Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Jack Dempseys stamina

I think the only fight in which he scored a knockout beyond 8 was against Brennan. Of course that need not indicate bad stamina. Must of the fights he ended by early KO which obviously eliminates the possibilty to prove the ability to score a late knockout.

How would you rank it on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being Foreman-like, 5 being Marciano/Ali/Frazier/Jeffries-like.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Dempseys stamina

You have to realise though that he fought out in the heat which is far more difficult to do so rather then indoor boxing matches, understandebly because of the heat. Watch him against Gibbons, two year layoff, but he was still throwing alot of punches even at the end
dmt is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

He had excelent stamina and workrate over fifteen rounds.

Perhaps some lingering question about whether he caried his power late.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

he got KO'd once in his only 6 losses, the rest were POINTS and Unanimous Decision.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
JimmyShimmy
1050 psi
ESB Full Member

4, possibly higher.

Dempsey trained for the long haul (6-7 miles everyday, sparring and further sprinting), but he usually got business over with quickly.
JimmyShimmy is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Dempsey thew a lot of punches, and to the best of my knowledge continued to throw a lot of punches. I think his inability to KO guys late is more to do with the type of fighter he was than with his stamina.

I'd say 4, as far as elite boxers go.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

what would you rate him hank?
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Dempsey booster Damon Runyon called Jack's 15 rounder with Gibbons the fastest heavyweight fight ever fought. Tommy was fading at the end, after over pacing himself through the earlier part of the match. Gibbons peaked later in his career than most boxers, and was in the best shape of his career for the title. Dempsey was coming off a two year layoff. If the Gibbons defense had been scheduled for 20, Tommy may not have finished on his feet, despite Dempsey's inactivity.

Doc Kearns blamed Dempsey's poor performance in the Brennan defense to his violation of the pre-bout celibacy rule, and it's also likely that he took Brennan lightly because of the relatively easy kayo win in their earlier meeting. Still, Dempsey had enough dynamite left to drop the larger Brennan for the count with bodyshots, indicating very solid staying power.

It's helpful to recall how torrid the heat and humidity were when he won the title in Toledo, against a defending champion who demonstrated all-time staying power against Jack Johnson in Havana. In a stifling environment, where it was difficult to get any oxygen, he tore away at a ferocious pace through tha last half of the first round, trying desperately to win Kearns's one round kayo bet, was hustled out of the ring quickly, had to rush back in, and resume boxing without any rest between rounds, and still managed not to be outlasted by the endurance champion of Cuba. Today, most fighters who expend themselves like that, in such a situation and climate, would be done for if they failed to take their opponents out, right then and there.

I'll give Jack a 4. I can't rate him higher, simply because he didn't have any occasion to perform late, beyond Brennan and Gibbons. I think he compares closely to Louis in the stamina department.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum

I'll give Jack a 4. I can't rate him higher, simply because he didn't have any occasion to perform late, beyond Brennan and Gibbons. I think he compares closely to Louis in the stamina department.
Do you mean by that that Louis has a bit more stamina, or a bit less?

I think Louis should rank a bit higher than Dempsey in terms of stamina.
It's hard though. You can say that because Dempsey usually went in for the kill early on and moved faster, therefore spending more energy whereas Louis was extremely efficient. Different pacings.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Doc Kearns blamed Dempsey's poor performance in the Brennan defense to his violation of the pre-bout celibacy rule, and it's also likely that he took Brennan lightly because of the relatively easy kayo win in their earlier meeting.
To his credit, Brennan didn't make any such mistakes and came into the fight in fantastic shape. This fight could easily have been Dempsey's "Buster Douglas moment" if it weren't for Dempsey's durability and stamina. After getting hammered early Dempsey picks up steam in the middle rounds and keeps pushing the pace until his 12th-round KO. I don't see it as a "poor performance" at all. I think we get a better idea of Dempsey's actual skill, athleticism, and tenacity here than in, say, the one-sided destruction of Jess Willard.
UpWithEvil is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

so you got the fight complete than wow.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Chaney
Mystery and Imagination
ESB Jr Member

In his book, Kings of the Ring, Gavin Evans gives a mean assessment of Dempsey, both inside and outside the ring.

He claims that Dempsey's stamina was poor. He said that in the Willard fight Jack was lucky the bout was stopped when it was, as he was himself on the point of exhaustion.

Thoughts?
Chaney is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

he he threw alot of shots but from what i see he just doesnt hit as hard later but still has the ability to throw the punches.

this would be a very useful technique to switch form hard shots to soft but point hitting shots later in the bout.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Your body has fast twitch, and slow twitch, muscle fibers. The description of Dempsey in articles, plus what film we have of him, looks as though he has more fast than slow. Fast fibers give you more speed bursts, but they also burn out quicker. Because he was an explosive puncher, rather than a thudding type, the steam comes off quicker. He looked like he had enough wind to keep fighting, but the umphhh probably burned up after 8.

If you are asking about stamina, and meaning the ability to last, probably an 8 or 10. If you are talking about his punches meaning as much late as they did early, more like a 5.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaney
In his book, Kings of the Ring, Gavin Evans gives a mean assessment of Dempsey, both inside and outside the ring.

He claims that Dempsey's stamina was poor. He said that in the Willard fight Jack was lucky the bout was stopped when it was, as he was himself on the point of exhaustion.

Thoughts?

I think, having seen the fight, the description of Dempsey as the lucky one in that stoppage is a little odd. What was it? Broken eye socket, broken cheek bone, three broken ribs?

Dempsey looked ok to me as far as it goes, but he basically spent an unprecidented amount of time throwing power punches - possibley still unequaled to this day in fact. Knacker anyone a bit.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum