuppercut View Post
If they pick up the card the week later I might just scream like a girl.

i just did
hagman1989 is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #20
chrisfinch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Yeah, I'd agree. In an ideal world, there would be slightly fewer shows that last for 3 hours or so on a saturday night-but realistically that probably won't happen.

I think we'd probably agree that Maloney seems to put on the most FFN's (at least it feels like that) with some of his cards good, and some poor. Try and combine the two like he did with that show in bolton last year. Moore v Rhodes as the main event, then Edwards and Davis on the undercard and it was great. Just a shame sky gave it the regular two hours.

****** (sadly) does it quite well. He doesn't run as many shows these days, but the ones he does have tend to be quite crammed. As much as his PPV cards are a rip-off on sky (mainly down to them for not showing all of it), for the paying attendee they are pretty good.

Out of interest, do people think Khan v Malignaggi will be SBO? You'd presume so, but with Khan not being with FW any more perhaps not. However, surely a deal with 'Khan Promotions' would have PPV as a requirement.

Say the Mitchell v Katsidis fight is moved forward a week to the 15th, and stick Burns v Martinez on it as well and there's a dam good UK leg of a PPV there.
chrisfinch is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
theuppercut
Blackpudding supper
ESB Addict

I reckon Khan v Paulie will be ppv regardless. It's his American debut they'll promote the crap out of it. Sky Sports News will be on it like flies on shit etc etc Sky etc etc Sky
theuppercut is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #22
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I don't blame the promoters, I blame the TV execs.

As you said.... Maloney put together Moore vs Rhodes, Davies vs Napa and another title fight, but they only showed the main event and highlights of the others - despite the main event lasting 7 rounds rather than 12.

Likewise on a box office show they say the old ''that's all we've got time for'' line, despite there being **** all on until about 7am the following morning. Why not show the entire bloody card - minus commentary or whatever if necessary.

****** is doing pretty well, matching the youngsters up against domestic opposition with identities and form, rather than Maloney who seems to have a human trafficking racket going on from eastern Europe.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #23
chrisfinch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I reckon Khan v Paulie will be ppv regardless. It's his American debut they'll promote the crap out of it. Sky Sports News will be on it like flies on shit etc etc Sky etc etc Sky
Admittedly I haven't watched much SSN recently, but where the **** is the 'flies on shit' stuff about Haye v Ruiz. It all seems to be about Pacquiao v Clottey (now) and Mosley v Mayweather (last week).

Seems very un-sky like to not be mentioning the Haye fight, it's less than a month away.

I guess after this weekend it'll be more of "YOU MUST BUY THE HAYE FIGHT", and "Here's Ed Robinson with an exclusive look inside haye's training camp" and Aled Jones going "It's a 50/50 fight" even though it'll probably be shit cos Ruiz is boring.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #24
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Great news but why can't Sky make a deal to show Top Rank cards like Latin Fury or Pinoy Power fights like Setanta.

I'm sure they don't charge the earth as it's a bit of a niche market but they could always expand on the boxing audience they already have by introducing them to exciting fighters like Gamboa, Donaire, Valero etc
Guy is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #25
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

****** is doing pretty well, matching the youngsters up against domestic opposition with identities and form, rather than Maloney who seems to have a human trafficking racket going on from eastern Europe.
Fair point
Guy is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
theuppercut
Blackpudding supper
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Great news but why can't Sky make a deal to show Top Rank cards like Latin Fury or Pinoy Power fights like Setanta.

I'm sure they don't charge the earth as it's a bit of a niche market but they could always expand on the boxing audience they already have by introducing them to exciting fighters like Gamboa, Donaire, Valero etc
They've missed a trick not showing the Gamboa - Lopez cards and bigging the potential fight up.
theuppercut is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
chrisfinch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I don't blame the promoters, I blame the TV execs.

As you said.... Maloney put together Moore vs Rhodes, Davies vs Napa and another title fight, but they only showed the main event and highlights of the others - despite the main event lasting 7 rounds rather than 12.

Likewise on a box office show they say the old ''that's all we've got time for'' line, despite there being **** all on until about 7am the following morning. Why not show the entire bloody card - minus commentary or whatever if necessary.

Your on about "why not show the whole card"-and your right. Sky tend to film (and do commentary) of most of the fights on a bill, yet you usually only ever see two or three-so why not show it all?

It's criminal on PPV's, that start at say 6pm and don't come on air till 9. There is **** all on that SBO channel apart from previews, so why not show all the stuff you are filming? You don't even need dave darts and co till 9, just have Darkie and Watt doing a brief hello at the start and then commentate on the fights. It's not going to cost them much more, if anything extra, but would make me a lot more inclined to buy the UK PPVs.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #28
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Exactly.

It would make the coverage that much better.

They could always alter the coverage depending on what time they wanted it to start, so the main event went out at the optimum time.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #29
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
They've missed a trick not showing the Gamboa - Lopez cards and bigging the potential fight up.

Exactly they could even re-run the fights in the run up to that fight being made
Guy is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #30
rooq
East Side Guru

fantastic. i like the way everything is on SS1 as well as thats all i'm currently paying for...it annoyed me when they seemed to randomly switch the boxing between different sky sports channels last year.
rooq is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum