Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #31
HitmanHatton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Berto Vs. Quintana - Live on Sky Sports Sat 10th April

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfinch View Post

Your on about "why not show the whole card"-and your right. Sky tend to film (and do commentary) of most of the fights on a bill, yet you usually only ever see two or three-so why not show it all?

It's criminal on PPV's, that start at say 6pm and don't come on air till 9. There is **** all on that SBO channel apart from previews, so why not show all the stuff you are filming? You don't even need dave darts and co till 9, just have Darkie and Watt doing a brief hello at the start and then commentate on the fights. It's not going to cost them much more, if anything extra, but would make me a lot more inclined to buy the UK PPVs.
Cant disagree with any of that mate, I was a bit disappointed with the Khan card last time out because I thought they would have shown the three Olympians live and mabye the Alex Arthur fight.
HitmanHatton is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #32
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Exactly they could even re-run the fights in the run up to that fight being made
More chance of a 1 hour highlights special than getting the fights replayed IMHO.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #33
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
More chance of a 1 hour highlights special than getting the fights replayed IMHO.

Yeah you're probably right but even that would create a bit of background and excitement for your casual sky sports, bit of boxing fan.

The talents out there they just need to seize upon it and package the fighters and different rivalries.
Guy is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #34
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

if they showed the whole card do u think the promoters wud ask for more money. not sure
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #35
Chinny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

We moan like *****es when they ignore stuff, so in the interests of balance

well done sky
Chinny is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #36
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Yeah you're probably right but even that would create a bit of background and excitement for your casual sky sports, bit of boxing fan.

The talents out there they just need to seize upon it and package the fighters and different rivalries.
Its a shame, the way to build these type of fights up is by gradually showing enough fights/ fighters so that when 2 of them meet sports fans have an idea who they are.

I'm realistic and don't expect Sky to show all the "B-level" cards live in order to hopefully build up a fight 2 years down the line but I don't think a weekly 2 hour magazine programme that could catch up with the best of the world action is too much to ask, and would help make casual fans appreciate fights like Gamboa-Lopez.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #37
chrisfinch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
if they showed the whole card do u think the promoters wud ask for more money. not sure
Nah, you'd have thought they would prefer it that way, so more of their talent can be showcased-thus more chance of making money off them in the future.
chrisfinch is online now  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #38
HitmanHatton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Its a shame, the way to build these type of fights up is by gradually showing enough fights/ fighters so that when 2 of them meet sports fans have an idea who they are.

I'm realistic and don't expect Sky to show all the "B-level" cards live in order to hopefully build up a fight 2 years down the line but I don't think a weekly 2 hour magazine programme that could catch up with the best of the world action is too much to ask, and would help make casual fans appreciate fights like Gamboa-Lopez.
When I first started getting into Boxing big time a bit back, Sky used to do a show called Ringside, that was a good show, whatever happened to that??
Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #39
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Nah, you'd have thought they would prefer it that way, so more of their talent can be showcased-thus more chance of making money off them in the future.
yea but they cud also say that some people are tuning in to watch undercard fights AND main event so want more money. cant see the harm myself in showing the whole card but how would that effect ticket sales at the arena
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #40
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHatton View Post
When I first started getting into Boxing big time a bit back, Sky used to do a show called Ringside, that was a good show, whatever happened to that??
Thats exactly what I was thinking about mate, duuno why it got pulled.

Years ago even ITV and BBC prgrammes like World of Sport or GrandStand would take time to show us the "next big things" from America.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #41
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

That would do the trick, is Bunce a naughty word down at Sky Towers?
Guy is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #42
HitmanHatton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
yea but they cud also say that some people are tuning in to watch undercard fights AND main event so want more money. cant see the harm myself in showing the whole card but how would that effect ticket sales at the arena
Maybe they could do cheaper tickets if they are getting a bit more money off Sky.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #43
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHatton View Post
Maybe they could do cheaper tickets if they are getting a bit more money off Sky.
in an ideal world but wud u travel to london manchester to watch the whole card or stay at home and watch the whole card. cudnt see ticket prices dropping tho
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #44
chrisfinch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
in an ideal world but wud u travel to london manchester to watch the whole card or stay at home and watch the whole card. cudnt see ticket prices dropping tho
Fair point, I think one of the attractions for going to the boxing for me is that it's better in person.

Unlike most sports, you see a hell of a lot more going in person than on TV. As good as it is to go to a big football or cricket match, you can sit in comfort at home watching, saving 100-odd quid, get loads of camera angles and commentary.

With boxing, you see so much more in person than on TV. Plus 30 for a great view at a typical 4 or 5 hour domestic FFN isn't bad value at all. Much rather that than a live main event, and a few highlights on TV.

But your right, I'd think twice about travelling long-ish distances if I could see the whole card on TV.
chrisfinch is online now  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #45
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Fair point, I think one of the attractions for going to the boxing for me is that it's better in person.

Unlike most sports, you see a hell of a lot more going in person than on TV. As good as it is to go to a big football or cricket match, you can sit in comfort at home watching, saving 100-odd quid, get loads of camera angles and commentary.

With boxing, you see so much more in person than on TV. Plus 30 for a great view at a typical 4 or 5 hour domestic FFN isn't bad value at all. Much rather that than a live main event, and a few highlights on TV.

But your right, I'd think twice about travelling long-ish distances if I could see the whole card on TV.
id preferv to watch in person but just think it mite make people think twice. i love when u get butterflies when ur watching a fighter u like. cant beat it
LP_1985 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum