Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
Chris Hansen
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Is it too late for me?

What's up everyone? Just had a quick question thats been bothering me for a while..

Am I too old to box? I'm 22 years old, turning 23 in April. I boxed some amateur fights when I was younger (12-14) but that it. I have such a passion for the sport; I watch every fight (that I can) still shadowbox to warm at the gym (normal gym not boxing) am pretty damn accurate when I "call" fights, and love to talk about the sport. I'm training for the firefighters physical exam in july and I am in good shape. I'm still very familiar with all boxing training equipment I recently went to a boxing gym and trained 9 rounds, and the coach there said I looked like ive been boxing for years. I lift weights regularly, and according to the coach "hits hard" ...should I get into it? and how would I being someone who hasn't boxed in a long time?

22-23 next month
6'1
205 walking around weight, but can cut down to 185 if need be and still keep power
Chris Hansen is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179
Default Re: Is it too late for me?

Of course you can do it, just get into the gym and work as hard as you can. Get some amateur fights asap and see where it goes from there. You've got nothing to lose so get in there and find out. Better to know for sure rather than not go and wonder if you could have for the rest of your life.

Let us know how it goes
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
andriy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 100

dude, are you serious?

of course!
andriy is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
What's up everyone? Just had a quick question thats been bothering me for a while..

Am I too old to box? I'm 22 years old, turning 23 in April. I boxed some amateur fights when I was younger (12-14) but that it. I have such a passion for the sport; I watch every fight (that I can) still shadowbox to warm at the gym (normal gym not boxing) am pretty damn accurate when I "call" fights, and love to talk about the sport. I'm training for the firefighters physical exam in july and I am in good shape. I'm still very familiar with all boxing training equipment I recently went to a boxing gym and trained 9 rounds, and the coach there said I looked like ive been boxing for years. I lift weights regularly, and according to the coach "hits hard" ...should I get into it? and how would I being someone who hasn't boxed in a long time?

22-23 next month
6'1
205 walking around weight, but can cut down to 185 if need be and still keep power
No. You're 5 years and 16 days too old. Don't even try.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

I had my first a month before I turned 33, and had 5 more after that. I'll never be a world champion but I would not trade it for the world. I can fight till December, after that I'm no longer allowed to enter a ring as an amateur. So no you are not too late, you can still fight for 11 more years.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
I had my first a month before I turned 33, and had 5 more after that. I'll never be a world champion but I would not trade it for the world. I can fight till December, after that I'm no longer allowed to enter a ring as an amateur. So no you are not too late, you can still fight for 11 more years.
do you have plans yet RDJ for hitting 34? like can you still do masters, or have you/are you considering pro fights?
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
do you have plans yet RDJ for hitting 34? like can you still do masters, or have you/are you considering pro fights?
I turn 34 in May, rules stipulate I can finish this year. But no I haven't thought about it yet. I'll probably be miserable if I can't fight any more so I'll have to think of something. Masters is not possible in Doucheland, there simply are no fights. I could do a pro fight but I don't really like the idea.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Quote:

22-23 next month
6'1
Are you too old to box? To me, as long as you are able, you are never too old to box.

If you were really asking if you're too old to ever be a contender, then I honestly wouldn't know.

If you enjoy the sport and enjoy training, by all means give it all you got.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:

22-23 next month
6'1
It's never too late. The key to the equation, regardless of age, is COMMITMENT. Anything is possible if you simply dedicate yourself and be disciplined with your diet and training.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
I turn 34 in May, rules stipulate I can finish this year. But no I haven't thought about it yet. I'll probably be miserable if I can't fight any more so I'll have to think of something. Masters is not possible in Doucheland, there simply are no fights. I could do a pro fight but I don't really like the idea.

Doucheland? do u mean you're in germany?
The reason i ask is because im going to be visiting germany soon and would love to have a n amature fight there...
Porkchop is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Man, I am 36 and have been banging the bags and working at it for probably 10 years. I've just recently got into a boxing gym and plan on doing Masters once I get into the right condition...which is a long way off.

I'm 6ft 285, so you are in MUCH better shape that me!

Go for it man. You are never too old.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
billy boy balbo

good luck mate i know what its like im 18 and worried that im getting to old for boxing haha
billy boy balbo is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
gatto
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

it IS too late...you're gonna have to work harder than everyone else in your gym and be known as ambitious or you wont get anywhere. . .Now go for gold
gatto is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Doucheland? do u mean you're in germany?
The reason i ask is because im going to be visiting germany soon and would love to have a n amature fight there...
Netherlands. I'm Dutch.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tomorrow is too late.
thejokerswild is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing